Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate in Perth

Desperate in Perth

Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate in Perth

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It is however illegal to arrive on a tourist visa with the intention of living in Australia. Tourist visas are for tourists. Business short stay visas are for people who wish to come looking for jobs and attend interviews. If one is coming on a tourist visa to secure a sponsor then they cannot truthfully say on their landing card that they are here for holidays.
Thats what I said. The purpose of the tourist visa is a holiday.
However its not illegal if someone finds a sponsor while on holiday here.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No it's not illegal to find a sponsor however the point people (myself included) were making was that the OP coming on a tourist visa with the intent of finding a sponsor so they didn't have to leave was illegal.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Is that a genuine question? Seems a little off topic if so.

If you are being funny then why is it that of all the responses on the thread, you feel the need to be sarcastic about one that offers advice on the legitimate way to do things? Seriosuly, why not have a go at somebody who encourages others to commit visa fraud and risk being banend from Australia.

I post a lot on immigraiton questions and I also choose not to offer advice on how I think somebody could break and bend the rules. This is my choice and I don't expect to be criticised for it.
I would not worry about him or her as they think they are the original funny man but they will come to relise if they carry on how boring they sound.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Just to clarify, we are here on holiday with no intention of working whilst on a tourist visa, however whilst we are here we shall be looking for possibilities for the future but by no means will anything be illegal, we have 2 working age children one of which has a working visa the other one just left school at home, we are enjoying our holiday here and think it is a beautiful country so why would we not want to stay if it were possible,
Thanks for the above quote about it not being illegal, was getting a bit worried there,
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:21 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoo
Just to clarify, we are here on holiday with no intention of working whilst on a tourist visa, however whilst we are here we shall be looking for possibilities for the future but by no means will anything be illegal, we have 2 working age children one of which has a working visa the other one just left school at home, we are enjoying our holiday here and think it is a beautiful country so why would we not want to stay if it were possible,
Thanks for the above quote about it not being illegal, was getting a bit worried there,
All sounds perfectly legal to me
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:44 am
Just Joined

vinnybow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eugene43
I would not worry about him or her as they think they are the original funny man but they will come to relise if they carry on how boring they sound.
boring is what some of your views on immigration are, rules laws and regulations were made by men, some hundreds of years ago that have no place in todays society. just because it,s legal doesn,t mean its right. you live in a country settled by convicts and what about the fair go attitude regards. good white stock vinny and family
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many people toying with the idea of emigrating go to that country on a holiday to see if they think it would suit them.

If it's a positive experience do they not make some work inquiries whilst there?

It's still a holiday.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinnybow
boring is what some of your views on immigration are, rules laws and regulations were made by men, some hundreds of years ago that have no place in todays society. just because it,s legal doesn,t mean its right. you live in a country settled by convicts and what about the fair go attitude regards. good white stock vinny and family
Please dont prove me right. you will get great info on here but trying to be clever will do you no favours.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:08 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bix
I wonder how many people toying with the idea of emigrating go to that country on a holiday to see if they think it would suit them.

If it's a positive experience do they not make some work inquiries whilst there?

It's still a holiday.
Exactly.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:26 am
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice

What if I go to Australia on a 12 month working holiday visa and happen to start a small business. Say invest 50k in a surfboard renting shop. Would they let me stay after that?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoo
I think people were confused about your intentions with your last sentence - "any info that might help me and my desperate family to stay here and not have to return to the UK???"

As stated before it sounds like you want to stay indefinitely rather than suss it out, go home and apply then come back........
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastresort
What if I go to Australia on a 12 month working holiday visa and happen to start a small business. Say invest 50k in a surfboard renting shop. Would they let me stay after that?
Probably depends on where you want to locate your surfboard rental shop. Alice probably don't have much call and so you may struggle to create enough business to be accepted.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No, not unless you qualify for a business skills visa or another substantive visa. You can't rock up on a WHV and expect to stay forever. While some may manage to get sponsorship for PR or 457, it's not the norm and certainly I wouldn't sink money into buying a business when you will likely have to leave at the end of the year.

Besides, you can only work for any employer for a maximum of 6 months on the WHV. Owning a business you would be working for the business, so therefore more than the 6 month limit which is in breach of your visa conditions.

If you want to own a surf shop here you can apply for a business skills visa if you can show proof of successful prior business ownership.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Desperate in Perth

Originally Posted by Bix

It's still a holiday.
Yeh you're right mate and that's exactly what I did myself. However I didn't enter Australia on my tourist visa with the intention of ever working until I had left Australia and applied for a visa that allowed me to work.

ie if Immigration had said "are you here to work" I would have completely honestly be able to say no.

It's a fine line.

BB
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Business ownership visa details......

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/busin...sa-options.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.