Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate in Perth

Desperate in Perth

Old Oct 10th 2010, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate in Perth

Originally Posted by daisymoo
we would never seek the services of a migration agent as we ourselves can do everything that they will do for us minus the costs,
I think it is a shame you did not use an agent, because an agent might have advised you what a reckless path you were starting out on.

we have done nothing wrong
Debatable. Australian immigration could take a very dim view on what you have done. Tourist visas are for tourists. Do you have evidence of this advice you received, you might need it.

So you are over the age of 45 and do not qualify for skilled migration and would thus only ever get PR if your skills are such that you can prove an exceptional circumstances - is this the case? What are your occupations? Please don't say chef and hairdresser.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

@ Daisymoo.

Just wondering if an employer had offered you sponsorship providing you worked for a 3 month trial before hand, what would you have done then?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Barnsley to Uxbridge to Southampton and eventually to Iluka....
Gert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really nice

Looking for sponsorship for 457 visa for a Wall & floor Tiler, currently in Perth on a tourist visa myself husband and 2 teenage kids, have been let down by timewasters but refuse to give up, does anybody know of anyone who might be able to help, or any info that might help me and my desperate family to stay here and not have to return to the UK???
Good luck to you Daisymoo. We too spent a lot of time and money getting here on a permanent visa but I say get here any way you can, we all have different sets of circumstances and we all do what we need to do.

Ignore some of the unconstructive posts on here, that's not what you need but you have to take the good with the bad. I hope you make it but if you have to go home at least you know you will have explored every avenue.

Last edited by Gert Muller; Oct 10th 2010 at 10:25 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:38 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen this so many times before... people coming out on tourist visas and applying for a 457. I have very rarely seen it work either, but in the two cases I know that did personally, the skills were very high demand skills, not trades like a tiler. Tiler tradies are everywhere and there's no reason to sponsor one, esp not in Perth where they're coming out of the woodwork literally everywhere due to the housing boom over there.

I think you knew what a huge risk you were taking when you first did this Daisy, and good on you for taking that risk, but I honestly would prepare yourselves for a swift return to the UK. It was a gamble that doesn't seem to have paid off for you.
If you have other skills (you don't say what they are) that might be in higher demand then that might be worth trying, but they'd have to be very good imo to even get looked at... but nothing to stop you trying.

How long have you got before your tourist visa runs out?

And do be careful.. immigration do read this board.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
And do be careful.. immigration do read this board.
Just what I was going to point out!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you were desperate to move here why didn't you do it via the proper channels and apply for the correct visa? A tourist visa is for tourists, not to stay. And even if you get sponsored, you won't be here permanently as a 457 is a temporary visa.

Not sure what you mean by time wasters either. If you apply for a job you need to have the correct visa to be able to accept the job.

You are best to go home, do the skills assessment and apply for the correct visa so you can come here permanently. And yes, I realise this sounds like a rant, but we spent a lot of time and money doing things the right way and it pisses me off to no extent when people try to slip in through the back door. Take a read of the immigration section for what I mean.
well said
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

If somebody says that they sound like they are ranting then i dont consider it advice, The person i refer to is a government official whose job it is to recruit people like ourselves for regional areas which is why we are now sitting in WA, we would never seek the services of a migration agent as we ourselves can do everything that they will do for us minus the costs, we have friends that used agents and did not need to, we have done nothing wrong just taken advice from somebody who is employed by the government, this is not somebody who sits behind a desk at the immigration offices in perth city where you take a ticket. If we thought that this was wrong we would never have done it in the first place. Also we are over the age of skills assessments but we do have the skills needed so we will carry on regardless,
go home as I expect eventualy they would deport you anyway just on the grounds of your attitude.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by saxtonj
I say good on ya, try any avenue possible, because doing it the right way will only put you in a massive queue and a massive wiating time, and there are plenty of immigrants from other countries flouting the rules so why shouldn't someone from Blighty.

Good on you Daisymoo and I hope you get your 457 in time.

Unfortunately i'm not in that area otherwise I maybe would have been able to suggest some companies.

All the best.
Great attitude.....it is people like you with comments like those that make it so much harder for everyone else to do it properly.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It is not up to Australian government officials to be giving immigration advice. They quite often get it wrong as it is not their job. If you want to know how to apply for a visa you should be speaking to a MARA registered migration agent who will be up to date with the laws surrounding immigration. The people you speak to at DIAC, either over the counter or on the phone are not.

As Bermudashorts says, if you don't want opinions you should perhaps not post your questions on an open internet forum. She was also correct that I am not adverse to others having the same opportunities we had. What I am opposed to is people who do not follow the legal way of doing things. Tourist visas are for tourists, not for families to move permanently to Australia on.

Almost forgot to ask, what did this friendly Australian Immigration official advise you to say on your landing card as your purpose of your trip? Did he or she advise you to tell the truth that you were migrating or lie and say you're here as tourists?
Dorothy,
I was advised by a MARA agent today to do exactly what daisee moo is doing.
I am hoping to move to Perth as a Mechanic of 19 years.
I came out of my trade 3 years ago which makes me ineligble to apply for skilled migraition and require a sponsor.

My agent says the best way I can get a sponsor is travel over on a tourist visa, Not to work but to find a company who would like to sponsor me.

Once I find a company that is prepared to sponsor me they will write to my agent who will then apply for a 457 visa.

Untill I get the go ahead and my 457 I am not able to do any work in Australia.

This is not a " getting in through the back door" system and will still take a lot of time and paper work and around £4000.

But it is the best way for people who require a sponsor to get there dream move to oz.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by offski
Dorothy,
I was advised by a MARA agent today to do exactly what daisee moo is doing.
I am hoping to move to Perth as a Mechanic of 19 years.
I came out of my trade 3 years ago which makes me ineligble to apply for skilled migraition and require a sponsor.

My agent says the best way I can get a sponsor is travel over on a tourist visa, Not to work but to find a company who would like to sponsor me.

Once I find a company that is prepared to sponsor me they will write to my agent who will then apply for a 457 visa.

Untill I get the go ahead and my 457 I am not able to do any work in Australia.

This is not a " getting in through the back door" system and will still take a lot of time and paper work and around £4000.

But it is the best way for people who require a sponsor to get there dream move to oz.
Did your MARA agent also tell you that you would need to lie about your real intentions at immigration desk?

Did they also tell you that if you can drag a couple of teenagers along whilst you chase the dream all the better.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Did your MARA agent also tell you that you would need to lie about your real intentions at immigration desk?

Did they also tell you that if you can drag a couple of teenagers along whilst you chase the dream all the better.
Bermuda I dont know if you are being helpfull or not by that remark.

I have come on this site for some help in my bid to get to Australia just like you have and not to argue with people.

Is it ilegal what my MARA agent has told me Because I dont want to do anything that is ilegal. I just want to go through the correct channels like most good people who have settled in Australia.
Can I legally go to Australia on holiday and look for opportunaties.

And no he didnt tell me to drag any teenagers along.
It will just be me and my wife.

Please help me with this someone!!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:14 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

It seem unbelieveable that a "government official" or a "Mara registered agent" would advise anyone to arrive on a tourist visa with the intention of looking for work.

One only has to watch Channel 7's Border Security program to know that this approach will result in entry to Australia being denied, possibly for years.

BB
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermuda I dont know if you are being helpfull or not by that remark.

I have come on this site for some help in my bid to get to Australia just like you have and not to argue with people.

Is it ilegal what my MARA agent has told me Because I dont want to do anything that is ilegal. I just want to go through the correct channels like most good people who have settled in Australia.
Can I legally go to Australia on holiday and look for opportunaties.

And no he didnt tell me to drag any teenagers along.
It will just be me and my wife.

Please help me with this someone!!
Offski, you certainly would have to conceal your true motives at immigration desk. If you announce you are there to look for work and sponsorship you could well be going straight home. You would need to avoid carrying CVs, reference letters etc as they do search some luggage. As has been said on the thread, tourist visas are for tourists.

My teenager related comment was because you seemed to be saying there was nothing unusual about daisymoo taking this approach and I wondered did you also think it was a good idea to drag teenagers into what could be a very long, stressful and in all probability futile venture.

May I also suggest you look into employer sponsorship a bit more, being out of your trade for a few years could make that more difficult as well as skilled migration. Also do you need licencing in your trade? Having to organise that before you start work might put employers off.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It seem unbelieveable that a "government official" or a "Mara registered agent" would advise anyone to arrive on a tourist visa with the intention of looking for work.

One only has to watch Channel 7's Border Security program to know that this approach will result in entry to Australia being denied, possibly for years.

BB
So does it mean that what he has told me is illegal then.

I know I cant travel to Aus and work on a tourist visa but does that stop me from visiting companies to see if they were interested in sponsoring me when or if i aquire a 457.

Please people I really need some good advice on this as I dont want to do anything ilegal or against emigration law that would stop me from getting into Aus.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So does it mean that what he has told me is illegal then.

I know I cant travel to Aus and work on a tourist visa but does that stop me from visiting companies to see if they were interested in sponsoring me when or if i aquire a 457.

Please people I really need some good advice on this as I dont want to do anything ilegal or against emigration law that would stop me from getting into Aus.
Have you read the rest of the thread? I thought we had answered this...

I guess if you arrived here on holiday and happened to bump into someone and discussed a job opportunity it is not illegal. But, as has been stated several times already, you cannot legitimately arrive in Australia on a tourist visa with the intention of looking for work. Truly, I am amazed that an agent has told you this is ok, if that got back to MARA I would imagine they would be in trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.