Reload this Page >

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Originally Posted by lunny
Oh so now you decide you were gonna post a considered response. So why did you respond then, I don't recall specifically asking for your opinion, it was a general question.

If your life is so dull that you feel the need to come on here and post obnoxious comments(see above) u should really consider drowning yourself in a 'vat of cornish cream'.
What was the point of all this?. You had already made your decision. Did you really need the words of total strangers to tell what a 'good idea' it all was?

Well you eventually got the answers you wanted to see. All you wanted was for people to tell you what a clever little girl you are and that how moving to Melbourne was a really great idea. People coming on an saying Cornwall punctured your balloon... but you stuck it out and kept going until the 'right' answers started coming out.

Shows persistence if nothing else.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 27th 2010 at 8:20 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
What was the point of all this?. You had already made your decision. Did you really need the words of total strangers to tell what a 'good idea' it all was?

Well you eventually got the answers you wanted to see. All you wanted was for people to tell you what a cleaver little girl you are and that how moving to Melbourne was a really great idea. People coming on an saying Cornwall punctured your balloon... but you stuck it out and kept going until the 'right' answers started coming out.

Yep, whatever you say. Oh, btw, it's CLEVER, and I don't need other people to tell me

I'd be glad if you could direct your fabulous advice elsewhere from now on.

Many thanks
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Yep, whatever you say. Oh, btw, it's CLEVER, and I don't need other people to tell me

I'd be glad if you could direct your fabulous advice elsewhere from now on.

Many thanks
I think I can manage that. Good luck in Melbourne.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

Back to the topic,
I grew up in cornwall,moved to london when i was in my 20's,best move i made until our move out to Queensland.
cornwall is so dull in the winter months.weekends spent in the pub.very little in the form of entertainment.my home town was swamped with smack heads.
get over to oz.cornwall is dead its a forgotten part of the UK,very little industry apart from seasonal tourism or mundane government jobs.
Do the WHV if it doesnt work out go down to cornwall in the winter when its grey,wet,coldish and the tourists have gone home.Only locals and smack heads left because thats what you will get in cornwall for 7 months of the year.
Also the house prices are very high due to many holiday homes in the area.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well you eventually got the answers you wanted to see. All you wanted was for people to tell you what a clever little girl you are and that how moving to Melbourne was a really great idea. People coming on an saying Cornwall punctured your balloon... but you stuck it out and kept going until the 'right' answers started coming out.

The way I see it - lots of people said Cornwall - many people who did not live there, and lots of people just pointed out some particular issues.

I still reckon a move further E might work!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to all posters who have shared first hand experience of Cornwall. I was selected for interview for a job I'd applied for in Cornwall and withdrew.

It's decided, we're off to Melbourne, unfortunatley not until January which is ONLY 10 months away, I have no patience, but OH has said we need to save properly and try cover bills as best we can so that we don't get home to absolute financial mayhem, that would put a dampner on the whole thing. I know he's right. But grrrrrrrr 10 months

Now, how to pass the time until January?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:25 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Now, how to pass the time until January?
What about a weekend in Padstow?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
What about a weekend in Padstow?
Has it not yet been renamed Padstein?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:40 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by salopian
Hi Lunny,

When I said winter's were boring I just mean't there's no variation in the weather. No beautiful frosty mornings, no hedgerows sparkling with spider webs (god, I miss that), no crunch of ice underfoot..... it just gets a bit duller. The coldest it gets is about 1 or 2 degrees, and that only happens rarely. It's usually about 10 or 11 and flowers still grow in the gardens. Of course without a real winter you don't get that beautiful rebirth of Spring. Not overly important I know, just things I miss I guess.

Anyway, with jobs, if you're willing to try anything you could try working in disabilities. The Department of Human Services (Vic) runs lots of houses throughout Melbourne and they're always looking for workers. You'd start as a casual (basically work your own hours) and then maybe get a line in a house. I know lots of people who do it (earn pretty good money too.) There are private organisations that do it too but I don't think they pay as much. Might be worth checking out if you're stuck.
Hi Lunny, don't discount Canberra, we have four seasons and it is a lovely city with very good schools. I miss England so much but Spring and Autumn in Canberra helps to ease the pain. It's just a thought, you can do your research online. You will find the city is close to Sydney (3 hours) the same to the beach and the snowfields. Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Hi Lunny, don't discount Canberra, we have four seasons and it is a lovely city with very good schools. I miss England so much but Spring and Autumn in Canberra helps to ease the pain. It's just a thought, you can do your research online. You will find the city is close to Sydney (3 hours) the same to the beach and the snowfields. Good luck
Thanks for that Mrs.Sully - I'll check it out, haven't looked into Canberra at all. Is it as expensive as Melbourne? I think 3 hrs from the beach might be a little far for us, as we don't plan on buying a car, thank you though!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for that Mrs.Sully - I'll check it out, haven't looked into Canberra at all. Is it as expensive as Melbourne? I think 3 hrs from the beach might be a little far for us, as we don't plan on buying a car, thank you though!
Not that you want my advice...

Trying to manage in an Australian city without a car will be almost impossible. Melbourne is one Hell of a big place. It's a long walk to anywhere.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 29th 2010 at 9:01 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to manage in an Australian city without a car will be almost impossible. Melbourne is one Hell of a big place. It's a long walk to anywhere.
I don’t know if I’d completely agree with that, I’m 25 and still don’t have a licence simply because I have never needed to get one until now.

I’ve always lived in the CBD so could walk anywhere, in Sydney I had everything in walking distance and if I needed to go further out of the city I got the train or bus no problem, in Melbourne I was the same. But even when I first moved to Sydney I was a bit out (Rhodes) and just used public transport no problem.

Only now after a year in Canberra I’m getting my licence, simply because I’m 25 and think I should probably have one by now. lol But I walk everywhere here too, and again live in the CBD.

So I’ve survived without one and I know plenty more. It is possible.

To the OP on Canberra – Yes it’s as expensive as Sydney or Melbourne here in Canberra (we have the highest incomes in Australia, which means higher prices). Rent is also the same.

I’m also not sure what a backpacker would do here, it’s mostly government jobs and uni students. Great city and great place to live, but I probably wouldn’t recommend it to a backpacker... I think there is only 1 hostel in town and not many backpacker type jobs? I could be wrong though?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

I lived in Melbourne for 2 years without a licence and did just fine. It is a big city...with great public transport, no need to walk anywhere. Not having a car is not an issue in Melbourne IMO. Unless you have kids.

Lunny: Have you thought about Brisbane? All cities are expensive over here, Australia is becoming expensive to live in. But if I was young free and had no kids i'd go to Brisbane. Great weather, lovely city, not too big, only 1million pop or so. Yep that's where i'd go!

Also are you sure you can teach over here? My cousin and her friend are both qualified primary school teachers and couldn't teach here as their qualificatons did not transfer. They waitressed instead. But i'm sure you've checked all that stuff out.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I don’t know if I’d completely agree with that, I’m 25 and still don’t have a licence simply because I have never needed to get one until now.

I’ve always lived in the CBD so could walk anywhere, in Sydney I had everything in walking distance and if I needed to go further out of the city I got the train or bus no problem, in Melbourne I was the same. But even when I first moved to Sydney I was a bit out (Rhodes) and just used public transport no problem.

Only now after a year in Canberra I’m getting my licence, simply because I’m 25 and think I should probably have one by now. lol But I walk everywhere here too, and again live in the CBD.

So I’ve survived without one and I know plenty more. It is possible.

To the OP on Canberra – Yes it’s as expensive as Sydney or Melbourne here in Canberra (we have the highest incomes in Australia, which means higher prices). Rent is also the same.

I’m also not sure what a backpacker would do here, it’s mostly government jobs and uni students. Great city and great place to live, but I probably wouldn’t recommend it to a backpacker... I think there is only 1 hostel in town and not many backpacker type jobs? I could be wrong though?
If you have never driven then you do manage as its all you know. You base decisions on where to live based on the fact that you need public transport to get anywhere, or it has to be within walking distance.... but once you do have transport readily available to you then going back to doing without is a tough call. Where I live now it would simply be impossible to live in the same way without a car. Public transport is almost non-existent outside of rush hour and not that great at the rest of the day... but it didn't matter as transport was all covered by using the car.

If we didn't drive we wouldn't be living where we are now.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by West Vic
I lived in Melbourne for 2 years without a licence and did just fine. It is a big city...with great public transport, no need to walk anywhere. Not having a car is not an issue in Melbourne IMO. Unless you have kids.

Lunny: Have you thought about Brisbane? All cities are expensive over here, Australia is becoming expensive to live in. But if I was young free and had no kids i'd go to Brisbane. Great weather, lovely city, not too big, only 1million pop or so. Yep that's where i'd go!

Also are you sure you can teach over here? My cousin and her friend are both qualified primary school teachers and couldn't teach here as their qualificatons did not transfer. They waitressed instead. But i'm sure you've checked all that stuff out.
Hi WestVic,

No I haven't even looked at Brisbane -till now, just had a quick glance, mmm interesting! Have to do some research. I'm pretty certain I can teach there, as I completed a 4 yr degree and a PGCE, I've checked with a few agencies and they said I'd have no problem, I think it's when the degree is 3 yrs you run into problems(I think-not sure)but as I already said-I will do other work no problem!

Anyway have to go and teach a year 8 lesson - oh the joys!

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.