Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough
Post Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Hi folks,

I know the title to these kind of threads is usually 'Sydney or Melbourne, Perth or Melbourne etc. But I'm looking for opinions of the wise here......

I'm Irish, doing my first teaching year in the Midlands, UK. Currently in a secondary school, but am planning to switch to primary teaching at the end of the academic year. I have decided and reconsidered and decided and reconsidered moving to Oz around 1000 times....

My main reasons for wanting to move are lifestyle & weather. OH is just completing a HDip in Sports Mgmt, currently working 2 pt jobs, my job has long hours - as far as teaching jobs go (8-5.30) not including what gets brought home. When I'm coming in the door, he's leaving for his evening job, and he works weekends!So basically, while we are ok financially, quality of life is s*it at the moment.

We do not have kids/mortgage(serious stuff), I do however, have student loans to be repaid at home-€400 max. per month. I have been in contact with agencies in Mel, and they seemed fairly confident they could get me supply in primary if/when I go - ideally September, as I have read that term is best for relief work. I would be going over with limited funds, so would be on the job-hunt from day 1. If I cannot secure relief teaching, I will do any other job, no problem at all-I've got lots of bar/restaurant & retail work experience, and am a grafter.

So, my question is this...Do we take a leap of faith, so to speak, or would I be better of taking the 'safer' option and head to Cornwall? I've been looking at jobs there and doing my research, and while I have no doubt that quality of life could be improved there, and the Summer will be nice. It aint exactly Oz, is it?!

Also, any ideas how my OH would be fixed-work wise? His main area is football, but like me is not too fussy,if it pay's he'll do it. He was looking into fruit picking! Oh yeah, we will be on a WHV.

Sorry for the essay, any comment - however blunt/realistic will be appreciated
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:46 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Originally Posted by lunny
Hi folks,

I know the title to these kind of threads is usually 'Sydney or Melbourne, Perth or Melbourne etc. But I'm looking for opinions of the wise here......

I'm Irish, doing my first teaching year in the Midlands, UK. Currently in a secondary school, but am planning to switch to primary teaching at the end of the academic year. I have decided and reconsidered and decided and reconsidered moving to Oz around 1000 times....

My main reasons for wanting to move are lifestyle & weather. OH is just completing a HDip in Sports Mgmt, currently working 2 pt jobs, my job has long hours - as far as teaching jobs go (8-5.30) not including what gets brought home. When I'm coming in the door, he's leaving for his evening job, and he works weekends!So basically, while we are ok financially, quality of life is s*it at the moment.

We do not have kids/mortgage(serious stuff), I do however, have student loans to be repaid at home-€400 max. per month. I have been in contact with agencies in Mel, and they seemed fairly confident they could get me supply in primary if/when I go - ideally September, as I have read that term is best for relief work. I would be going over with limited funds, so would be on the job-hunt from day 1. If I cannot secure relief teaching, I will do any other job, no problem at all-I've got lots of bar/restaurant & retail work experience, and am a grafter.

So, my question is this...Do we take a leap of faith, so to speak, or would I be better of taking the 'safer' option and head to Cornwall? I've been looking at jobs there and doing my research, and while I have no doubt that quality of life could be improved there, and the Summer will be nice. It aint exactly Oz, is it?!

Also, any ideas how my OH would be fixed-work wise? His main area is football, but like me is not too fussy,if it pay's he'll do it. He was looking into fruit picking! Oh yeah, we will be on a WHV.

Sorry for the essay, any comment - however blunt/realistic will be appreciated
Moving to Cornwall would be alot easier then moving to the other side of the world, Melbourne is a very large city , if your looking for a more laid back lifestyle then perhpas Cornwall would be better.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Moving to Cornwall would be alot easier then moving to the other side of the world, Melbourne is a very large city , if your looking for a more laid back lifestyle then perhpas Cornwall would be better.
and a lot less costly....
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Cornwall
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:27 am
Just Joined

jmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant future

don't go to melbourne for the weather, its very unpredictable
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Jobs in Cornwall can be tough to come by and housing can be expensive. We Have relatives down there in St Ives and their daughter left for Oz as job prospects were poor. That was 6 years ago.

Last edited by 77hil; Mar 21st 2010 at 12:37 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

Well i'm Irish too and i've lived in Plymouth so have experience of that part of England and Cornwall (the cornish are particular about that lol!).

Well, you are young, educated and have no children and no ties as such. I say come to Oz and give it a go. But my friends husband is a secondary school teacher and his hours seem to be like yours, so I wouldn't expect them to be shorter.

But teachers are in demand here and the aussies are sports nuts so i'd imagine your OH will land a job too.

As someone said don't go to Mel for the weather lol! It's blinking cold in winter and too changable. Great city though. And coming from Uk/Ireland you will find the summers warm in Melbourne.

I say come over on your WHV, have the craic, live a little before you get bogged down by kids and life (oh jesus someone hand me a glass of wine now!). You will know from your year here whether you want to stay or not and Cornwall will always be there too.

PS Loved Devon and Cornwall and would live there myself! But OH is Aussie and so we live here.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
Jobs in Cornwall can be tough to come by and housing can be expensive. We Have relatives down there in St Ives and their daughter left for Oz as job prospects were poor. That was 6 years ago.
I recall a poster being quite negative about the West Country.

The point I will make is that living on the outskirts of Melbourne can give you a sort of rural, West Country life, but within range of well paid jobs and city life too.

But I reckon Cornwall might do it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

We chose between Cardiff and Brisbane when we came!! lol Obviously nothing alike!!

Anyway just wanted to say that my eldest daughter is at uni doing primary education and she's just been told that out of all the students that finished last year only 9% actually got permanent jobs! They have been told to prepare to go rural if you want work!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:37 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The point I will make is that living on the outskirts of Melbourne can give you a sort of rural, West Country life, but within range of well paid jobs and city life too.

But I reckon Cornwall might do it.

I would agree with that. From what I've seen of Melbourne, admittedly that's not much, I like the look of the place.... but I said Cornwall and I'm sticking with that. I think my days of living in a big city are probably over with.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmcbroom
don't go to melbourne for the weather, its very unpredictable
Just for those who don't know.

Absolutely not. They predict it well.

It changes from winter to summer.

And a cool, welcome, change often replaces a stinking hot day.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

My wife and I both come from Cornwall but lived in Plymouth for a number of years before moving to Perth so know the region well and both sets of parents still live in Cornwall. My memories of growing up in Cornwall was wonderful summers spent on the beach, going for walks to collect blackberries and sloes for home made wine, etc. Unfortunately the reality of living in that part of the world was that the recent summers have been pretty poor, the cost of housing is very expensive and the type of jobs I was looking for were none existent.
While you have the opportunity I would say, come to Oz but not necessarily Melbourne and look to get citizenship. You then have the option to try other places but will always have the opportunity to live in Oz.
Can't comment on Melbourne as have only ever travelled around WA and Sydney.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Cornwall, every day of the week.

Gorgeous green countryside, lovely beaches, closer to home. If I had the option it'd be a no-brainer.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

Cornwall any day of the week.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Sorry, but I've lived in Melbourne for 18 years and have to agree with the above Cornwall every time. Oh, and don't get fooled by the weather. The summer's in Oz are not nice. Lying on a beach might be ok in 35plus degrees but going to work, doing the shopping and trying to live a normal life isn't. It's bloody awful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.