Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Hi Lunny

If you've already decided to come to Oz then good for you. I've lived in Melbourne for 18 years, and although I'm hoping to return to the UK this year, I would say it's as good as place as any in Oz to settle. Just don't expect Oz to be paradise though (as I'm sure you don't) life has it's ups and downs wherever you park yourself.

I don't find the weather here too changeable (we've just had 107 days straight of temps over 20c) which is appealing to some. I do find the summers too hot and the winters, well boring really, (I do miss those beautiful frosty mornings) and there isn't really much of a Spring or Autumn. House prices in Melbourne are outrageous at the moment, so if you're looking to buy you could find yourself out on the fringes (and Melbourne is huge, one of the biggest urban sprawls in the world - outer Melbourne is not that well serviced by public transport either.) The rental market is also extremely tight at the moment - not enough properties and too many people looking to rent -we live about 8 miles from the CBD and we've just had our place valued rent wise at about $400 a week (about 200 quid.) The isolation of Oz I also find a bit depressing, one of the reasons for moving back to the UK is for the closeness of Europe. Cost of living wise, well it's probably a little bit more expensive than the UK, although petrol and public transport are a lot cheaper.

On the positive side, the people tend to be open and friendly, there are great restaurants and cafes (I find the pubs a bit, shall I say, tatty) plenty of open space, great bike trails, and if you like sport you'll be in seventh heaven.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do, just don't put all your eggs in one basket, leave yourself an escape route, because as you've probably gathered from this thread, there are lots of us who are living in the wrong place.

As Barry Humphries said "Living in Australia permanently is like going to an all night party.................. then dancing with your mother all night."
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Hi Salopian,

Good to hear more realistic comments about the weather there, when you say winter is boring, what do you mean? Is it because of the weather? Sounds like you've a decent run of sun there....sounds good to me

I've been checking out accommodation - I would definitely be renting as we are only going out on a whv to test the waters, using the Gumtree site, and theres a fair selection of small 1 br/ shares for $200-250 p/week for us both, which is near enough to what we pay here....less the bloody council tax, we don't have that in Ireland - so it's the bain of my life over here

My main worry is that I get out there, can't find any sort of a job, (if I can't get teaching/relief) and have to come home. That would be my worst nightmare. Surely if I'm willing to do any type of work, I'll manage to pick something up?? Have lots of bar/restaurant exp. and there seems to be lots of cafes in Mel, and plenty advertising jobs on Gumtree too.....

Please don't anyone tell me that the cafe jobs are like the teaching jobs-they advertise but they're already filled! lol
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunny

My main worry is that I get out there, can't find any sort of a job, (if I can't get teaching/relief) and have to come home. That would be my worst nightmare. Surely if I'm willing to do any type of work, I'll manage to pick something up?? Have lots of bar/restaurant exp. and there seems to be lots of cafes in Mel, and plenty advertising jobs on Gumtree too.....
While you might not get a teaching/relief job (don’t know what the situation is like in Melbourne.

It’s safe to say you will get A job, especially seeing as you would be willing to do other work.

Remember, thousands of people come out on the WHV every year - they all get work, and I’m yet to meet one who couldn’t find some kind of work. Even if it’s just something really basic, awkward hours or lower pay, just to get you started, you will get something. If that does happen, it will get you started and then let you look for something you’d prefer.

Just remember, thousands of WHV holders do it and they all get some kind of job – if they didn’t, they wouldn’t keep giving out the WHV.

Here are some links with companies that do the WHV package thing, some arrange a job for you, or at least get you in touch with recruitment agencies – they sell other packs too, with bank accounts, sim cards and tax numbers, but really don’t spend big on any pack like that as they are all simple basic things you can get as soon as you land, I’d only look at these sites for the job/recruitment info.

http://www.visafirst.com/

http://www.bunac.org/

http://www.statravel.co.uk/cps/rde/x...y-packages.htm

There are a few more, I just can’t remember them, but again... don’t spend on any of their big packages that offer tax numbers and such (that’s all free when you arrive, bank account is open no problem and a sim card is $2 at woollies).

And you will get a job, you just might not get your preferred one to begin with.

Good Luck.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Hi Canadaeh,

Thanks for that info, it's great! I'll start checking out those sites. Am so glad to hear that about the jobs, I just needed to hear that I had a decent chance of getting something. I think I can really start planning now. I could do with winning the lotto, but I wont hold my breath for that.

Have sent off lots of emails to teaching agencies, and am going to register with the teaching council of whichever state I decide on, so that all that will be set up before I go, should anything arise on that front.

I'm pretty set on Melb, and thought if I work there for my 6 mths, Sep-May/June, then hopefully travel up the east coast from there, should work out that I follow the sun

Cheers
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Hi Lunny,

When I said winter's were boring I just mean't there's no variation in the weather. No beautiful frosty mornings, no hedgerows sparkling with spider webs (god, I miss that), no crunch of ice underfoot..... it just gets a bit duller. The coldest it gets is about 1 or 2 degrees, and that only happens rarely. It's usually about 10 or 11 and flowers still grow in the gardens. Of course without a real winter you don't get that beautiful rebirth of Spring. Not overly important I know, just things I miss I guess.

Anyway, with jobs, if you're willing to try anything you could try working in disabilities. The Department of Human Services (Vic) runs lots of houses throughout Melbourne and they're always looking for workers. You'd start as a casual (basically work your own hours) and then maybe get a line in a house. I know lots of people who do it (earn pretty good money too.) There are private organisations that do it too but I don't think they pay as much. Might be worth checking out if you're stuck.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

Salopian:

As Barry Humphries said "Living in Australia permanently is like going to an all night party.................. then dancing with your mother all night."
LMAO!

Hay Lunny. Don't mind the dickheads on here, honestly some are so uptight and cranky! Anyway, come on over, debt be dammed and if you find yourself in Ballarat pm me and we'll meet up for a drink or two!

(Ballarat nice country town 110 km out of melbourne, am moving there in May sometime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by salopian
Hi Lunny,

When I said winter's were boring I just mean't there's no variation in the weather. No beautiful frosty mornings, no hedgerows sparkling with spider webs (god, I miss that), no crunch of ice underfoot..... it just gets a bit duller. The coldest it gets is about 1 or 2 degrees, and that only happens rarely. It's usually about 10 or 11 and flowers still grow in the gardens. Of course without a real winter you don't get that beautiful rebirth of Spring. Not overly important I know, just things I miss I guess.

Anyway, with jobs, if you're willing to try anything you could try working in disabilities. The Department of Human Services (Vic) runs lots of houses throughout Melbourne and they're always looking for workers. You'd start as a casual (basically work your own hours) and then maybe get a line in a house. I know lots of people who do it (earn pretty good money too.) There are private organisations that do it too but I don't think they pay as much. Might be worth checking out if you're stuck.
Heya,

I know what your saying about the crisp sunny morning etc, but I can honestly tell you they are few and far between here in the Midlands! Thanks for the info about the job option, that sounds good. I'll certainly look into it
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by West Vic
Salopian:

LMAO!

Hay Lunny. Don't mind the dickheads on here, honestly some are so uptight and cranky! Anyway, come on over, debt be dammed and if you find yourself in Ballarat pm me and we'll meet up for a drink or two!

(Ballarat nice country town 110 km out of melbourne, am moving there in May sometime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
100% agree there West Vic! Yep, mind is made up. It's looking like we'll be waiting till January to give us some time to save. Don't want to go out, be broke and end up hating it......

Trying to be a little bit sensible, we'll see how that goes for me
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Heid_The_Baw is an unknown quantity at this point

My contribution to this migration debate, having lived here for 36 of my 56 years, is:
The younger you are, the easier it is.
The older you are, the more difficult it becomes.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, would entice me to return to the UK permanently.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Heid_The_Baw
My contribution to this migration debate, having lived here for 36 of my 56 years, is:
The younger you are, the easier it is.
The older you are, the more difficult it becomes.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, would entice me to return to the UK permanently.
I like your thinking Heid!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 12:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I like your thinking Heid!
Take a look at the Moving Back to the UK part of the board for a reality check. Few of the people in there thought they would be returning to the UK when they made the 'big move'. Anything up to one in three, depending on which figures you look at, return to the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Take a look at the Moving Back to the UK part of the board for a reality check. Few of the people in there thought they would be returning to the UK when they made the 'big move'. Anything up to one in three, depending on which figures you look at, return to the UK.
And your point is what exactly? That people move back? Really - I never would have guessed, The last poster -Heid-said that he/she would never consider moving back, that's their perogative, I never mentioned anything apart from a 1 yr WHV, so I know I'll only be there for a year to start with.

You mention a reality check, what's that about?
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

And your point is what exactly? That people move back? Really - I never would have guessed, The last poster -Heid-said that he/she would never consider moving back, that's their perogative, I never mentioned anything apart from a 1 yr WHV, so I know I'll only be there for a year to start with.

Calm down, calm down. You're off to Melly, love or hate it you have to be there to decide for yourself.
Once you have been there and worn the t-shirt, that's when you can do a reality check!..hope it all works out for you. My mate lives there and loves it
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I had typed a nice, considered, response for you.... but then thought "**** it, do what you want".

I don't really care if you live, die, move to Melbourne or die in a vat of Cornish cream. I should know better by now to even bother responding in these pointless threads.

100+ posts and 2500+ viewings to decide where you should go on holiday. !!

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 27th 2010 at 11:30 am.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I had typed a nice, considered, response for you.... but then thought "**** it, do what you want".

I don't really care if you live, die, move to Melbourne or die in a vat of Cornish cream. I should know better by now to even bother responding in these pointless threads.

100+ posts and 2500+ viewings to decide where you should go on holiday. !!
Oh so now you decide you were gonna post a considered response. So why did you respond then, I don't recall specifically asking for your opinion, it was a general question.

If your life is so dull that you feel the need to come on here and post obnoxious comments(see above) u should really consider drowning yourself in a 'vat of cornish cream'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.