Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:44 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Originally Posted by Sarah Jayne
I believe I said I've just spent a long winter in Devon - which is dull due to a lack of culture not due to weather.

The summers down here are great because of the coastline, the winters are not -- dinner parties discussing the relative merits of Cameron vs Brown and house prices, pubs serving similar fayre and gymkhanas are not exactly exciting. Exeter has more going on compared to the rest of the county, but even there everyone heads to London if they want to experience a good music and arts scene.
Fair enough. Point taken.

Although, I would say your comment about "...dinner parties discussing the relative merits of Cameron vs Brown and house prices, pubs serving similar fayre and gymkhanas are not exactly exciting." seems more to do with your social life than Devon's cultural failings.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is currently doing a degree in sports managemet in melbourne, and her first lecture was about how difficult it is to get a job in that field, they also lectured to them that when they have sort of work placement or whatever its called at uni, to suck right up as this is where they will get the best opportunity for a job.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:33 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Give me a sentence that has "and and and and and" in it and still makes perfect sense.

As the publican said to the sign writer. "I was expecting more space between George and And and And and Dragon".
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Lol, oh, I'm sorry.....the South West - V - Melbourne for culture!!!!
You've not spent a long period of time in Australia have you?
Hi Tracey! I laughed when someone said there was not much culture in Cornwall, but to laugh at Melbourne and then talk about Australia is a bit mean, I thought.

Of course, if you are talking about certain city culture, then Melbourne will hold it's own - in certain parts.

It's no secret why we like Melbourne - best of both worlds without some of these apparent Cornwall issues - the rest of your SW not withstanding....I suggested further up -Devon or Dorset!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:34 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
As the publican said to the sign writer. "I was expecting more space between George and And and And and Dragon".
Bingo.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi I'm a bit late to this post and I must admit I haven't read all the posts BUT I lived in Plymouth for 20 years and have now lived in Cornwall for about the same. I loved Cornwall and Devon years ago but as it has got more popular with holiday makers the attraction has gone who wants to be stuck in traffic on a bank Holiday weekend.

As to Work I have worked in the educational market for about 10 years and yes you will get a job there are always jobs for teachers but you will also pay for housing due to all the holiday homes etc.

My advice if you have no ties is give them both a try, if you are going to Oz why does Melbourne have to be the "Be all and End All"

We went to Oz last year it didn't work out and we came back to Cornwall, however I realise now I have had enough of Cornwall and I actually really like Australia.

It is your choice at the end but being a teacher you should not have no problems finding work. Good luck
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Fair enough. Point taken.

Although, I would say your comment about "...dinner parties discussing the relative merits of Cameron vs Brown and house prices, pubs serving similar fayre and gymkhanas are not exactly exciting." seems more to do with your social life than Devon's cultural failings.
hey Lord -- handbags at four paces? Wheel your neck in
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:32 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunny
Hey RedT & other nice posters,

Thanks for the positive comment, I know there are gonna be some downsides to moving to Oz, but I have realised from posting a couple of Q's on here, there are so many posters waiting to jump down your neck about one thing or another.ie:Why the hell does everyone think Oz is such a good location, who says the weather is good, what makes you think you'll get a job....I'm all for realistic comments, but I was asking a genuine question. It's not like I said 'Hey guys, heard Oz are giving out free money, I'm jumping on a plane tomorrow'. Or particularly to the poster who told me 'If I'm moving to Oz for a better lifstyle & weather, I was moving for the wrong reasons', still waiting for them to fill me in on what the 'right' reasons are!

I have gotten some excellent opinions, for which I am grateful, maybe the super cynics have too much time on their hands (must be that laid-back Aussie lifestyle.......lol)

Hiya,

Don't take the crap personally, some posters have been here way too long and find it hilarious to hijack a thread with their little back-and-forwards proving how utterly clever they all are Just ignore the crap and seek out the actual information and you'll see it is actually a very useful resource for anyone thinking about moving to Oz!

When are you going to finally decide then?

Tx
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by edie209
Hi I'm a bit late to this post and I must admit I haven't read all the posts BUT I lived in Plymouth for 20 years and have now lived in Cornwall for about the same. I loved Cornwall and Devon years ago but as it has got more popular with holiday makers the attraction has gone who wants to be stuck in traffic on a bank Holiday weekend.

As to Work I have worked in the educational market for about 10 years and yes you will get a job there are always jobs for teachers but you will also pay for housing due to all the holiday homes etc.

My advice if you have no ties is give them both a try, if you are going to Oz why does Melbourne have to be the "Be all and End All"

We went to Oz last year it didn't work out and we came back to Cornwall, however I realise now I have had enough of Cornwall and I actually really like Australia.

It is your choice at the end but being a teacher you should not have no problems finding work. Good luck
Hi edie209,

You must have read my mind re:destination Melbourne. I am currently trawling the net to see where my best chance of supply work will be (besides the outback) lol. I'm also thinking I would like to be based somewhere with decent weather year round-I'm not asking for 365 days of sun, maybe less changeable than Melbourne. So thanks - I am on the case!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RedT
Hiya,

Don't take the crap personally, some posters have been here way too long and find it hilarious to hijack a thread with their little back-and-forwards proving how utterly clever they all are Just ignore the crap and seek out the actual information and you'll see it is actually a very useful resource for anyone thinking about moving to Oz!

Tx
Hi T,

Yep, your definitley right about the highjackers, It's an excellent resource, and I am making good use of it - think I might be addicted actually

As per previous post I'm looking into other parts of Oz right now. I've more or less decided that we're going to go, the next thing to figure out is where,. and most importantly - when! Ideally, September, but I'm not sure thats doable financially.....think I'll do the lotto tonight though .......It could be me?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedT
Hiya,

Tx
Worth pointing out that without the posters who have "been here way too long" the board would be as dead as a dodo and as useful to people seeking help as a chocolate fireguard.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Worth pointing out that without the posters who have "been here way too long" the board would be as dead as a dodo and as useful to people seeking help as a chocolate fireguard.
is it encrusted with hazlenuts with a soft centre? mmm....tasty
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:10 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My country's better than your country ... *blows raspberry* ...

(Sorry to raise the intellectual quality of the arguments in this thread )

Last edited by Hutch; Mar 24th 2010 at 11:13 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

And using the thread to slag off long term posters who take threads off topic is taking the thread off topic as well.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
My country's better than your country ... *blows raspberry* ...

(Sorry to raise the intellectual quality of the arguments in this thread )
Nobody can accuse you of not being consistent in your posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.