Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Originally Posted by Irishlady
Hello,

Just curious... can you buy more with your salary in Australia than you could in the UK thanks?

Irishlady
I'd say yes but only based on the extra that's in the bank account every month at the end. Every person will be different.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

GDP per capita, PPP - from The World Bank:

1. Luxembourg $91388
8. USA $49965
9. Australia $44598
14. Canada $42533
20. UK 36901

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...last&sort=desc
Old Aug 25th 2013, 3:45 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
GDP per capita, PPP - from The World Bank:

1. Luxembourg $91388
8. USA $49965
9. Australia $44598
14. Canada $42533
20. UK 36901

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...last&sort=desc
LoL

UN Human Development Index
1 Norway
2 Australia
3 United States
5 Germany
6 New Zealand
7 Ireland
11 Canada
20 France
23 Spain
25 Italy
26 United Kingdom

OECD Better Life Index
1 Australia
3 Canada
6 United States
10 United Kingdom

These are of course just rankings. How you improve your standard of living depends on you.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 5:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wherever you're happiest, that's where your standard of living is highest. simple.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex87
The salary is better than average in the UK. For example I am a early childhood educator and in Australia I earned $21 per hour as a educator with preschool children. In the UK I earn £9 per hour as a deputy manager in a nursery. So my qualification is worth more here than Australia although in Australia I got paid more for less responsibility in my job. Groceries and clothes are much cheaper here in the UK and fashion is way better. However the lifestyle in Australia wins hands down and being able to afford a beautiful 4 bed property with a private pool as opposed to a 2 bedroom property for the same price in London. So really its about weighing up your priorities in life!
But London prices are only comparable to Sydney or Melbourne taking all a city can offer into account and hence I think you'll find the Melbourne n Sydney prices just as ludicrous, if not more, than London.

Brisbane, Adelaide, Darwin and Perth aren't in the same league as London yet the prices are stupidly high. Depends if ya like the simple life or not for quality of life
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well clearly the standard of living is better here for you, I think just feeling better and enjoying your life more here is enough evidence. But re your given rationale ... you seem to be comparing salaries at current exchange rates rather than the purchasing power of the respective salaries? And unfortunately we cannot all get a 4 bed property with a private pool so easily, try doing that in Sydney in a decent area, well over $1m.
Yes exactly, we can only speak about our own individual circumstances, here we have a bigger, better house onmore land and have more money in our pocket so for us in all respects our standard of living is noticeably higher. As you say you cant use exchange rates as just in recent times it has changed from $1.40 to over $1.70 to the £ but the respective wages would have stayed the same.
No amount of surveys by the UN are going to tell me where I am better off

Last edited by chris955; Aug 25th 2013 at 1:59 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by verystormy
I live in Oz but dont work there and am paid the same salary as i would if i was still in the UK. I find Oz incredibly expensive.
Perth in particular is ridiculously expensive for eating and drinking out. We've just got back from spending a week in Sydney and were paying half for food and drink in restaurants, pubs and cafes.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Alex87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes one can only talk about their personal experiences. I never really went into current exchange rates. The pay is better for my occupation in Austalia-period. As I've mentioned groceries and clothes shopping is much cheaper in the UK where you can buy a decent pair of boots/shoes for £30. Grocery shopping in Australia I found very expensive for one person I was spending up to $80. In the UK I spend £25 max per week! Same with beer and eating out its cheaper here and your wage seems to go further. Although in Australia you essentially earn more than the UK u need that extra to afford to live there. I lived in Sydney and paid $175 per week to share a room in a house and paid bills on top. Granted London is extortionate for property and I pay £80 a week to share a studio with my partner all bills included. I think if you went right down to the ninth gritty you would probably be in the same situation whether you live in Australia or the UK it's how you choose to spend your money.

Now if only I could organise a visa to get back to Oz.... One can dream....:-)
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
But London prices are only comparable to Sydney or Melbourne taking all a city can offer into account and hence I think you'll find the Melbourne n Sydney prices just as ludicrous, if not more, than London.

Brisbane, Adelaide, Darwin and Perth aren't in the same league as London yet the prices are stupidly high. Depends if ya like the simple life or not for quality of life
Perth??? You serious?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You can not compare any Oz city with London. London is regarded internationally as one of the worlds greatest cities. Its like comparing Leicester City football club with Man Utd
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can not compare any Oz city with London. London is regarded internationally as one of the worlds greatest cities. Its like comparing Leicester City football club with Man Utd
Exactly right, Man U are minnoes by comparison
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:34 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Leicester is a fleapit
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Perth in particular is ridiculously expensive for eating and drinking out. We've just got back from spending a week in Sydney and were paying half for food and drink in restaurants, pubs and cafes.
Just because London is a big international city does not mean that you can't attempt to compare Sydney with it.

I think people have to remember that there are only so many 'world' cities!
We can't all bow and scrape to New York, Tokyo, Paris et cetera. I think we tend to put world cities on a pedestal - they are large cities with their own economies, yes.

Sydney is still fairly well known in the world - in the Anglosphere - and to a point in Western Europe too. It is bigger than B'Ham and Manchester.

Look at the list of cities in a published book - Sydney often comes up along with London, Paris etc.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 27th 2013 at 3:29 am.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
UK labour rates are substantially less than in Oz. This is why UK tradies like to move here. Better wages for doing much less work.

For instance I can get an average size car resprayed for 2grand in UK but look at 6grand easy here. And labour is the main cost in that eqaution.
When we migrated:
I was always under the impression tradies moved here because, and I quote, they feel 'more respected' and because when we migrated they loved the idea of car, boat and jetski - yet more toys. Most migrant tradies had already cashed in before they set foot on Australian soil - many tradies have done well in the UK.

But servicing a car can cost in GBP that which costs AUD here.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as most of this not about comparing living standards but the price of a coffee or whatever I'll add a few more useless lists to add to the discussion.

1 Melbourne
2 Vienna
3 Vancouver
4 Toronto
5 Calgary
6 Adelaide
7 Sydney
8 Helsinki
9 Perth
10 Auckland

The above is the world's best 10 cities to live according to the Economist Intelligence Unit.

Which goes to show that according to the EIU, life is apparently more liveable in the new world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...?frame=2311071

The world's top 20 most VISITED cities are:

1 Bangkok
2 London
3 Paris
4 Singapore
5 New York
6 Istanbul
7 Dubai
8 Kuala Lumpur
9 Hong Kong
10 Barcelona
11 Seoul
12 Milan
13 Rome
14 Shanghai
15 Amsterdam
16 Tokyo
17 Vienna
18 Taipei
19 Riyadh
20 Los Angeles

Which just goes to show that the bulk of the world's population lives in the northern hemisphere!

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efik4...he-world-2013/

Last edited by OzTennis; Aug 27th 2013 at 2:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.