Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Originally Posted by Zen10
You mean those giant dog costumes for people are cheaper here than in the UK? Another thing to wave in the faces of the Little Englanders.
A bit more nerdy than that - Radio-controlled planes, helicopters and cars

The general consensus (whinge) on BE is that everything is more expensive in Australia compared to the UK, and it's just not true

Again, there's actual cost at current XR and then there's PPP (when you look at Per Capita GDP with PPP, Australia is ahead of the UK). Both are valid but one is more relevant than the other
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:00 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A bit more nerdy than that - Radio-controlled planes, helicopters and cars

The general consensus (whinge) on BE is that everything is more expensive in Australia compared to the UK, and it's just not true

Again, there's actual cost at current XR and then there's PPP (when you look at Per Capita GDP with PPP, Australia is ahead of the UK). Both are valid but one is more relevant than the other
Ah, I have a radio-controlled helicopter. To be honest I never fly it and now the aerial on the controller seems to have gone walkabout. I must by another one and see if I can keep it in the air for more than 20 seconds.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:23 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

my wood carving tools are exactly one and a half times more expensive than the UK! But I do use quality pfeil chisels.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Oz but dont work there and am paid the same salary as i would if i was still in the UK. I find Oz incredibly expensive.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Basic cost of everyday living slightly more expensive in Oz than UK when you factor in wages. Once you start buying stuff (in my case clothes, holidays) cost in Oz substantially higher. In UK at the moment and will be taking back lots of shoes! Quality shoes I find 3-4 times more in Oz than UK. Holidays not fair to compare as such great distances - but if travelling is your thing it will be a bit of a shock!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Rents are fairly similar for what you get, where it's possible to compare locations. Here I compare a couple of locations I'm familiar with: sleepy little Alnmouth, Northumbria, with my own location which have a bit in common: village, beach, holiday destination in a provincial area not too far from major towns etc.

What you get for about 250 bucks.

Alnmouth

Old Bar Beach NSW

I find that large cities outside London, such as Leeds, Newcastle Upon Tyne and Cardiff for example have similar rentals to regional places here like Wollongong, Newcastle etc. If you make allowances for compareing terraced houses and traditional semis against stand alone houses and duplexes.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

if you don't want to constantly buy "made in China" items, then Australia is definitely dearer on the hip pocket. It's a known fact that airline tickets for going overseas are dearer too.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:00 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I start off thinking that everything is more expensive..... I have a much more active social life here. ( having discovered the delights of an espresso martini!) and we eat out at least twice a week......

The strange thing is that there's always a sizeable chunk of money left at the end of the month after paying bills putting away slush fund money etc.....

So our salaries seem to go quite a bit further!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Standard of living (in your title) or cost of living?

They are not necessarily the same thing
agreed
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

2nd hand definitely but a lot of new cars are cheaper than the UK - the Triton that I bought recently certainly is. As was my VW purchased 3 years ago

Consumer electronics tend to be cheaper here (compared to UK)

My hobby stuff costs less too

What is expensive in Australia is hardware/building/plumbing/electrical/fixings/paint etc. Way more than the UK. Branded clothes too

US is cheaper for everything - UK and Australia

This is all based on actual cost using current exchange rate. PPP is another story
There are things cheaper in both countries, it is highly variable on earning power and basket of goods, both countries have seen rapid price increases.

There is a basket of usual suspects, groceries, clothes, fuxtures and fittings, books.
I would still like to know labour rates for Uk.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quilting fabrics stoop idly over priced here... But they are in the uk too
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
my wood carving tools are exactly one and a half times more expensive than the UK! But I do use quality pfeil chisels.
That's the kind of thing that that I was talking about earlier - way more expensive here. Saying that, I tend to buy tools online from Germany, USA or Japan - always cheaper than UK/Australia
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There are things cheaper in both countries, it is highly variable on earning power and basket of goods, both countries have seen rapid price increases.

There is a basket of usual suspects, groceries, clothes, fuxtures and fittings, books.
I would still like to know labour rates for Uk.
UK labour rates are substantially less than in Oz. This is why UK tradies like to move here. Better wages for doing much less work.

For instance I can get an average size car resprayed for 2grand in UK but look at 6grand easy here. And labour is the main cost in that eqaution.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Alex87 is an unknown quantity at this point

The salary is better than average in the UK. For example I am a early childhood educator and in Australia I earned $21 per hour as a educator with preschool children. In the UK I earn £9 per hour as a deputy manager in a nursery. So my qualification is worth more here than Australia although in Australia I got paid more for less responsibility in my job. Groceries and clothes are much cheaper here in the UK and fashion is way better. However the lifestyle in Australia wins hands down and being able to afford a beautiful 4 bed property with a private pool as opposed to a 2 bedroom property for the same price in London. So really its about weighing up your priorities in life!
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex87
The salary is better than average in the UK. For example I am a early childhood educator and in Australia I earned $21 per hour as a educator with preschool children. In the UK I earn £9 per hour as a deputy manager in a nursery. So my qualification is worth more here than Australia although in Australia I got paid more for less responsibility in my job. Groceries and clothes are much cheaper here in the UK and fashion is way better. However the lifestyle in Australia wins hands down and being able to afford a beautiful 4 bed property with a private pool as opposed to a 2 bedroom property for the same price in London. So really its about weighing up your priorities in life!
Well clearly the standard of living is better here for you, I think just feeling better and enjoying your life more here is enough evidence. But re your given rationale ... you seem to be comparing salaries at current exchange rates rather than the purchasing power of the respective salaries? And unfortunately we cannot all get a 4 bed property with a private pool so easily, try doing that in Sydney in a decent area, well over $1m.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.