Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:09 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

These standard of living things are just so subjective.

I was happy in the UK because I had great family and friends and I got out and about whenever I could to make the most of the beautiful area I lived in.
The downside for me was stressful work and OH working long hours.

Here, I am happy because the skies have been permanently blue since I arrived and my work is less stressful. My husband is working shorter hours and we are spending a lot of time together, as a family, out and about on walks etc.
The downsides are being so far from family and friends and having to rent.

I wouldn't say I'm happier in either place. I'm just experiencing a different way of living thanks to the weather and workload.
Both countries have a lot going for them and which one suits you best depends on your own circumstances.

I would also say, in both countries, choose your area wisely!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I broadly agree with what you are saying, when you leave you realise just how parochial and insular the country is generally. We know quite a number of people who genuinely think that there are lots of things you can only do in Australia, I put it down to the media mostly who like to portray the country as somehow unique in the world. FOR US there just wasnt enough to keep us interested, for others of course going down the beach or having a BBQ will suffice and that is absolutely fine.
I wish I had time for the beach and a BBQ! Wherever you are, there is enough to occupy your time and keep you interested if you look for it.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is why I will be going back to the UK when I retire
It's a long way off but already I have kept my options open - I'm thinking ahead - and will maintain a place in Australia - I also have an apartment in a world city - and no - it's not London!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I wish I had time for the beach and a BBQ! Wherever you are, there is enough to occupy your time and keep you interested if you look for it.
The only time we go to the beach is if we are using a beach house where it's all sort of built in and on your doorstep- I'm not massively one for jumping in the car.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The only time we go to the beach is if we are using a beach house where it's all sort of built in and on your doorstep- I'm not massively one for jumping in the car.
Decent beaches are a bit of drive from Brisbane and we simply don't have time at the moment. BBQ's with mates are few and far between at the moment for the same reason, everyones busy - that time of the year I think.

I love the beach, growing up in Perth went all the time, but my shark phobia seems to have tripled in the last 20 years or so.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
These standard of living things are just so subjective.

I was happy in the UK because I had great family and friends and I got out and about whenever I could to make the most of the beautiful area I lived in.
The downside for me was stressful work and OH working long hours.

Here, I am happy because the skies have been permanently blue since I arrived and my work is less stressful. My husband is working shorter hours and we are spending a lot of time together, as a family, out and about on walks etc.
The downsides are being so far from family and friends and having to rent.

I wouldn't say I'm happier in either place. I'm just experiencing a different way of living thanks to the weather and workload.
Both countries have a lot going for them and which one suits you best depends on your own circumstances.

I would also say, in both countries, choose your area wisely!
Absolutely ..........

In the UK I could whip over to the continent on a Friday night, ski Chamonix for a couple of days and be back for work Monday morning. I can still do the weekend but skiing Perisher ...... boooooo

On the flipside I spent years travelling the Northern Line under the armpit of every person living in South London. It would take 45 minutes, often more with the reliability of the Northern Line. Now, I drive to work in 20 minutes, in the comfort of my own vehicle, and have parking paid for me in the middle of the city.

Can we stop comparing now?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Kind of agree now, some people will find it suits them - probably been here longer term when they had good exchange rates and could afford nice property before the boom.

Whole place is backwards, parochial, the Aussies are not very dynamic people and more and more it's becoming an isolated part of the world that really doesn't matter.

Great place to retire would be my opinion, but even then I'm not sure there is enough to do.
Bit of a backhanded compliment?
The inference is that 'it will do' for retirees.

Cheers big ears!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Bit of a backhanded compliment?
The inference is that 'it will do' for retirees.

Cheers big ears!
I find that the people who find Australia not very dynamic are not very dynamic by the standard I have set and observed in life - and that their definition of dynamic is not quite as dynamic as the life I've had the fortune to have...or they have picked the wrong cities or life choices...or have interests that are themselves not very dynamic.

It's a funny thing - when people say Australia is insular - yet some of the most insular people I have met have been British - you could argue there is less excuse too, for British people.

Show me somone who says things like 'Aussies can't do this or that' and I will show you a plebian Brit better placed in their old local observing their beer belly..
before scurring off to download the latest Corrie...

(Puts the cat amongst the worms!)

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 3rd 2013 at 5:28 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that the people who find Australia not very dynamic are not very dynamic by the standard I have set and observed in life - and that their definition of dynamic is not quite as dynamic as the life I've had the fortune to have...or they have picked the wrong cities or life choices...or have interests that are themselves not very dynamic.

It's a funny thing - when people say Australia is insular - yet some of the most insular people I have met have been British - you could argue there is less excuse too, for British people.

(Puts the cat amongst the worms!)
And the award for the most use of the word dynamic in one sentence goes to..............
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Absolutely ..........

In the UK I could whip over to the continent on a Friday night, ski Chamonix for a couple of days and be back for work Monday morning. I can still do the weekend but skiing Perisher ...... boooooo

On the flipside I spent years travelling the Northern Line under the armpit of every person living in South London. It would take 45 minutes, often more with the reliability of the Northern Line. Now, I drive to work in 20 minutes, in the comfort of my own vehicle, and have parking paid for me in the middle of the city.

Can we stop comparing now?
There is of course truth in all this, some compromise perhaps. I can't ski in Italy or France anymore, but I find there is a very healthy, and technical, too, winter outdoor scene here, offering other opportunities, which in some ways I prefer, also some very, perhaps, niche arts scenes all of which I enjoy.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
And the award for the most use of the word dynamic in one sentence goes to..............
me then, presumably? It was the choice word..
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

There is of course truth in all this, some compromise perhaps. I can't ski in Italy or France anymore, but I find there is a very healthy, and technical, too, winter outdoor scene here, offering other opportunities, which in some ways I prefer, also some very, perhaps, niche arts scenes all of which I enjoy.
Of course ...... I was skiing 2 weeks ago and I was at the beach last weekend. Can you do that in the UK? Not a snowflakes ........... In fact I spend most of the winter in the pub or indoors. Not saying its a bad thing, just a different thing.

But I completely agree with your comment before. Australia can be as dynamic as you want it to be. So can the UK.

I feel sorry for those who come on here and complain about the different between the 2 countries rather than embracing what both have to offer ......... well newsflash ...... different countries different things.

So I have a question. Are most of the complainers on here living in Queensland? Most specifically Brisbane? Just a theory - might be an incorrect one.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:49 am
Account Closed

me then, presumably? It was the choice word..
on the nosey, whatcha spending the prize money on??
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Of course ...... I was skiing 2 weeks ago and I was at the beach last weekend. Can you do that in the UK? Not a snowflakes ........... In fact I spend most of the winter in the pub or indoors. Not saying its a bad thing, just a different thing.

But I completely agree with your comment before. Australia can be as dynamic as you want it to be. So can the UK.

I feel sorry for those who come on here and complain about the different between the 2 countries rather than embracing what both have to offer ......... well newsflash ...... different countries different things.

So I have a question. Are most of the complainers on here living in Queensland? Most specifically Brisbane? Just a theory - might be an incorrect one.
I've discovered in the decade I have been here that after all, it is not just about different countries and opportunities but that I often find what is common between the two. Things seem to transport well.

I've been on the forum long enough though to feel that Brissie cops it.
Having said that, I know there is stuff going on in all State Capitals if you look for it -but I do know people like dancers and singers move to Melbourne and Sydney, but then they leave behind people happy... It may not be as much as in Melbourne or Sydney but I'd hate to target other cities with both barrels before checking..

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
on the nosey, whatcha spending the prize money on??
Humble pie -if I accidentally sound like a **** then I will thrash myself in accordance with the unwritten rules of forum etiquette....or maybe I won't..and just say 'Up yours'!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:21 am
Account Closed

I've discovered in the decade I have been here that after all, it is not just about different countries and opportunities but that I often find what is common between the two. Things seem to transport well.

I've been on the forum long enough though to feel that Brissie cops it.
Having said that, I know there is stuff going on in all State Capitals if you look for it -but I do know people like dancers and singers move to Melbourne and Sydney, but then they leave behind people happy... It may not be as much as in Melbourne or Sydney but I'd hate to target other cities with both barrels before checking..

Humble pie -if I accidentally sound like a **** then I will thrash myself in accordance with the unwritten rules of forum etiquette....or maybe I won't..and just say 'Up yours'!
Who called you a ****, I'll get em for ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.