British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

bcworld Apr 11th 2011 11:44 am

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Thought is was about time I booked another one of these!

Just booked:

SYD - BKK - LHR in Thai First
LHR - BKK - MEL in Thai First & Business on the MEL leg (no F class on the MEL flights)

...for Aug / Sept.

150k miles + slightly higher than expected taxes of USD412.

Took about 25 mins, of which 15 mins was waiting on hold for a taxes calculation...Mary was very nice & helpful!

:)

Lisa and Martin Apr 11th 2011 12:17 pm

Taxes seem to be a bit variable, I booked two seats (different dates) SYD BKK LHR return for me & my partner in Thai business class. One of us was charged $416US for tax, the other $425US.

I did use the KVS tool (paid for a 2 month subscription at $35)it was well worth the money as once you worked out how to use it it made it so easy to check the flight legs, see different class availability and ring US Airways with exactly what we wanted, flight numbers etc.

Also want to say thanks to BCWorld for this thread :kiss: as I will be 7 months pregnant on my return fight and there's no way I could have made it in Economy!! There's barely enough room for one in those seats, never mind one and a half...

bcworld Apr 11th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin (Post 9297958)
Taxes seem to be a bit variable, I booked two seats (different dates) SYD BKK LHR return for me & my partner in Thai business class. One of us was charged $416US for tax, the other $425US.

Also want to say thanks to BCWorld for this thread :kiss: as I will be 7 months pregnant on my return fight and there's no way I could have made it in Economy!! There's barely enough room for one in those seats, never mind one and a half...

:D

Those small differences come down to changes in exchange rates...some of the taxes are in AUD, some in GBP, some in THB...so when they convert these to USD they get different results on a daily basis

I just did a dummy booking for my flights and taxes came out at A$408 (+ $14k airfare!! :eek:) so I think US$412 is correct.

louiseos Apr 23rd 2011 6:28 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9297985)
:D

Those small differences come down to changes in exchange rates...some of the taxes are in AUD, some in GBP, some in THB...so when they convert these to USD they get different results on a daily basis

I just did a dummy booking for my flights and taxes came out at A$408 (+ $14k airfare!! :eek:) so I think US$412 is correct.

Awesome exchange rate at the moment (US$1.07) . . .any more offers popping up??? :)

Lindajane Apr 29th 2011 7:13 am

Hi everyone,
I have just received the email about "sharing" miles and a 75% bonus going to the recipient. Can I buy the miles now and then share them or do I already have to have them to share. Also what is the difference between sharing and gifting?:confused: I'm working on the principle of me buying 50,000 (37,000 bonus) and sharing them with hubby and he would then do the same for me. Is this the best way or is there a better one? This offer is valid from 4th April until 14th May so not sure why I've only just got the email?? :(

bcworld Apr 29th 2011 7:22 am

Hi Linda,

Yes you must first have miles to share.

If you bought 50k you'd get 50k...costing about USD1500.

You can then share (give) them to your OH who would receive 50k + 75%...it costs about another USD560 to do that.

In past promotions you could share with someone then they could share back with you...this time around they have tightened the conditions...once you have been involved in any share promo transaction you are not eligible for another...so there is no way for you to share with someone then receive promo miles yourself.

The promos are getting marginally less outrageous!

Centurion Apr 29th 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Lindajane (Post 9333032)
Hi everyone,
I have just received the email about "sharing" miles and a 75% bonus going to the recipient. Can I buy the miles now and then share them or do I already have to have them to share. Also what is the difference between sharing and gifting?:confused: I'm working on the principle of me buying 50,000 (37,000 bonus) and sharing them with hubby and he would then do the same for me. Is this the best way or is there a better one? This offer is valid from 4th April until 14th May so not sure why I've only just got the email?? :(

Gifting them is outright buying points to put directly into someones account.

Sharing them is taking your own miles and paying a cent a mile to transfer them to someone elses account.

Lindajane Apr 29th 2011 7:30 am

Thanks bcworld, aren't they getting mean??!! I could do with topping up the miles but I guess I'll just have to hang out for the next deal.

Lindajane Apr 29th 2011 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 9333051)
Gifting them is outright buying points to put directly into someones account.

Sharing them is taking your own miles and paying a cent a mile to transfer them to someone elses account.

Thanks Centurion, Plain and simple is always good!

louie Apr 29th 2011 9:10 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9333044)
In past promotions you could share with someone then they could share back with you...this time around they have tightened the conditions...once you have been involved in any share promo transaction you are not eligible for another...so there is no way for you to share with someone then receive promo miles yourself.

Although if you did want to both buy AND share, then if you could find two family members who wanted to help, they could each set up an account, buy 50,000 shares and then share them with you and your husband..... (I think they'd still need to wait 12? days first though so you'd need to do it soon as this offer expires on 14 May).

KJCherokee May 3rd 2011 9:49 pm

Less than two weeks now before we fly out from Brisbane to UK on Thai business class - we bought our tickets when the "Buy 50,000, get 50,000" deal was operating.

Thanks BCWorld for pointing this out.

Kenji.1 May 14th 2011 4:02 am

Hi guys! Well have just returned from our first round trip to U.K. using Thai & Swiss business class. Really very good:thumbsup:Only snag was US Air failing to contact us re a flight change which left us in BKK for 17 hours. Thank goodness for B/C lounges with day beds showers massages etc.
All together a very positive experience with Thai. I would be more than happy to fly with them again (B/C of course) The long legs where on a 747 which I rate above Airbus for seat comfort. The seat just seems to fit me better.
While I was over there I was passing on the glad tidings of this wonderful scheme but the feedback I've been getting is less than positive because of the pound/US$ exchange rate and the lower cost of fares ex U.K.
Now I know that this works well for those of us able to fund in Au$ but is there anyone out there who is based in the U.K. and has done the figures from a solely U.K. based perspective?? Would appreciate any feedback.

bcworld May 14th 2011 5:20 am

Louie has done this ex-UK (in F). If you want to go premium the numbers are still compelling, particularly for F - but as you say, just not nearly as compelling as ex-Aus.

I also found the older 747 seats more comfy (than the 777), better fit as you say - but it could've just been down to being ready for sleep by that point.

foreveryoung1 May 15th 2011 9:15 am

Not sure if anyone can help but I was working on some flights using Aeroplan and their site went down for maintainance. I'm looking for PER to ideally INN or MUC or ZUR for a ski trip Dep. 29th Feb I did find the Rtn from LHR ok. Thanks if anyone has another checking system?

bcworld May 15th 2011 9:51 am

Originally Posted by foreveryoung1 (Post 9365157)
Not sure if anyone can help but I was working on some flights using Aeroplan and their site went down for maintainance. I'm looking for PER to ideally INN or MUC or ZUR for a ski trip Dep. 29th Feb I did find the Rtn from LHR ok. Thanks if anyone has another checking system?

There are definitely options on the 29th. The usual Thai Airways ex PER. Then you can get to MUC or ZRH, maybe not non stop though but via Frankfurt or Vienna or some other option. Not sure how good US Airways reps would be at finding it for you though!

Do you already have miles in the bank?