British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

papilon Jun 7th 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

I plan to visit friends in Copenhagen next year and the on to London. i know Thai fly there direct from BKK so would i be right in thinking i could get biz class for that trip?

bcworld Jun 7th 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9418416)
I plan to visit friends in Copenhagen next year and the on to London. i know Thai fly there direct from BKK so would i be right in thinking i could get biz class for that trip?

Yes, but you don't want to do that! CPH gets Thai's old business class product (so does Stockholm) which is not pretty. Granted it's better than economy but I'd be looking for another route...via another city, or does SAS fly it?

papilon Jun 7th 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9418462)
Yes, but you don't want to do that! CPH gets Thai's old business class product (so does Stockholm) which is not pretty. Granted it's better than economy but I'd be looking for another route...via another city, or does SAS fly it?

Yes SAS does fly that route, so would they be an option? i guess they would as they are Star Alliance, i am in there FF program, flown with them plenty over the years.

bcworld Jun 7th 2011 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9418494)
Yes SAS does fly that route, so would they be an option? i guess they would as they are Star Alliance, i am in there FF program, flown with them plenty over the years.

SAS would allow you to stopover in CPH before continuing to London...you couldn't do that on Thai...the stopover rules are very strict!

papilon Jun 7th 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9418497)
SAS would allow you to stopover in CPH before continuing to London...you couldn't do that on Thai...the stopover rules are very strict!

So i could fly Thai to BKK, then SAS to CPH stopover then continue on to London?

bcworld Jun 7th 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9418565)
So i could fly Thai to BKK, then SAS to CPH stopover then continue on to London?

Yes. I dont know what the availability is like on SAS though. There would be other options too. Like MEL-BKK-FRA-CPH/stop/LHR if you couldn't get on SAS.

bcworld Jun 8th 2011 12:06 am

Been playing with routes tonight and wondered if this is the bestest value routing yet.

Perth to Cook Islands (RAR) via AKL on Air NZ.

Business class for 30k points.

About 22 hours of flying for around $500!

DeepSix Jun 8th 2011 12:30 am

dont know if this has been mentioned but the buy miles and double it is back on!

"Limited time offer: Get a 100% Bonus - That's DOUBLE miles!
Buy miles between June 6 and June 30, 2011 and get DOUBLE the number of miles. "

:thumbup:

Amazulu Jun 8th 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9418818)
Been playing with routes tonight and wondered if this is the bestest value routing yet.

That would be a great trip. Also looking at ANZ. If we could get PER-AKL-LAX would be great - especially on their newly fitted out B777-300 on AKL-LAX. It would mean spending half a day in Auckland but that's cool. Even if we have to fly 2 of us on one day and the other the next I would go for it.

Budawang Jun 8th 2011 1:35 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9418818)

How were you playing with the routes? Will the Star Alliance website allow you to do this? I thought you had to talk to someone from US Airways to check out availability.

upyerfud Jun 8th 2011 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Budawang (Post 9419061)
How were you playing with the routes? Will the Star Alliance website allow you to do this? I thought you had to talk to someone from US Airways to check out availability.

Buying KVS Availability Tool, and/or joining ANA Airways FF program are 2 ways to find real time availability. You then phone US and TELL them what flights you wan't. Other ways have been mentioned previously in this thread. KVS costs $40 for 6 months.

Happy as Jun 8th 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9417676)
OK, I shouldn't have said 'generally'! :D

I can't remember the last time at check in for an international flight they wanted anything other than a passport. I normally have a printout of something (not an eticket) and it tends to sit on the counter and they never look at it...all they really need is your name, assuming you've turned up on the right day of course! Check your booking on the Thai website a few days before to make sure all is well.

Thank you once again! :thumbsup: I particularly appreciated that you put 'not an eticket' in the second part of your reply - you have obviously recognised me as someone who will worry about every word lol!:lol:

Well, that's me done! I think you are absolutely wonderful for sharing this fantastic website/deal with us all and taking all the time to walk us through our concerns. Thank you,

:D Ha

bcworld Jun 8th 2011 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Budawang (Post 9419061)

Try this:

http://www1.aeroplan.com/adr/AirBooking.do

...and ignore any mileage quotes you see, these are what Air Canada charges, not US. The availability should be the same(ish) however. There is a 7,000 post thread on Flyertalk about all this stuff and the major issue seems to be with US sometimes not being able to see Lufthansa and Swiss F class on transatlantic flights when other programs can.

Amazulu Jun 8th 2011 11:35 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9420293)
Try this:

http://www1.aeroplan.com/adr/AirBooking.do

...and ignore any mileage quotes you see, these are what Air Canada charges, not US. The availability should be the same(ish) however. There is a 7,000 post thread on Flyertalk about all this stuff and the major issue seems to be with US sometimes not being able to see Lufthansa and Swiss F class on transatlantic flights when other programs can.

Another question bc - if all 3 of us have individual FF accounts, how do I make a booking for all of us to fly together?

bcworld Jun 8th 2011 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9420405)
Another question bc - if all 3 of us have individual FF accounts, how do I make a booking for all of us to fly together?

I'm not entirely sure about that. I would give them a call and ask. You can't mix and match miles from multiple accounts to book a single seat, but I don't know what their policy would be if you were holding a reservation for 3 pax and you had 3 accounts each with the right amount for one seat.

Booking seperately is risky...because the airline systems could do funny things e.g. there are 3 seats available, you grab 2 then it goes to zero.

Perhaps some of the people who have booked multiple seats can comment...were they all in one account or otherwise?