British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

bcworld Jun 6th 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9415405)
I never thought of that route. No real desire to go to London, but if we were it would be a good chance for my wife to see family and friends for a few days.

Where on the US Air site can I see how many miles it takes for a particular journey

For US Airways metal you can use this: http://shopping.usairways.com/Flight...xt=AwardTravel

For partners: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/Resou...wardtravel.pdf

Amazulu Jun 6th 2011 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9415411)

Cool. So if I'm reading it right, it's 80k points for a return from BKK-LAX? Where does Australia fit in on this chart, or doesn't it?

bcworld Jun 6th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9415440)
Cool. So if I'm reading it right, it's 80k points for a return from BKK-LAX? Where does Australia fit in on this chart, or doesn't it?

You're reading the economy points level...is that what you're after???

Australia is in the South Pacific group.

So PER-BKK-LAX-BKK-PER would be 110k in Business
BKK-LAX-BKK would be 120k

...go figure!

You'd need to check with them if the routing is legal though...looks OK to me but they might have funny rules about trans-pac.

You could also do PER-AKL-LAX/SFO...NZ not easy to find seats on though.

Amazulu Jun 6th 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9415448)
You're reading the economy points level...is that what you're after???

Australia is in the South Pacific group.

So PER-BKK-LAX-BKK-PER would be 110k in Business
BKK-LAX-BKK would be 120k

...go figure!

You'd need to check with them if the routing is legal though...looks OK to me but they might have funny rules about trans-pac.

You could also do PER-AKL-LAX/SFO...NZ not easy to find seats on though.

I've got it now. 110k for business compared to 80k for economy - you would be mad not to. I think I'm going to buy 50k+50k and see how things pan out. I'll get my wife to join too.

bcworld Jun 6th 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9415473)
I've got it now. 110k for business compared to 80k for economy - you would be mad not to. I think I'm going to buy 50k+50k and see how things pan out. I'll get my wife to join too.

Bear in mind you can call them up and try a dummy booking with 0 miles in your account. It would be worth giving them a call and see what their view is on PER-BKK-LAX...they might say no, or they might quote it at 120k (fair enough although, I'm sure the via NZ route is longer / the same and would be 110k). They have a range of people working the phones...from the very helpful, to the clueless...you takes your chances...if in doubt, hang up and try again!

saintstu Jun 6th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9415352)
You've pretty much summed it up stu.

Woo-hoo!

Safin Jun 6th 2011 10:36 pm

Have I got any chance at all of getting 4 or even 5 seats on the same flight between either brisbane or sydney and london? Probably sometime around june 2012? Not sure how many of these award seats they allocate to each flight. Went with Thai last time i did this alone and was quite happy with them

bcworld Jun 6th 2011 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Safin (Post 9415929)
Have I got any chance at all of getting 4 or even 5 seats on the same flight between either brisbane or sydney and london? Probably sometime around june 2012? Not sure how many of these award seats they allocate to each flight. Went with Thai last time i did this alone and was quite happy with them

I just tried on the Air Canada Aeroplan site (try it, it's much improved and doesn't even need a login)...it offered me 4 business class Sydney to London in May next year (June is too far out) on Asiana, first days I tried! Bit surprised by that.

http://www1.aeroplan.com/adr/AirBooking.do

Safin Jun 6th 2011 11:21 pm

Is Asiana part of the star alliance I can use these miles on then? I never realised. I have been a bit wary as travelling with kids means I NEED the on demand entertainment and heard that asiana doesn't have any.

Happy as Jun 7th 2011 12:40 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9414682)
Paper tickets? No.

In fact, you're doing well if you've even received an email conformation from US Airways.

If you are stopping off somewhere then a printed itinerary is handy, otherwise for check in I find they generally only need a passport.

I can't even access my current reservation on the US website, however I can access and get a copy of it from the Thai website - if you don't have a copy you could try there or lufthansa.

Thank you so much bcworld :)

I think I must be getting old cos the idea of not having a piece of paper...well! :p

Before I totally relax, would you mind explaining the "generally only need a passport". I'm guessing I am a) reading too much into that one word and b) if we need anything other than our passports, then a reservation number should suffice?

I can't tell you how much I appreciated your time and effort on this thread. Travelling in comfort will mean we should get there feeling a bit less frazzled so we can make the most of our limited holiday time, so thank you :)

HA

Happy as Jun 7th 2011 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Safin (Post 9415929)

Safin, I am new at this but we have four business class seats from Melbourne to London for this July. All four of us are on the same flights and we are even lucky enough to have been assigned seats next to one another! I mean, how amazing is that?

I am sooo looking forward to it! Every one at US, Thai and Lufthansa has been lovely and so helpful .... I just hope it lives up to my hopes (which are really only for a safe, straightforward journey sitting next to my family)
:) HA

bcworld Jun 7th 2011 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Safin (Post 9416049)
Is Asiana part of the star alliance I can use these miles on then? I never realised. I have been a bit wary as travelling with kids means I NEED the on demand entertainment and heard that asiana doesn't have any.

I'd have no issues going with Asiana...pinch of salt...but they're one of very few Skytrax 5 star airlines...fairly sure they'd have on demand entertainment. I've always fancied a stopover in Seoul too!

bcworld Jun 7th 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Happy as (Post 9416199)
Before I totally relax, would you mind explaining the "generally only need a passport". I'm guessing I am a) reading too much into that one word and b) if we need anything other than our passports, then a reservation number should suffice?

OK, I shouldn't have said 'generally'! :D

I can't remember the last time at check in for an international flight they wanted anything other than a passport. I normally have a printout of something (not an eticket) and it tends to sit on the counter and they never look at it...all they really need is your name, assuming you've turned up on the right day of course! Check your booking on the Thai website a few days before to make sure all is well.

Amazulu Jun 7th 2011 11:32 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9417676)
OK, I shouldn't have said 'generally'! :D

I can't remember the last time at check in for an international flight they wanted anything other than a passport. I normally have a printout of something (not an eticket) and it tends to sit on the counter and they never look at it...all they really need is your name, assuming you've turned up on the right day of course! Check your booking on the Thai website a few days before to make sure all is well.

bc, can I open an account for my son who is 8? I can't see anything that says I can't

bcworld Jun 7th 2011 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9417761)
bc, can I open an account for my son who is 8? I can't see anything that says I can't

I think people do it.