British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

foreveryoung1 May 16th 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been on the road for the last few days. Yes got the miles, I have found your thread very useful thankyou, and even bought more in the recent share mile offer. Still cannot get back in on the Aeroplan search engine though. If there is a good connecting flight through BKK to MUC I can drive the rest. As I should be able to get hold of US Airways now I will run it past them. Thanks again for a great thread:)

bcworld May 16th 2011 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by foreveryoung1 (Post 9369378)
Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been on the road for the last few days. Yes got the miles, I have found your thread very useful thankyou, and even bought more in the recent share mile offer. Still cannot get back in on the Aeroplan search engine though. If there is a good connecting flight through BKK to MUC I can drive the rest. As I should be able to get hold of US Airways now I will run it past them. Thanks again for a great thread:)

Good luck!

Be careful how much you stockpile just in case of changes to the mileage rates or T&Cs in the program!

So the share promo ended and no promos are currently running...we'll have to wait & see. :unsure:

KJCherokee May 17th 2011 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Kenji.1 (Post 9363468)
Hi guys! Well have just returned from our first round trip to U.K. using Thai & Swiss business class. Really very good:thumbsup:Only snag was US Air failing to contact us re a flight change which left us in BKK for 17 hours. Thank goodness for B/C lounges with day beds showers massages etc.

Had the same problem with USAirways failing to pass on a Thai schedule change, but this time it worked in our favor thanks to Steve on the Thai desk at Brisbane International. We originally had the 17 hour stopover at BKK, but that flight was cancelled so they had rebooked us on the 01:10 flight the next day - but Steve managed to get us on the 01:10 flight 5 hours after our Brisbane flight landed which was an improvement on our original booking.

bcworld May 17th 2011 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 9369958)
Had the same problem with USAirways failing to pass on a Thai schedule change, but this time it worked in our favor thanks to Steve on the Thai desk at Brisbane International. We originally had the 17 hour stopover at BKK, but that flight was cancelled so they had rebooked us on the 01:10 flight the next day - but Steve managed to get us on the 01:10 flight 5 hours after our Brisbane flight landed which was an improvement on our original booking.

I'm guessing you were supposed to be on TG916 on 17th May...there has been a notice on Thai's UK website for a few weeks about some planned cancellations of 916 (and the return 917). Quite odd advance cancellations, no explanation given.

http://www.thaiairways.co.uk/message...=400&width=600

So I guess in the absence of US doing their part...everyone should check the schedule a few days before flying just to make sure.

foreveryoung1 May 18th 2011 10:42 pm

Managed to get the flights booked last night with US Airways,1 hour 5mins is that a record? All said I think they did wellbecause of the interesting routing PER/BKK/CDG/FRA/INN with a total travel time of only 27hours 10 min, then rtn LHR/BKK/PER. Business taxes only US$351.52, so not bad.
I am on TG916 in about 6 weeks time so will have to keep an eye on that one.
Thanks for the tip! Need some more miles now...

bcworld May 18th 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by foreveryoung1 (Post 9374465)
Managed to get the flights booked last night with US Airways,1 hour 5mins is that a record? All said I think they did wellbecause of the interesting routing PER/BKK/CDG/FRA/INN with a total travel time of only 27hours 10 min, then rtn LHR/BKK/PER. Business taxes only US$351.52, so not bad.
I am on TG916 in about 6 weeks time so will have to keep an eye on that one.
Thanks for the tip! Need some more miles now...

:thumbup:

BKK/CDG - nice! (well except for having to go to CDG)

Not sure if you are aware but this route is operated by a plane Thai lease from Jet Airways...it has full lie flat beds in business in the herringbone configuration, so very private! Like this:

http://www.flatseats.com/images/jet_j-4.jpg

You must have some short connections in that 27hr time!

foreveryoung1 May 22nd 2011 8:49 pm

Yes, connections are all about 1.5 hours so we are happy with that.
That seat looks pretty comfortable as well so I might even get a decent nights sleep.
Roll on the next offer as it must be worth having at least one flights worth in the bank, even if they do change the mileage levels which would seem inevitable.
I've never travelled through CDG is it that bad?

bcworld May 22nd 2011 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by foreveryoung1 (Post 9381925)

Me either...but a lot of seasoned travelers rate it their worst airport...and a bitch to transit.

Not sure what the TG to LH transfer involves???

Centurion May 22nd 2011 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by foreveryoung1 (Post 9381925)
Yes, connections are all about 1.5 hours so we are happy with that.
That seat looks pretty comfortable as well so I might even get a decent nights sleep.
Roll on the next offer as it must be worth having at least one flights worth in the bank, even if they do change the mileage levels which would seem inevitable.

It used to be really bad but it's done much to improve recently. But fear not - really you only have to experience the walk to the lounge ;)

foreveryoung1 May 22nd 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks folks, i just double checked and fortunately i do have 2hrs 5mins on that connection, and yes the lounge ahh!

foreveryoung1 May 24th 2011 2:40 pm

Just checked my flight details with Thai for next month and they said USAir should have notified me several months ago about a schedule change. Had it not been for the changes mentioned recently on this thread I probably would not have bothered checking, so thanks for the tip!
TG482 PER/BKK not going out on Mondays now apparently so we have been switched to a Tuesday without being advised. This means I have to get busy and change the hotel which I booked in Bangkok for a couple of nights.
I suggest anyone else flying in the near future with Thai reconfirms their flight details.

bcworld May 24th 2011 3:03 pm

To be honest I wouldn't limit it to Thai...these changes happen on all airlines & it seems US Airways is really slack when it comes to this...really this should happen automatically but I have a 0% success rate at even getting a confirmation email when booking.

bcworld May 30th 2011 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9371198)
I'm guessing you were supposed to be on TG916 on 17th May...there has been a notice on Thai's UK website for a few weeks about some planned cancellations of 916 (and the return 917). Quite odd advance cancellations, no explanation given.

http://www.thaiairways.co.uk/message...=400&width=600

So I guess in the absence of US doing their part...everyone should check the schedule a few days before flying just to make sure.

A long shot that anyone here is affected, but the notice on the TG UK website has now been updated to show cancellations for TG916/917 also on 14th and 21st June.

Happy as Jun 6th 2011 2:09 am

Well I have read allllll the posts but cannot find an answer so...

Firstly, thank you so much to bcworld :wub: ! Thanks to you we (family of four) will be travelling Business Class to LHR next month. Don't particularly want to go over, but the fact we should be travelling in style will make it a lot easier to bear!

My question is..and I hope this doesn't sound too silly but...do they issue tickets or if not, what do you need to take to the airport? We are travelling with Thai and Lufthansa.

I would appreciate any advice re this. I did try phoning US but unusually, had a bad line and gave up! Anyway, I figure you sound like experts :)

Really appreciate your help.
:fingerscrossed: HA

bcworld Jun 6th 2011 10:08 am

Paper tickets? No.

In fact, you're doing well if you've even received an email conformation from US Airways.

If you are stopping off somewhere then a printed itinerary is handy, otherwise for check in I find they generally only need a passport.

I can't even access my current reservation on the US website, however I can access and get a copy of it from the Thai website - if you don't have a copy you could try there or lufthansa.