British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

keefymonster Jul 11th 2011 9:55 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Hello,

Thanks to bcworld the OH and I are thinking of business class Mel > Man 21/10/11 and returning Man >Mel 24/10/11. Aeroplan is showing a number of flights available. Is it safe to assume there are seats available for those flights?
If so, do I call US airways and tell them I wish to book two return flights, giving them the flight numbers and times for each leg of the journey?

Is this the best way to book the flights? Is there any other way?
This is our first time doing this so your advice and guidance would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Keef ;o)

bcworld Jul 11th 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by keefymonster (Post 9490300)
Thanks to bcworld the OH and I are thinking of business class Mel > Man 21/10/11 and returning Man >Mel 24/10/11.

You're going for 2-3 days!??? :confused:

If the flights are on Thai with connections up to MAN then they almost certainly would be available. Have you already purchased miles?

keefymonster Jul 11th 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks for replying bcworld.

Whoops! No we are planning on leaving on 01/10/11 the return date is the correct.
We have already purchased 50k and got the 100%.
We now plan to share 40k with each other to get the 20k bonus (each)
giving us both a total 120k miles.

Am I on the right track with regard to booking the flights?
What do you recommend?

Keef ;o)

bcworld Jul 11th 2011 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by keefymonster (Post 9490401)
Thanks for replying bcworld.

Whoops! No we are planning on leaving on 01/10/11 the return date is the correct.
We have already purchased 50k and got the 100%.
We now plan to share 40k with each other to get the 20k bonus (each)
giving us both a total 120k miles.

Am I on the right track with regard to booking the flights?
What do you recommend?

Keef ;o)

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Sharing 40k will cost USD460 instead of USD591 to just buy 20k.

The last share promo only one person could benefit so you couldn't share with each other and both get the bonus, but I *think* the T&Cs are different this time.

keefymonster Jul 12th 2011 11:28 am

Yep, we are able to share miles between the two accounts.
We now each have a balance of 120k miles.

With regards to my question re: booking flights.
What would you advise?
Should I just say we want to travel on said dates and see what they come up with or should I offer flight numbers?

I don't want to upset the person on the other end of the phone.....

Regards

Keef

bcworld Jul 12th 2011 11:44 am

Originally Posted by keefymonster (Post 9491943)
With regards to my question re: booking flights.
What would you advise?
Should I just say we want to travel on said dates and see what they come up with or should I offer flight numbers?

I don't want to upset the person on the other end of the phone.....

The people on the other end of the phone are quite variable!

Understandably, they think they are the experts and initially they may only want to hear your origin and destination and see what their system offers them - that could be nothing.

What I generally say is that I've previously checked availability for some specific flights and been given availability (I'd probably not mention Aeroplan or ANA, just let them think you previously spoke to US)...but still they might just want origin and destination. If that gives them no options then that's the opportunity to tell them the flights you're after.

If you do come up against someone who essentially refuses to check individual flights (it happens apparently) just give up and call back - most seem helpful from what I can gather and our Aus - Europe itineraries are pretty simple compared to some of the convoluted trips others are booking!

KJCherokee Jul 12th 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9491965)
The people on the other end of the phone are quite variable!

Understandably, they think they are the experts and initially they may only want to hear your origin and destination and see what their system offers them - that could be nothing.

What I generally say is that I've previously checked availability for some specific flights and been given availability (I'd probably not mention Aeroplan or ANA, just let them think you previously spoke to US)...but still they might just want origin and destination. If that gives them no options then that's the opportunity to tell them the flights you're after.

If you do come up against someone who essentially refuses to check individual flights (it happens apparently) just give up and call back - most seem helpful from what I can gather and our Aus - Europe itineraries are pretty simple compared to some of the convoluted trips others are booking!

I second that. When I booked, the first call to US just came up with "there are no seats available on those days". After I'd done all the research (using KVS) I phoned back and said I wanted to book on particular flights and that was all done no trouble.

DON'T USE THE 1800 NUMBER! Unless they have improved things in the last year, getting through the computerised responses is a nightmare. The direct number for Reservations 24/7/365 is +1 480 693 6701, answered by real people, not computers!

keefymonster Jul 12th 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks for your advice.

I'll give them a call tonight.
Fingers crossed it'll be plain sailing...........

I'll let the forum know how I get on.

Keef ;o)

nic75 Jul 12th 2011 8:55 pm

I'll be interested in how you get on, like you I'm new but have had lots of great advice. Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly

keefymonster Jul 13th 2011 12:25 am

Just finished booking two return flights.
Decided on brisbane to manchester return.

BNE>BKK>OSL>MAN>and returning MAN>MUC>BKK>BNE.

We didn't actually get the flight back we wanted, apparently no seats available. I wasn't quick enough to ask if anything was available for the same flight the next day so we ended up with the flight above which means a 8hr connection @ MUC. What is there to do at Munich airport for 8hrs? Does any one have any advice?
We also have a 10hr connection @ BKK. Is there anything can we do whilst we we wait there?

With regard to the booking process:
It took 90 minutes, most of which was spent in silence waiting for the next question. I also got cut off instead of put on hold.
When I called back, I got through to the same person and I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not.
Generally speaking, for the first time and a steep learning curve the booking process wasn't too painful. Taxes were 326 US. So, in a nutshell, we are getting two business class return tickets to the UK for a little over $2200 each. How can you complain about anything really?
bcworld, u da man! thanks for all your help and advice.

Keef ;o)

Kenji.1 Jul 13th 2011 1:25 am

Can't speak for Munich, but we recently got caught with a 17 hour layover in Bangkok.
They do have quite good day beds so that you can get a good kip. It is very quiet. Also excellent showers to freshen up.
I believe that there is short tours of Bangkok available to take in that sort of time frame, but I know that when we got there we couldn't be bothered and where more than happy to sit, eat, drink, oh! and get free massages, and sleeppppp.

Enjoy!

Best

Kenji.1

bcworld Jul 13th 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by keefymonster (Post 9492954)
Just finished booking two return flights.
Decided on brisbane to manchester return.

BNE>BKK>OSL>MAN>and returning MAN>MUC>BKK>BNE.

Long stops, but I'd be pretty happy with that, those cities get the decent Thai business class products. Either option is probably preferable to connecting at LHR.

No idea about MUC, but BKK is now (at last!) connected to the city by a fast train link so depending on the time of day that could be a real option - beware that you will probably be required to pay 700THB departure tax when you try to go airside again. I'm not sure but I do think the airport lounges are closed for 3 hours or so overnight, so once again, bear that in mind depending on the time of day.

KJCherokee Jul 13th 2011 10:34 am

Originally Posted by keefymonster (Post 9492954)
We also have a 10hr connection @ BKK. Is there anything can we do whilst we we wait there?

Keef ;o)

Follow the signs to the Transit (or is it Transfer?) area and you will find a booth offering tours of Bangkok. We took a 4 hour tour of the temples - there were plenty of choices and tours from 4 to 7 hours duration - and for (I think) about 25GBP each we had a car, driver, and personal guide. The formalities of leaving and re-entering the airport were handled smoothly and painlessly (no airport tax), and we had a great time.

Be warned that we were also taken to a huge place where they make (and sell!) gold and silver jewelry - although I must say there was no aggressive selling.

At an extra cost (A$50) our guide arranged a 45 minute boat trip around the canals - well worth it.

Then back to the airport, a shower and change of clothes in the Business lounge, and before you know it your flight is boarding.

bcworld Jul 13th 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 9494021)
Be warned that we were also taken to a huge place where they make (and sell!) gold and silver jewelry - although I must say there was no aggressive selling.

The tour might've been great, but personally I'd avoid any tour / transport that I knew was going to take me to one of those places.

bcworld Jul 13th 2011 12:34 pm

Might be of interest to some, Thai is cutting one of its Sydney flights earlier than previously announced...this is the kind of change US Airways seems to neglect to tell people about:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/thai-airways...ions-explained

I'm on TG476 next month, so not affected although flights may end up much fuller than before.

Review there of A340-600 business seats some may find useful as well.