British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

Tonyc88 Dec 16th 2013 9:21 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

New email:

An update on our alliances and codeshares

We're excited to be a part of the new American and look forward to bringing you a stronger airline. In early 2014, we'll be entering into a codeshare agreement with American, which means that you'll be able to seamlessly book travel throughout the US Airways and American network.
On March 31, 2014, we plan to join the oneworld® alliance, so you can look forward to mileage earning and redemption opportunities, reciprocal elite benefits and lounge access on oneworld carriers. Some of these benefits will be phased in as we work toward full integration.

There are a few important changes to keep in mind for future travel:

We'll be exiting Star Alliance on March 30, 2014. You'll be able to earn and redeem Dividend Miles on Star Alliance carriers until that date. Any existing reservations for travel on a codeshare flight with a Star Alliance partner after March 30, 2014 are safe, however, you'll be rebooked with a new flight number from the carrier operating the flight and you'll no longer earn Dividend Miles or receive Star Alliance Gold or Silver benefits.

Since the legal close of our merger with American on December 9, 2013, we no longer offer codeshare flights for sale with United Airlines. When we exit Star Alliance on March 30, 2014, we will no longer offer codeshare flights for sale with Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa or SWISS. Any existing reservations are safe, but you will not earn Dividend Miles for flights on these carriers after March 30, 2014.

We plan to continue relationships with the following airlines, so you can continue to earn and redeem Dividend Miles on these select partners even after we've exited Star Alliance: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.

US Airways customers with Star Alliance Gold status will no longer have access to Star Alliance lounges after March 30, 2014.

MeinMel Dec 22nd 2013 11:49 am

I am flying PER-CDG on SQ and would like to upgrade with lifemiles and I am confused how many miles I actually need. As per the table AU- EU it is 35000 miles but then it says per flight segment. Does that mean it would be 70000 miles one way? SIN - EU it is 30000 miles. Confused.

bcworld Dec 22nd 2013 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MeinMel (Post 11048037)
I am flying PER-CDG on SQ and would like to upgrade with lifemiles and I am confused how many miles I actually need. As per the table AU- EU it is 35000 miles but then it says per flight segment. Does that mean it would be 70000 miles one way? SIN - EU it is 30000 miles. Confused.

Have you booked an upgradeable fare? Only 2 economy fare classes can be upgraded - Y & B - and these are typically very, very expensive.

Beoz Dec 22nd 2013 10:56 pm

Anyone got any thoughts on Etihad Airlines? Worth flying from Syd to Lon or best go with someone else?

MeinMel Dec 25th 2013 8:38 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11048426)
Have you booked an upgradeable fare? Only 2 economy fare classes can be upgraded - Y & B - and these are typically very, very expensive.

Yes, it's Y class.

tomtom99 Dec 27th 2013 3:09 am

Hi Guys, I don't have any USAirways points left and I am thinking of buying Avianca Lifemiles which are 100% bonus at the moment. I want to fly Bus. to Bangkok rtn in March. Can anybody tell me of their experiences with Avianca? Should I or should I not? Is there any other alternative now that US is in a "holding pattern"? Thanks folks, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

bcworld Dec 27th 2013 10:08 am

Originally Posted by tomtom99 (Post 11052117)
Hi Guys, I don't have any USAirways points left and I am thinking of buying Avianca Lifemiles which are 100% bonus at the moment. I want to fly Bus. to Bangkok rtn in March. Can anybody tell me of their experiences with Avianca? Should I or should I not? Is there any other alternative now that US is in a "holding pattern"? Thanks folks, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

It doesn't get any more straightforward than booking Aus to BKK. You'll have no issues with LifeMiles. Are you already signed up for LM? The current promo only applies to accounts opened by 3 December.

tomtom99 Dec 27th 2013 10:29 am

Yes I am but my partner is only signed up today. Did not read the 3rd December cutoff date-.... Do you think i can buy 100k miles and get 100 bonus then buy my ticket and my partners from my Lifemiles? Do you think USAir will do any more before end March cutoff?
Thanks for your help.

bcworld Dec 27th 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by tomtom99 (Post 11052358)
Yes I am but my partner is only signed up today. Did not read the 3rd December cutoff date-.... Do you think i can buy 100k miles and get 100 bonus then buy my ticket and my partners from my Lifemiles? Do you think USAir will do any more before end March cutoff?
Thanks for your help.

You can buy 75k + 75k bonus.

However you don't need to buy that many. You can make your booking using part cash part miles. I can't remember off the top of my head but for BOTH of your return tickets you will need about 75k miles total... Plus cash. This will work out no more expensive than only using miles. Go play with the online booking engine of you're not sure what I'm talking about.

Dorothy Dec 27th 2013 1:14 pm

I just got off the phone with a very helpful young woman who booked our Northern hemisphere summer trip. It would have been easier to have just booked all the tickets on the one account, but the call centre staff at USAir were really helpful in getting us flights that all 3 of us could go to our chosen destinations in business.

So...I'm off to New York via BKK/PVG to meet up with my sister in June for a week before my husband and daughter meet up with me in Toronto for 2 weeks then the 3 of us are off to Prague for 5 days as a stopover before heading home.

Thanks again BC for all your help in getting me started on how to find flights. You're a :starsmile:

tomtom99 Dec 28th 2013 2:50 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11052365)
You can buy 75k + 75k bonus.

However you don't need to buy that many. You can make your booking using part cash part miles. I can't remember off the top of my head but for BOTH of your return tickets you will need about 75k miles total... Plus cash. This will work out no more expensive than only using miles. Go play with the online booking engine of you're not sure what I'm talking about.

Thanks BC you are spot on . You're a legend!

Dorothy Dec 28th 2013 2:56 am

Just a quickie here. How do I go about pre-booking seats? USAir says contact the partner airlines but Thai, AC and Lufthansa all say contact who I made the booking with. :confused: I'd like us to sit together if we can on our way to Europe and home.

Sorry if it's been said earlier in the thread.

RedDragon2008 Dec 28th 2013 3:12 am

Any recommendations for the best reward/loyalty scheme in taking the following business travel into consideration:

- Fortnightly return flights to Singapore and KL
- Weekly interstate flights Melbourne - Sydney - Brisbane
- Annual first class to UK/Europe, and North America (AGM attendance so get treated).

Hoping someone with knowledge can update on Singapore or Emirates? and their Australian domestic alliances?

louie Dec 28th 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11053177)
Just a quickie here. How do I go about pre-booking seats? USAir says contact the partner airlines but Thai, AC and Lufthansa all say contact who I made the booking with. :confused: I'd like us to sit together if we can on our way to Europe and home.

Sounds like you've been unlucky with whoever you have spoken to at the airlines, as it's the airlines that allocate their own seats! You'll have to try again. I'm not sure if any of those airlines offer online seat selection - maybe try that first?

Dorothy Dec 28th 2013 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 11053298)
Sounds like you've been unlucky with whoever you have spoken to at the airlines, as it's the airlines that allocate their own seats! You'll have to try again. I'm not sure if any of those airlines offer online seat selection - maybe try that first?

Thanks Louie. I'll try phoning their offices here in Australia on Monday. Maybe I can do it over the phone. :)