British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

old.sparkles Dec 5th 2013 9:21 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11023538)
Honestly, you wouldn't flippin' read about it. For those who have followed the saga of trying to get the Scouser home on dividend miles flights before his brother passed away, and then realizing that I couldn't change his return flights so had to use another 120,000 miles to get them.....

He's just rung me from Manchester, all flights cancelled due to bad weather. The airlines have been good, and have rerouted him to Bangkok via London in 4 hours - if the weather clears. Both the MAN - LON and LON - BKK flights are in economy. And, he'll only have a 3 hour layover in BKK so he doesn't need the hotel room I've booked at the Novotel - which was a 'deal' and is non-refundable.

I've decided to laugh rather than the more tempting alternative!!

this may help :drinkingwine: - hopefully he'll be home safe soon :fingerscrossed:

spouse of scouse Dec 5th 2013 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11023559)
this may help :drinkingwine: - hopefully he'll be home safe soon :fingerscrossed:

oooer thanks Sparkies :p Don't mind if I do!

louie Dec 5th 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11023538)
He's just rung me from Manchester, all flights cancelled due to bad weather. The airlines have been good, and have rerouted him to Bangkok via London in 4 hours - if the weather clears. Both the MAN - LON and LON - BKK flights are in economy. And, he'll only have a 3 hour layover in BKK so he doesn't need the hotel room I've booked at the Novotel - which was a 'deal' and is non-refundable.

Oh dear. I can't check for you because the ANA tool won't work for same day travel but has he asked if he could route through somewhere else in Europe to get business class? Maybe Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Zurich?

spouse of scouse Dec 5th 2013 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 11023581)
Oh dear. I can't check for you because the ANA tool won't work for same day travel but has he asked if he could route through somewhere else in Europe to get business class? Maybe Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Zurich?

Not sure Louie, it was a fairly brief conversation so didn't get to ask him much. His original (cancelled) flight was through Copenhagen. To add insult to injury, he wasn't allowed to use the business lounge in Manchester! I'll be following that up, baskets :frown:

ps: Scouse is a luddite Louie, doesn't have a mobile. I bloody told him he might need one! There, I've cheered myself up because I can tell him "I told you so" when he gets back :lol:

gtewary Dec 5th 2013 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11022746)
The few airlines that still offer a migrant baggage allowance usually want an unvalidated permanent residency visa.

Thank you
Is it worth flying via USA to avail their more generous allowances. have seen this mentioned but I cannot figure out how to book this apart from ANZ which flies via LA but is too expensive.
Anyone done a London-Sydney via USA for under 3K (AUD)?

bcworld Dec 5th 2013 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by gtewary (Post 11023624)
Thank you
Is it worth flying via USA to avail their more generous allowances. have seen this mentioned but I cannot figure out how to book this apart from ANZ which flies via LA but is too expensive.
Anyone done a London-Sydney via USA for under 3K (AUD)?

Be careful that the info you read isn't out of date. Air NZ no longer offers the 2 piece allowance via the USA...the other option you could look at is probably United. LHR-LAX or SFO-SYD.

spouse of scouse Dec 6th 2013 10:22 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11023559)

In the cold light of morning, I'm not so sure that the wine was a good idea :blink: ;)

No idea if he caught his alternative flights so I'll just front up at the airport tomorrow and hope for the best! I've checked the travel insurance policy and shouldn't have any trouble claiming the cancelled hotel room - it also states that they'll reimburse the value of FF points 'based on the cheapest airfare in the comparable class of travel' - I won't hold my breath on that one.

KJCherokee Dec 9th 2013 7:52 am

Email received yesterday.

Dear ****,
Today is a big day for American Airlines and US Airways.
Our merger has legally closed, which means we're taking an exciting step toward building the new American. We're combining to form a stronger airline with an extensive network, greater schedule options and a modern, fuel-efficient fleet.
It's important to note that there is no impact to any existing reservations you may have with American Airlines or US Airways at this time, and any mileage balance or elite status you have earned in either frequent flyer program is completely safe. You can continue to earn miles through existing Dividend Miles participating companies – including the US Airways MasterCard® and US Airways Visa® credit cards – and redeem those miles for the same great awards.
We'll continue to function as two separate airlines for quite some time and very few changes will happen immediately. For now, you won't see any changes to your travel experience as we will be focusing completely on delivering a superior operation during the busy holiday travel season. But beginning in early January, we'll announce exciting new benefits such as the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers and reciprocal lounge access.
We're excited to share that we plan to join the oneworld® alliance on March 31, 2014, which means our Dividend Miles members can look forward to mileage earning and redemption opportunities, reciprocal elite benefits and lounge access on oneworld carriers.
We'll exit Star Alliance on March 30, 2014 and, as of today, we'll no longer offer codeshare flights for sale on United Airlines. Rest assured any reservations you may have with United Airlines and other Star Alliance partners are safe, and you'll continue to earn miles and receive benefits until that time. Learn more about our journey to oneworld, as well as new codeshare opportunities coming soon by visiting usairways.com/arriving.

Your continued loyalty is very important to us and we will be working hard in the coming weeks and months to deliver a world class travel experience. Look for additional communications from our new American team on these and other benefits headed your way. You also can stay up-to-date on the latest developments by following our social channels.
I'm excited to start this journey and look forward to building a stronger airline for you.

Sincerely,

Scott Kirby
President
American Airlines

Does the bit I've highlighted in blue mean that we can no longer use our miles for Star Alliance bookings? I suspect it does.

bcworld Dec 9th 2013 8:06 am

No it doesn't mean that at all. Star alliance booking is alive and well.

KJCherokee Dec 9th 2013 9:03 am

Yes, my friend (who received the email above) finally managed to get through this morning and make his booking. So we've still got 3 months to make Star Alliance bookings.

louie Dec 9th 2013 9:17 am

From the FAQ:

"1. When will US Airways exit Star Alliance?
On March 30, 2014, we’ll exit Star Alliance. Until that time, you’ll be able to enjoy all Star Alliance benefits, including:

1.Priority recognition when flying on Star member airlines
2.Star Gold benefits such as priority check-in, priority boarding and lounge access
3.Ability to earn miles when flying on any Star Alliance member airline (miles will count toward Preferred status)
4.Ability to book award tickets on any Star Alliance airline. Award tickets booked on Star member airlines will be honored for up to one year (some relationships will continue)"

Amazulu Dec 9th 2013 2:26 pm

It is generally acknowledged that business-class flights out of Europe are cheaper from the continent than from the UK

So it would be an Easyjet to mainline Europe and then an business-class flight onwards

Any info on what cities/airlines are best for this option?

bcworld Dec 9th 2013 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11028541)
It is generally acknowledged that business-class flights out of Europe are cheaper from the continent than from the UK

So it would be an Easyjet to mainline Europe and then an business-class flight onwards

Any info on what cities/airlines are best for this option?

It's not Europe but Cairo has always been good for this. A few years ago Tripoli was amazing for it...used to price out BA F TIP-SYD return for about GBP1.5k! I think TIP is probably off the cards now though.

In Europe...I'm sure I've read a lot of people booking ex ARN. What you need to be doing is booking a feeder flight on an airline that goes back through their hub...e.g. ARN-LHR-SYD-LHR-ARN...of course you often 'forget' to fly the last leg.

Amazulu Dec 9th 2013 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11028557)
It's not Europe but Cairo has always been good for this. A few years ago Tripoli was amazing for it...used to price out BA F TIP-SYD return for about GBP1.5k! I think TIP is probably off the cards now though.

In Europe...I'm sure I've read a lot of people booking ex ARN. What you need to be doing is booking a feeder flight on an airline that goes back through their hub...e.g. ARN-LHR-SYD-LHR-ARN...of course you often 'forget' to fly the last leg.

You sir are a star. Thai out of Stockholm for next Easter at about AUD3500 return. UK-ARN return will not be more than a few 100 AUD

Amazulu Dec 9th 2013 6:50 pm

[QUOTE=bcworld;11028557ARN-LHR-SYD-LHR-ARN...of course you often 'forget' to fly the last leg.[/QUOTE]

That can be done but it's nearly 5.5k