British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

Lindajane Feb 19th 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and will probably ask very obvious questions that have been answered a million times...even though I've (tried) to read through all 31 pages!!

We're looking to fly from Sydney to LHR around the 7th June, returning around the 20th July and the thought of not having to go cattle class is deliciously tantalising :)

Apart from BKK what are the most likely routes to have business class availability- either east or west? Am I right in thinking you can have one stop over per trip - not each way? What actually constitutes a stop over, is it if you leave the airport? Can you fly east one way and west back? Will normal travel insurance cover you when you are using DMs?

I've just about got my head round the ANA site and Nexus seems good, I'm just not sure what airlines go where?

We only joined up yesterday so have to wait another 11 days before booking but I'm sooooo excited I just want it to happen now!

bcworld Feb 19th 2011 8:39 pm

Hi Linda,

BKK is the number 1 option. SIN is basically out as Singapore Airlines doesn't allow premium redemptions on the planes that operate most Aus - SIN flights and ALL SIN - UK flights. Routes via Frankfurt and some other spots might be a possibility on Singapore.

Searches bring up options via Beijing on China Airlines but that doesn't really appeal.

Westbound there will be options via LAX or SFO or Vancouver...United or Air New Zealand or Air Canada, these are certainly harder to come by than Thai.

Stopover rules are fairly complex but yes it is one per itinerary I think AND I think the stop over can only be at a hub city of the arriving airline; like Thai into Bangkok, or Singapore into Singapore - there's probably some flexibility on that depending on the call centre agent you get.

I think a stopover is +24hrs in duration, so in theory you could probably get a night somewhere without it counting as one.

East one way and west back, not sure, it sounds like a round the world which has a higher fee...again, it might come down to who you talk to.

As for the travel insurance, you'd need to check the terms & conditions of individual policies, very grey area.

Good luck!

KJCherokee Feb 20th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by bcworld
East one way and west back, not sure, it sounds like a round the world which has a higher fee...again, it might come down to who you talk to

I think (but you need to check) that the difference between going out via Asia and back via America and a round-the-world ticket is that round-the-world tickets allow multiple stopovers - up to 6 or 7.

Lindajane Feb 20th 2011 10:47 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll do some more checking for the insurance and route options - quite fancy via ICN...as long as war doesn't break out :(

Anyone had experience of Korean business class?

freebo Feb 20th 2011 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lindajane (Post 9190113)
Thanks for the replies. I'll do some more checking for the insurance and route options - quite fancy via ICN...as long as war doesn't break out :(

We flew Korean business class LHR-ICN-SYD in early Jan, they where absolutely great, in some respects (food and service) we preferred them to Emirates. Plane was a 747 with angled flatbeds.

P.S. ICN is very close to the N Korean border, the plane detoured to avoid their airspace.

bcworld Feb 20th 2011 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lindajane (Post 9190113)

Korean isn't a Star Alliance airline so you couldn't use this offer.

For ICN you would have to look at Asiana.

A very highly regarded airline I think.

Lindajane Feb 20th 2011 3:15 pm

Ooops, didn't check my codes properly.... just presumed Korean. Thanks BCWorld for pointing that out as I'd have looked a bit silly when I tried to book. Still fancy the route, with a stopover in Seoul and even better if Asiana is well thought of. It looks like it would be on a 777, any tips on what they're like, goods seats to try for etc?

bcworld Feb 20th 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lindajane (Post 9190439)
Ooops, didn't check my codes properly.... just presumed Korean. Thanks BCWorld for pointing that out as I'd have looked a bit silly when I tried to book. Still fancy the route, with a stopover in Seoul and even better if Asiana is well thought of. It looks like it would be on a 777, any tips on what they're like, goods seats to try for etc?

Not too much idea about Asiana.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/asiana.htm

Looking at the website the BC seats look a bit more traditional (angled lie-flat) than I was expecting but that doesn't bother me too much.

Have to admit I hadn't really thought about them but would do as I'd also like to stop over in Seoul on day.

Vegemite Kids Feb 20th 2011 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lindajane (Post 9190439)

Use SeatGuru for good info about what seats to pick.

For the Asiana 777 layout, 2A&C are the best seats. (I've not flown Asiana, but know that layout from other airlines).

Lindajane Feb 20th 2011 6:27 pm

Thank you. Seat Guru has just gone into favourites and I cannot believe how excited I'm getting. Roll on booking day but if this all goes belly up I think I may lose the will to live!

bcworld Feb 20th 2011 7:13 pm

How many seats are you hoping to book Linda?

Lindajane Feb 20th 2011 7:30 pm

Two - unless I have to put OH behind the curtain cos there's only one available:lol:

Kenji.1 Feb 23rd 2011 2:51 pm

Hi B.C. and all world travellers. I could do with a bit of expert help here. Is there a travel tool available on line that will show me alternative routings between 2 points?? At the moment I am just working in the dark if I can't get direct. I find I am O.K. with Europe, but at the moment trying to organise a trip Perth - Vancouver, and Perth New York I am struggling to find availability.

As always any pointers much appreciated.

Kenji.1

louie Feb 23rd 2011 8:02 pm

Assuming you mean on Star Alliance airlines so you can make use of this offer, try here.

No more sleeps for me, we're heading out of LHR to Sydney via Bangkok on Thai this evening :thumbup:

Centurion Feb 23rd 2011 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 9198294)
Assuming you mean on Star Alliance airlines so you can make use of this offer, try here.

No more sleeps for me, we're heading out of LHR to Sydney via Bangkok on Thai this evening :thumbup:

Enjoy the massage in BKK.