British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

bcworld May 10th 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by Budawang (Post 10054274)
That's a great deal, but why not fly all the way to the Cook Islands with a stopover in AKL? Went there last year and it was very nice.

I could be wrong but I think no stopover is allowed when all travel is in the same zone. If you kept the stop in AKL to <24 hours it would work.

Lindajane May 12th 2012 11:37 am

Hi All,
Help needed again! We've booked flights back to the UK in Sept but because of family problems over there it looks like we will need to bring the flights forward. Has anyone done this and is the reallocation fee of $150 the only charge or are there loads of extra ones? I couldn't find the T&C's anywhere so I sent US Airways an email but it will take 5-7 days for a reply (if I get one at all) so any input would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

bcworld May 12th 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lindajane (Post 10056968)
Hi All,
Help needed again! We've booked flights back to the UK in Sept but because of family problems over there it looks like we will need to bring the flights forward. Has anyone done this and is the reallocation fee of $150 the only charge or are there loads of extra ones? I couldn't find the T&C's anywhere so I sent US Airways an email but it will take 5-7 days for a reply (if I get one at all) so any input would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Just the $150 Linda...plus any difference in taxes due to exchange rate changes, different routing etc.

Please bear in mind that once your travel has started you cannot change your return date under any circumstances. I am traveling back to the UK tomorrow due to one of those phone calls and I didn't use US miles as I can't fix my return date. If you don't know when you will be returning US miles are not the way to go.

Lindajane May 12th 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks bcworld,
Don't we all just dread those phone calls? As the return date could be an issue what is the cancellation policy with booked flights?

bcworld May 12th 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lindajane (Post 10057037)
Thanks bcworld,
Don't we all just dread those phone calls? As the return date could be an issue what is the cancellation policy with booked flights?

When you cancel you pay $150 to have the miles redeposited into your account. Taxes etc will be refunded but not the $50 booking fee.

Hope your situation is OK. :fingerscrossed:

Lindajane May 12th 2012 12:47 pm

Many thanks bcworld - at least I know I have got some options that don't include just losing the lot!
Hope all goes well with your trip back.

Tonyc88 May 27th 2012 2:29 am

Hey all,

I'm thinking of flying to Japan from London Heathrow. This looks to be 80k miles for business and i think that's good value considering Virgin want 1200AUD for an economy ticket.

I'm looking for

LHR > KIX (Osaka)
NRT (Tokyo) > LHR

Can anyone recommend a good star alliance partner to fly with? Lufthansa looks good. I may just end up flying in and out of Tokyo as it seems not many airlines like the differing entry and exit (and don't seem to like Osaka from Europe)

Q: If my destination is Osaka can I get them to fly me to Japan and then onwards to Osaka for the first leg? I can make my own way back to Tokyo via train. Is this allowed?
Q: Which aircraft/carrier offers the best business. I have a lot of choice for the long leg:

Lufthansa Airbus A380-800,
ANA Nippon Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Swiss airlines Airbus A340-300

Tonyc88 May 27th 2012 7:41 am

Update: I'm probably going to just fly into Tokyo and get the train to Osaka. there is an ANA flight to osaka but it's not till 5pm. Can't be bothered waiting the day at the airport and i'll be seeing Tokyo later in this trip!

So i'm thinking Swiss air on the way out as the business seems a bit more quiet, specious and beds are lie flat.

ANA on the way back, not as good as Swiss but there doesn't appear to be a Swiss flight.

bcworld May 27th 2012 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Tonyc88 (Post 10085175)
So i'm thinking Swiss air on the way out as the business seems a bit more quiet, specious and beds are lie flat.

ANA on the way back, not as good as Swiss but there doesn't appear to be a Swiss flight.

Swiss would definitely be better than Lufthansa, who for reasons best known to themselves continued to install their slopey business seats on the A380.

jamesflorraine May 30th 2012 8:36 pm

Hi everybody we now have our 150 000 points and want to go to the Uk for Christmas, Either Manchester or Birmingham, we can travel anytime from Dec 19th until 22nd and return anytime from Jan 3rd until 7th.
We are prepared to travel from Brisbane or Sydney, we know that with Thai that they do not do First class from Brisbane but would be prepared to do Business from Brisbane and then First from wherever,
We would consider Sydney also but prefer Brisbane because of the Luggage allowance with us living in Qld can anybody help us with regard to Availability as I know BC and a few others on here are really clued up with the search element of this thank you James

Almo May 30th 2012 10:10 pm

I'm not as clued up as others on searching but you can try aeroplan.com, go to the use your miles tab. I also use ANA but that has it's own drawbacks. Aeroplan might get you started before someone else comes along.

We have our miles now too and my fears have been realised - no return availability! We are looking at LHR-MEL on 29/30 or at a push 31 Jan and aeroplan shows no all business option, I think when I checked ANA the other day that showed nothing either. I will need to dig back through the thread as I know someone (bcworld I'm pretty sure) suggested routes via OSL or FRA so I will try and piece one together that way.

Happy searching and booking james!

jamesflorraine May 30th 2012 11:32 pm

Hi is it possible for example to fly out From Sydney and Back to Brisbane thanks

phat-dave May 30th 2012 11:47 pm

Would an itiniery crossing two oceans be allowed?

MEL > LAX > JFK (stop over) > JFK > GVA (destination)
make my own way to ....
CDG > ORD (stop over) > MEL (via what ever US city, doesn't phase me)

??

bcworld May 31st 2012 12:12 am

Originally Posted by phat-dave (Post 10092616)
Would an itiniery crossing two oceans be allowed?

MEL > LAX > JFK (stop over) > JFK > GVA (destination)
make my own way to ....
CDG > ORD (stop over) > MEL (via what ever US city, doesn't phase me)

??

Travel from South Pacific to Europe is not allowed via the Americas. Stupid rule but it is what it is.

bcworld May 31st 2012 12:14 am

Originally Posted by jamesflorraine (Post 10092591)
Hi is it possible for example to fly out From Sydney and Back to Brisbane thanks

Yes. If you do you wont be allowed any stopovers though.