Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Perth?

Wikiposts

Brisbane or Perth?

Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:01 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane or Perth?

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
But sometimes it's not about rose tinted glasses but more that as a tourist you only see one side of a city....when we first visited Perth we were amazed how much of a graveyard the city was at the weekend, there was just no-one around and very little open, just one big shopping mall. However when we came to live here we got to know the areas that had more life at the weekend (still think the city is a weekend graveyard but now never go near it at the weekends, unless I'm working).

Guess the bottom line is that once you live in a place it brings more balance to your perspective....
I do see what your saying, but as much as you'd adjust and achieve a balance its always going to be reletive to something else, and were comparing it to Perth, we visited Perth for 6 days on a round the world trip and within hours of getting of the plane somehow knew how good it was and realised this should be home.

I do some pretty major research on any trip I make, and did the same with Brisbane, I guess maybe I set our expectations to high as it always seemed to be the other place people relocated to. For us it was a huge dissapointment and a pretty major let down.

If I go anywhere else and get back off the plane in Perth and see the city and or ocean as were coming in, it just feels right and gives us that buzz that we are real lucky buggers. There arent many places in the world that give me that feeling (Maybe Vegas, to some extent San Fran & San Diego ) an incomparable feeling but still something, with Brisbane its just nothing with a hint of you poor b'stards

Last edited by steve99; Feb 8th 2007 at 4:06 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Maybe the Pommy Enclave will be getting smaller as new Pommy Immigrants get priced out of the market.
You've probably got a point there. I can't believe people make such life changing decisions based on whether or not they can afford to buy a home outright: sure, in an ideal world we'd all love to be mortgage free but there are more important things to think about.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
If I go anywhere else and get back off the plane in Perth and see the city and or ocean as were coming in, it just feels right and gives us that buzz that we are real lucky buggers.
We went to Sydney a few months ago and I felt exactly the same when we flew back.

In fact, it's the first holiday I've ever been on where I havent absolutely dreaded having to go back home and back to "normality"
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

You are partly right Knobhead.
It's full of English scum but is not boring, unlike you.
You know nothing about me!
Obviously for a man to call a woman a knobhead says so much about you.
Carry on showing yourself up.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:10 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
We went to Sydney a few months ago and I felt exactly the same when we flew back.

In fact, it's the first holiday I've ever been on where I havent absolutely dreaded having to go back home and back to "normality"
Its an odd feeling to describe isnt it, I've heard a few people say it about Perth. I went to Thailand last year and loved it, I did have a dodgy stomach towards the end (which may of influenced me a bit) but I was actually excited to be heading back here, how sad am I
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
You've probably got a point there. I can't believe people make such life changing decisions based on whether or not they can afford to buy a home outright: sure, in an ideal world we'd all love to be mortgage free but there are more important things to think about.
I was watching an episode of WDU last night about the mechanic and family moving to Adelaide. They were showing them absolutely stunning houses that they could just about buy without a mortgage. The thing is, he would be earning under $40k pa, which even without a mortgage and with 3 kids is virtually impossible, IMO. So yeah, he would be able to buy outright but life would be pretty grim without any money.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:12 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
You know nothing about me!
Obviously for a man to call a woman a knobhead says so much about you.
Carry on showing yourself up.
You insulted me. If you can't take it back, don't start it.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

I do see what your saying, but as much as you'd adjust and achieve a balance its always going to be reletive to something else, and were comparing it to Perth, we visited Perth for 6 days on a round the world trip and within hours of getting of the plane somehow knew how good it was and realised this should be home.

I do some pretty major research on any trip I make, and did the same with Brisbane, I guess maybe I set our expectations to high as it always seemed to be the other place people relocated to. For us it was a huge dissapointment and a pretty major let down.

If I go anywhere else and get back off the plane in Perth and see the city and or ocean as were coming in, it just feels right and gives us that buzz that we are real lucky buggers. There arent many places in the world that give me that feeling (Maybe Vegas, to some extent San Fran & San Diego ) an incomparable feeling but still something, with Brisbane its just nothing with a hint of you poor b'stards
I guess it is more of a personal thing in the end and what gives you a buzz does not necessarily dot he same for someone else.....from our perspective we love the beach lifestyle here but we are fairly nomadic by nature and get a buzz from the prospect of moving and experiencing something new....
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

If I go anywhere else and get back off the plane in Perth and see the city and or ocean as were coming in, it just feels right and gives us that buzz that we are real lucky buggers.
I get that feeling every time I come back to Perth on a plane too.

Also, the first glimpse of the NW Cape and Exmouth gives me that feeling too, the place we go on holiday every easter is always the first bit of Australia you see when you are flying back from overseas.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

You insulted me. If you can't take it back, don't start it.
What...sausage face! i was just having abit of fun...no offence ment

come on wheres your sence of humour?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Okay. I'm sorry. I took it the wrong way as it was unexpected.

Peace.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

LOL, still amazes me how many threads end up in off topic slagging off....sorry for interupting, please continue....sausage face I think it was your turn now...
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL, still amazes me how many threads end up in off topic slagging off....sorry for interupting, please continue....sausage face I think it was your turn now...
And whilst we are on off topic things...has anyone noticed how amazingly well England are doing...saw a great quote from the Times...

"Ridiculous, isn't it? A bit of confidence, a bit of enthusiasm, and suddenly the team's entire approach is turned on its head. As Simon Barnes wrote in The Times this week, England's cricketers resemble men who have rushed into a burning house to rescue a baby, but emerge only with a cat. ("It's a nice cat, and you are fond of it, but it's not exactly what you went in for ...")"
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

I know what you mean..things do go off track, but i find it all so funny really, keeps me from going insane

I am a down to earth person and like to have abit of fun...just the sausage thing in Amazulu's name makes me laugh all the time.

Oh well..enough about me
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:39 pm
Living in Perthection

I guess it is more of a personal thing in the end and what gives you a buzz does not necessarily dot he same for someone else.....from our perspective we love the beach lifestyle here but we are fairly nomadic by nature and get a buzz from the prospect of moving and experiencing something new....
Your right its completely all down to personal choice, I dont expect everyone to agree with me, I just try and give examples and put some reasoning behind my opinions (especially when there sometimes pretty strong ) in the hope that others see a hint of logic and reason behind them.
I understand your nomadic traits! (I just hope your now not considering Brisbane)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.