Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Perth?

Wikiposts

Brisbane or Perth?

Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Brisbane or Perth?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
We chose Brisbane over Perth, because we felt it was 'too isolated'......does that make us Tools?

Whats good for goose, isn't nessecarily good for gander, my friends!

We like a bit of variety in our lives, you know.....LOTS of different cities to choose to visit of a long weekend. We might wake up on a Saturday morning and think, 'ah, today we fancy the trash of Surfers - lets go'! Or we might wake up and think, 'this weekend, we want to relax on pristine white sand beaches - Sunny coast here we come'! Or we might wake up and think, 'this weekend, lets make a road trip and visit NSW' - so off we go! Or we might wake up and think, ' lets do some mountainy type things, maybe get the bikes out and the walking boots on' - so off we go!

Can you at least TRY to understand my point?

It's all about the variety of choice - Perth doesn't have that!
Just out of interest as have been reading this thread, what area are you in Brisbane?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:13 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bishop3912
Just out of interest as have been reading this thread, what area are you in Brisbane?
We are not there yet! However, are looking at the Maroochy area to 'potentially' settle!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:17 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

We chose Brisbane over Perth, because we felt it was 'too isolated'......does that make us Tools?
!
No comment....

We like a bit of variety in our lives, you know.....LOTS of different cities to choose to visit of a long weekend. We might wake up on a Saturday morning and think, 'ah, today we fancy the trash of Surfers - lets go'! Or we might wake up and think, 'this weekend, we want to relax on pristine white sand beaches - Sunny coast here we come'! Or we might wake up and think, 'this weekend, lets make a road trip and visit NSW' - so off we go! Or we might wake up and think, ' lets do some mountainy type things, maybe get the bikes out and the walking boots on' - so off we go!

!
No its an absolutely ridiculous point!
But your forgetting one major thing, Brisbane is an absolute dump of a city and is about a 100km from anywhere you'd want to be, and even then your pretty much limited to the Sunshine coast.
Brisbane is to isolated from decent beaches, I can walk for less than 5mins to the ocean and be in the centre of a real city in less than 15mins car journey, you cant do that in Brisbane.
But the real downside is thats its so far to travel to get to Perth from Brisbane
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
No comment....

But your forgetting one major thing, Brisbane is an absolute dump of a city and is about a 100km from anywhere you'd want to be, and even then your pretty much limited to the Sunshine coast.
Brisbane is to isolated from decent beaches, I can walk for less than 5mins to the ocean and be in the centre of a real city in less than 15mins car journey, you cant do that in Brisbane.
But the real downside is thats its so far to travel to get to Perth from Brisbane
Don't complain Steve. I am positively shouting hurrah from the rooftops that people are choosing Brisbane over Perth.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:30 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Don't complain Steve. I am positively shouting hurrah from the rooftops that people are choosing Brisbane over Perth.
Your right, I guess im just too caring at heart, and feel sorry for people that dont know any better and just cant help themselves
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:10 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously not loud enough NB 'cos I haven't heard you.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

No comment....

Have you ever lived in Brisbane? I know you have visited it but there is a world of difference between visiting and living....
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:57 pm
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

I assume you've lived in Perth to make this claim?

Perth has as many cities to choose from as Brisbane - it just takes longer to get there. But what another 2 hours when you've already been on a plane for 3 anyway?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by binky
I assume you've lived in Perth to make this claim?

Perth has as many cities to choose from as Brisbane - it just takes longer to get there. But what another 2 hours when you've already been on a plane for 3 anyway?
With small children any time on a plane seems like an eternity!!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:41 pm
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Have you ever lived in Brisbane? I know you have visited it but there is a world of difference between visiting and living....
Totally agree, usually once the rose tinted specs wear off you realise its not all its cracked up to be and isnt the same as a visit, thankfully I didnt have the specs on when I visited both times, and realised what it was all about straight up.
Never lived in Brisbane and would never want to, even gave it a second chance and went back again for a visit, equally dissapointing...
There's just nothing about it that I liked, the city was dirty and tired looking, the central shopping areas were dated, the road systems around it seemed badly laid out and congensted, eating out was expensive, average quality and decent restaurants were definitely at a premium. Then there was the humidity, sure its only a few months, but still not enjoyable. But worst of all was just the location of it, I just thought why the hell would anyone want to relocate to Brisbane its just an average city with nothing particularily positive going for it, to get to the nice places you'd actually want to live and visit you've got an hour and a halfs drive out and up the coast.
Brisbane's nothing more than an average city, and there two a penny the world over, you dont relocate to Brisbane because its near the beaches, or near the ski resorts, or the culture, you dont relocate there to get into a booming employment area, or because its a stunning city or has 1st class nightlife, so as I said before I havent managed to find anything of it that sets it apart from hundreds of other cities and there are plenty of them that id choose over Brisbane.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Totally agree, usually once the rose tinted specs wear off you realise its not all its cracked up to be and isnt the same as a visit, thankfully I didnt have the specs on when I visited both times, and realised what it was all about straight up.
Never lived in Brisbane and would never want to, even gave it a second chance and went back again for a visit, equally dissapointing...
There's just nothing about it that I liked, the city was dirty and tired looking, the central shopping areas were dated, the road systems around it seemed badly laid out and congensted, eating out was expensive, average quality and decent restaurants were definitely at a premium. Then there was the humidity, sure its only a few months, but still not enjoyable. But worst of all was just the location of it, I just thought why the hell would anyone want to relocate to Brisbane its just an average city with nothing particularily positive going for it, to get to the nice places you'd actually want to live and visit you've got an hour and a halfs drive out and up the coast.
Brisbane's nothing more than an average city, and there two a penny the world over, you dont relocate to Brisbane because its near the beaches, or near the ski resorts, or the culture, you dont relocate there to get into a booming employment area, or because its a stunning city or has 1st class nightlife, so as I said before I havent managed to find anything of it that sets it apart from hundreds of other cities and there are plenty of them that id choose over Brisbane.
But sometimes it's not about rose tinted glasses but more that as a tourist you only see one side of a city....when we first visited Perth we were amazed how much of a graveyard the city was at the weekend, there was just no-one around and very little open, just one big shopping mall. However when we came to live here we got to know the areas that had more life at the weekend (still think the city is a weekend graveyard but now never go near it at the weekends, unless I'm working).

Guess the bottom line is that once you live in a place it brings more balance to your perspective....
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

We might wake up on a Saturday morning and think, 'ah, today we fancy the trash of Surfers - lets go'! Or we might wake up and think, 'this weekend, we want to relax on pristine white sand beaches - Sunny coast here we come'! Or we might wake up and think, 'this weekend, lets make a road trip and visit NSW' - so off we go! Or we might wake up and think, ' lets do some mountainy type things, maybe get the bikes out and the walking boots on' - so off we go!

I can understand your point, I just think it's a bit uneducated, and I dont mean that in a personal way so sorry if it comes across as that, but so many people discount Perth without actually taking a look at what else is available in WA. After all, it's the biggest state in Australia and isnt just made up of one capital city.

There are numerous white sandy beaches and more "touristy" type places in Perth itself and dotted along the coastline. OK, so Busselton or Dunsborough probably arent nearly as tacky as Surfers. We have beaches about a 10 minute drive from our house where you can go and have the entire beach to yourself.

If you fancy walking there are loads of places down south with forest and coastal walks, there's even a tree height type walk thing through the forest which is meant to be excellent.

And if you get bored of the big, open, never ending, straight highways take the Caves Road down to Margaret River, it's twisty and turny and reminds me of a typical English country road.

Like I said, I dont mean this personally aimed at you, I just wish people would open their eyes a bit and realise that there is more to WA than Perth CBD.

OK, will get off my soapbox now
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Exactly. Areas like the Pommie Enclaves in the Northern Suburbs of Perth.
Yep i agree with you sausage face!!!! OP go to Brissy. Perth is full of English scum....and it's boring
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Pommy Enclave will be getting smaller as new Pommy Immigrants get priced out of the market.
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Yep i agree with you sausage face!!!! OP go to Brissy. Perth is full of English scum....and it's boring
You are partly right Knobhead.
It's full of English scum but is not boring, unlike you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.