Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Originally Posted by valeriy_troshin

I think, accepting and resettlement of refugees is unfair, and wrong policy.
We are all working hard to be accepted by Australia and what about them?
No, definitely they must stay in Africa. There a number of safe countries.
Government spend a lot of money to help them there, so that is not enough?
Are you having trouble getting into the country? If so. is this what prompts the comment?
Old Dec 24th 2006, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Doee this make any sense? I find this mind-boggling. Has the bureaucracy gone completely bonkers? His only 'crime' is he didn't produce enough vegetables. I guess, while they're at it, they might as well also blame him for the drought.

A Migration Review Tribunal decision last week gave Mr Lai just two weeks to leave the country because he wasn't meeting the department's strict criteria, including a minimum business turnover.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...006784,00.html
Old Dec 24th 2006, 5:23 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Doee this make any sense? I find this mind-boggling. Has the bureaucracy gone completely bonkers? His only 'crime' is he didn't produce enough vegetables. I guess, while they're at it, they might as well also blame him for the drought.

A Migration Review Tribunal decision last week gave Mr Lai just two weeks to leave the country because he wasn't meeting the department's strict criteria, including a minimum business turnover.

Shame it wasn't cheap Lettuce, it's a touchy subject in the Barbie.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:17 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

They are kicking out an English couple as well because their annual generated income (not turnover) from their business is $11,000 short of the target. These people gave up their homeland to come here and fufill their dream. They employ 7 aussies (who will be unemployed in a few weeks) and have never 'taken' from the australian public purse, yet contribute to it.

This is just madness, and I know from public response , most aussies feel the same. These people have done nothign wrong and are indeed growing their business...but no, not to be allowed says DIMIA
Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
They are kicking out an English couple as well because their annual generated income (not turnover) from their business is $11,000 short of the target. These people gave up their homeland to come here and fufill their dream. They employ 7 aussies (who will be unemployed in a few weeks) and have never 'taken' from the australian public purse, yet contribute to it.

This is just madness, and I know from public response , most aussies feel the same. These people have done nothign wrong and are indeed growing their business...but no, not to be allowed says DIMIA

They must need the room for refugees / Asylum seekers. I believe there is a housing shortage.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have lived in Canada since 1962. I came over at age 19.

Never have I heard of such incidents.

As a family we were supposed to go to Australia but, for some reason, we eventually picked Canada. Now to be perfectly honest this place is far from perfect but still it might be a spot to consider for those who haven't made the move.

(I spent 4 years in India in a school run by Australian Jesuits. So even as a teenager I got to find out a few things about OZ.)
Old Dec 25th 2006, 12:22 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
They must need the room for refugees / Asylum seekers. I believe there is a housing shortage.
Well there certainly is a housing shortage in perth and as a result some people, like single pensioners are not eating properly so they can pay the hiked up rental prices. Infact one OAP has had to move into a caravan at the back of his daughter and son-in-laws place cause he couldn't meet the rent anymore

Fortuantely some flattening out of perth real estate is starting to take place as people look to the east coast for more realistic prices.

But yeh, the humour in your reply reflects an underlying anger that more and more of us feel. I got no real problem with migration if it's managed right, but at the moment that just doesn't seem to be the case. And we had a similar incident with an English couple who had settled in perth a couple years back.

I can't understand why hardworking people who come here from a similiar culture/background, historically tied to us, and make a go of it with their families here, should be penalised!
Old Dec 25th 2006, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sloake
personally I blame James Cook....
Dont know why.....he circum navigated NZ and charted it in great detail. Only after much messing about, Cook then sailed up the east coast of Oz - got trapped in the barrier reef...and after he got out...turned right for Timor.
Returned back to the Uk and reported that Terra Australis did not exist!

On the other hand, the Dutch knew about what they called New Holland about 100 years before Cook got there!
Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

The facts are there are visa requirements and he failed his obligations.

The Sudanese are refugee's allowed/taken by the Oz government as part of a "western powers" humanitarian pact.
The "Refugee" status includes, as was reported in "The Tamwoth Papers", full citizenship from the minute their feet touched OZ.

I suppose it may be said that because Oz is now becoming a favoured destination by African "refugee's" , P*****d off brits and half the middle east, the Oz authourity needs to impose the controls as they are written.
Whatever the facts, it does seem that there are more reports of these visa cancellations or of long standing visa,s being cancelled & deportations.

However, I will remind you that in the UK the cry is that the government does NOT impose the law and the visa requirements etc,.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
The facts are there are visa requirements and he failed his obligations.

The Sudanese are refugee's allowed/taken by the Oz government as part of a "western powers" humanitarian pact.
The "Refugee" status includes, as was reported in "The Tamwoth Papers", full citizenship from the minute their feet touched OZ.

I suppose it may be said that because Oz is now becoming a favoured destination by African "refugee's" , P*****d off brits and half the middle east, the Oz authourity needs to impose the controls as they are written.
Whatever the facts, it does seem that there are more reports of these visa cancellations or of long standing visa,s being cancelled & deportations.

However, I will remind you that in the UK the cry is that the government does NOT impose the law and the visa requirements etc,.
Thanks for the info Vinny.

I just did some basic homework on displaced people and I now learn that the USA., Canada, and other Western Nations are taking in increasing numbers of refugees. From a humanitarian standpoint this of course is very commendable, however one must also consider the impact that these new arrivals have on the local populace.

Since these refugees no longer have a country, and thus can't be deported, one would at least hope that the law would be applied to them stringently if they indeed were to break the law.

What I am saying is that having been given safe haven this does not give them a free pass.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Thanks for the info Vinny.

I just did some basic homework on displaced people and I now learn that the USA., Canada, and other Western Nations are taking in increasing numbers of refugees. From a humanitarian standpoint this of course is very commendable, however one must also consider the impact that these new arrivals have on the local populace.
Since these refugees no longer have a country, and thus can't be deported, one would at least hope that the law would be applied to them stringently if they indeed were to break the law.

What I am saying is that having been given safe haven this does not give them a free pass.
Those politicians who agreed to a humanitarian support of refugee's policy, dont have to take anything into account...they will - with a straight face - tell you that all refugee's want to do is live in a safe environment and work to maintain their families.

And....as my mate Inspector Clouseau once said... The Larw es the Larw
( imagine a crap French accent!) and that applies to visa termsd and conditions.

Dont know about the others countries - but the Tamworth Sudanese have got a free pass - with benefits thrown in!
Old Dec 26th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just a thought: Those countries which went along with the UN convention on refugees, did their politicians even for a moment ever consider

1. the potential impact these refugees would have on the 'locals' and

2. that if these refugees ever committed crimes that they couldn't be sent back?
Old Dec 26th 2006, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

How bloody ironic. A country opens its doors to refugees for humanitarain puposes and this is the (some times) result. Sounds to me like the 'law of unintended consequences' is at work here?

"Most of the young people have grown up thinking that their role models are good fighters ... because (they've) grown up in a violent country," he said.

"When you're brought up in a war place, you've grown up experiencing all the war and you want to be a very good fighter.

"You need to know boxing, shooting, using the spear correctly, hunting - they're all the things you have to know ... for the survival way."

But Mr Manhiem, who heads the Sudanese Lost Boys Association of Australia support network, said it was important for his community to know they no longer needed those survival skills in a "safe" country such as Australia.

http://theaustralian.news.com.au/sto...rom=public_rss.

Last edited by montreal mike; Dec 26th 2006 at 7:37 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought: Those countries which went along with the UN convention on refugees, did their politicians even for a moment ever consider

1. the potential impact these refugees would have on the 'locals' and

2. that if these refugees ever committed crimes that they couldn't be sent back?
The UN convention on refugees was brought in after the second world war. At the time the world was a different place. I think the convention has now had it's day and as a minimun, needs to be redefined to suit todays socio-economic times.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NedKelly
The UN convention on refugees was brought in after the second world war. At the time the world was a different place. I think the convention has now had it's day and as a minimun, needs to be redefined to suit todays socio-economic times.
Yes but the only way I can see this happening is if the member countries collectively push for change. This isn't something of supreme importance to be decided by the UN security council which is preoccupied with N. Korea and Iran.

Realistically it is up to individual countries to decide what is in their own best (internal) interest. and that will only happen when the voters decide. But in my experience the average voter, and it doesn't matter where, is basically apathetic.