British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/black-refugees-not-welcome-tamworth-413734/)

Lord Pom Percy Dec 15th 2006 4:19 am

Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20932181-2,00.html

renth Dec 15th 2006 4:41 am

Re: Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy

Absolutely shocking, very "un-Austraian" :mad:

CHnJ Dec 15th 2006 4:51 am

I heard one councillor on the radio saying his motion to bring them in was defeated, but at least he could sleep in his bed knowing he'd tried to do the right thing. Good on 'im!

iPom Dec 15th 2006 5:23 am

'things such as their respect of women in their community'....

Obviously an expert on Sudanese sociology. How refreshing. :rolleyes:

Lord Pom Percy Dec 15th 2006 5:47 am

See the redneck hillbilly with the banjo and the chicken on his shoulder in the picture, is he the Mayor.. :eek:

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 15th 2006 5:56 am

Originally Posted by renth
Absolutely shocking, very "un-Austraian" :mad:

Un-Australian.. you're kidding, right?. You really trying to say that Australia doesn't have a downer on black skin? :rolleyes:

jad n rich Dec 15th 2006 5:56 am

See the redneck hillbilly with the banjo and the chicken on his shoulder in the picture, is he the Mayor or maybe the local KKK leader.. :eek:

And they say QLD is backwards :eek: what is he doing to that chicken :D

Vash the Stampede Dec 15th 2006 6:03 am

Tamworth is fully of rednecks, Slim Dusty clones and Aussies who wish they were American country/western singers. :rolleyes:

Having said that, the issue may be a little more complex than it first seems:

But Mr Treloar said local people and some "redneck elements" had aired concerns at a council meeting about 12 other Sudanese already living in the city, saying most had come before local courts for crimes ranging from dangerous driving to rape.
If that is true, I can appreciate the local residents' concern. Even if it's only a rumour, it will be enough to put most people off. If I heard that a bunch of white refugees with criminal records were coming to stay in my neighbourhood, I'd be pretty concerned too.

I'll need more evidence before concluding that race is the primary motivating factor in this case.

jad n rich Dec 15th 2006 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I'll need more evidence before concluding that race is the primary motivating factor in this case.

You been back on dem legal books again vash :D

seang Dec 15th 2006 7:06 am

Tamworth is fully of rednecks, Slim Dusty clones and Aussies who wish they were American country/western singers. :rolleyes:

But Mr Treloar said local people and some "redneck elements" had aired concerns at a council meeting about 12 other Sudanese already living in the city, saying most had come before local courts for crimes ranging from dangerous driving to rape.
If that is true, I can appreciate the local residents' concern. Even if it's only a rumour, it will be enough to put most people off. If I heard that a bunch of white refugees with criminal records were coming to stay in my neighbourhood, I'd be pretty concerned too.

I agree with Vash. Its easy to say its racist. However if they have been before the courts on such charges well then who would want them living near them. And any resident living there would have the right to protest (within the legal limits). Dont judge on colour but actions.

jon and alex Dec 15th 2006 7:40 am

At the end of the day, the mayor is there to represent the people of his town. If they dont want the refugees there its his job to block them. Thats my view anyway. Whats the point of electing someone who then ignores you?

BadgeIsBack Dec 15th 2006 10:06 am

Sounds like a John Grisham novel.

moneypenny20 Dec 15th 2006 10:35 am

"They will not take a direction from authorities, so we've got a fairly significant cultural problem," he said, adding that health services for Tamworth's 40,000 population were already stretched.

But if five redneck families move in the health services will be fine :confused: If there are only 12 Sudanese there at the moment in amongst 40,000 rednecks they are highly unlikely to cause a cultural problem are they :rolleyes:

OzTennis Dec 15th 2006 10:38 am

Perhaps they got the wrong Tamworth and should have tried Staffordshire where probably the dangerous driving and rape allegations would be overlooked in the interests of being PC and not discrimating against colour?

Yeah, I know, this is the way threads often go and no doubt OP will say I just posted it for information blah, blah, blah. Same bucket etc.

OzTennis :)

seang Dec 15th 2006 10:49 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Perhaps they got the wrong Tamworth and should have tried Staffordshire where probably the dangerous driving and rape allegations would be overlooked in the interests of being PC and not discrimating against colour?

you left out :
And they'd get a council flat !!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!