Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pensions for self employed

Pensions for self employed

Old Dec 26th 2006, 2:23 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pensions for self employed

Are there any pension plans for the self employed, and are they any good?

All ive read on this forum is about superannuation which gets paid by your employer.

I fully intend to be self employed so what do i do there?

Is it just a normal pension plan you pay into and is it worth it in the long run or at least versus investing in an extra property.

any help/advice appreciated

btw happy xmas
#
al
Old Dec 26th 2006, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all
Default Re: Pensions for self employed

Originally Posted by alkristensen

All ive read on this forum is about superannuation which gets paid by your employer.

Is it just a normal pension plan you pay into and is it worth it in the long run or at least versus investing in an extra property.

btw happy xmas
#
al
your better of being ltd drawing a wage and your company pays the superannuation and you pay less tax :scared:
Old Dec 26th 2006, 2:54 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wintersgills
your better of being ltd drawing a wage and your company pays the superannuation and you pay less tax :scared:
Thakyou. Do you need to be more than one person in the business to be classed as a ltd company?

thanks

al
Old Dec 26th 2006, 9:11 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Al,

I recommend having a chat with a financial planner - the Aussie superannuation fund environment is different to that which applies to UK pension arrangements. In short, the place where your Aussie super funds are invested can be the same, irrespective of whether or not you are self employed, or your employer is making contributions under the superannuation guarantee.

However, if you make the contributions you will be able to claim a tax deduction (up to a ceiling on the amount contributed).

Feel able to email me or to send me a PM if you'd like the name and number of a financial planner ...

Best regards.

btw happy xmas
#
al
Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:35 pm
Banned

thanks alot, it makes no sense to me yet.

it will when im there. i just need to know what to do at this end(uk)

do i need to keep up my national insurance payments here even when im in australia or still

do i have to tell anyone im leaving the country and will it affect anything(except mayber a tax rebate) if i dont

thanks again

alan (remember im a barber so use english please not jargon) lol
Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:57 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Alan,

If you can send me an email I can send some information about how I might advise you.

Best regards.

thanks alot, it makes no sense to me yet.

it will when im there. i just need to know what to do at this end(uk)

do i need to keep up my national insurance payments here even when im in australia or still

do i have to tell anyone im leaving the country and will it affect anything(except mayber a tax rebate) if i dont

thanks again

alan (remember im a barber so use english please not jargon) lol
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Alan,

If you can send me an email I can send some information about how I might advise you.

Best regards.
have done thanks
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:11 am
Migration Agent

You have mail!

Best regards.