Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Old Dec 22nd 2006, 7:31 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's cool. Have to admit, this economic 'obsession' - it's an observation that I think applies to most of Western society - as we are all so generally affluent 'poor' people can be labelled.

You are a arts student yes? The novel I am reading has a black professor rejecting notions of affirmation and rights for black people. He makes the point to his incensed 'liberal' colleagues that his rightwing politics are just as valid as theres- I was thinking of you lot when I read it. It really shakes up the liberal arts movement - makes a change!. Me, glad I did my bit at Uni I'm sick of all that stuff now. I'm much more of a pragmatist. I think that should be on all uni courses lol.
Hi,
Bach Social sciences, which is like a humanities/arts course. Labelling the poor as deserving /undeserving and then using that classification for political gain has its roots in the liberal political movement (nothing to do with Liberalism or OZ Liberal party).

Afirmative Action as it's called in the US has led to many problems in that often poorly skilled/qualified people can end up in jobs they otherwise wouldn't simply because the 'quota' must be met. It was a policy that meant well but was shortsighted and full of holes.

Yes I know what you mean, I had last semester off. I just needed some time out to myself.

have a great xmas and 2007 Badge
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Hi,
Bach Social sciences, which is like a humanities/arts course. Labelling the poor as deserving /undeserving and then using that classification for political gain has its roots in the liberal political movement (nothing to do with Liberalism or OZ Liberal party).

Afirmative Action as it's called in the US has led to many problems in that often poorly skilled/qualified people can end up in jobs they otherwise wouldn't simply because the 'quota' must be met. It was a policy that meant well but was shortsighted and full of holes.

Yes I know what you mean, I had last semester off. I just needed some time out to myself.

have a great xmas and 2007 Badge
Thanks Kiwi. I wanted to know whether your comment was yours, an academic, govt view, govt policy, commentator view etc.

Guess what - waiting in the carpark today - I couldn't get a park - first time in 3 years - I turned on the radio - just in time to hear a man say 'Economic rationalisation'.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 2:15 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Thanks Kiwi. I wanted to know whether your comment was yours, an academic, govt view, govt policy, commentator view etc.

Guess what - waiting in the carpark today - I couldn't get a park - first time in 3 years - I turned on the radio - just in time to hear a man say 'Economic rationalisation'.
My comment on liberalism (often referred to as 'small l liberalism') comes from having a politics unit I studied (all up 3 politics units in my degree).

The comment on AA comes from general knowledge, eg; hearing a discussion about it in the media from a visiting political scientist or similar from US.

Sounds like 'the universe' was trying to tell ya something
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Going back on track here is an interesting follow up article on the black refugees in Tamworth.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...290740841.html

It looks like they don't cause any more problems than other ethnic groups and people basically panicked over rumours that 16,000 refugees were coming to town.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Going back on track here is an interesting follow up article on the black refugees in Tamworth.

It looks like they don't cause any more problems than other ethnic groups and people basically panicked over rumours that 16,000 refugees were coming to town.
Wonder if we'll get a retraction of all that crap posted earlier.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like they don't cause any more problems than other ethnic groups............
It didn't say that.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by NedKelly
It didn't say that.
To help you I'll quote from page 2 of the article:

"While Treloar keeps running off at the mouth about resident Sudanese, the Oxley Local Area commander, Superintendent Tony Jefferson, gives the lie to the Mayor's words.

He says some have been charged with assault, traffic and domestic matters - but "they do not stand out over any other ethnic group in the community"."
Maybe you haven't read all the pages?

Last edited by Princess Leia; Dec 22nd 2006 at 11:47 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally
Wonder if we'll get a retraction of all that crap posted earlier.
Dont know about that, seems to me that if you say the Tamworth worthies were guilty of over reacting to hype and over reaction, I would say the same applies to a lot of the posts and posters who simlpy failed to understand a number of issues which became entwined in the thread as it progressed.
However, the comments and opinions were made, based on the info from Tamworth at the time and the posters perception of the situation according to that persons own values.
Yours, I suggest is based on the latest info and with hindsight.

What is becoming obvious is that while the one may debate the pros and cons, these Sudanese have been guilt of crimes accroding to the police commander. Any comments about refugee's past suffering is not being repaid with, not gratitude as such, but to comply with local values and honesty. So in the end, they did in fact help in some way to create the situation.
And I supose having a sign on your dooe saying "New Sudan" is going to convince the locals of their intention to integrate with local and aussie ways.

Do we define "crap" as :-

"I did not understand this", or

"I did not agree with this therefore it aint right", or

"better say something positive, dont want to be slagged off on the forum."

One mans crap is another mans interlectual debate.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:27 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
Dont know about that, seems to me that if you say the Tamworth worthies were guilty of over reacting to hype and over reaction, I would say the same applies to a lot of the posts and posters who simlpy failed to understand a number of issues which became entwined in the thread as it progressed.
However, the comments and opinions were made, based on the info from Tamworth at the time and the posters perception of the situation according to that persons own values.

What is becoming obvious is that while the one may debate the pros and cons, these Sudanese have been guilt of crimes accroding to the police commander. Any comments about refugee's past suffering is not being repaid with, not gratitude as such, but to comply with local values and honesty. So in the end, they did in fact help in some way to create the situation.
And I supose having a sign on your dooe saying "New Sudan" is going to convince the locals of their intention to integrate with local and aussie ways.

Do we define "crap" as :-

"I did not understand this", or

"I did not agree with this therefore it aint right", or

"better say something positive, dont want to be slagged off on the forum."

One mans crap is another mans interlectual debate.
Crap=kneejerk reaction without knowing the facts
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally
Crap=kneejerk reaction without knowing the facts

I rest my case
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:21 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rodders39
No it isn't...

Averages Out of every 1,000 people in London, on average:

* 597 are White British
* 120 are Asian
* 114 are White non-British
* 109 are Black
* 32 are Mixed race
* 11 are Chinese

Sure looks to me that the whitey's add up to 71.1%

How do White non-British form part of the indigenous population of London?
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:07 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
How do White non-British form part of the indigenous population of London?
You did not specify white 'british'... merely white...

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
...Exactly the same as a white man is in London...
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked at the article and the first thing that struck me is that these sudenese will never fit in over here if they are still sacrificing animals ( see photograph page one).

Keel
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

loulou_tropicana will become famous soon enoughloulou_tropicana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by seang
you left out :
And they'd get a council flat !!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!
and the rest ....... free health care, free education, dole money, child support, food vouchers probably etc etc etc
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 2:27 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
I've looked at the article and the first thing that struck me is that these sudenese will never fit in over here if they are still sacrificing animals ( see photograph page one).

Keel
isnt that what bbq is all about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.