Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

nessy family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Hi all, we have been watching everyday since started and after reading everyone thoughts I can say that we feel the same bout all the different familys.
As we are in the 'waiting game' I look forward to watching anything about Oz...yes I am obssessed now.....so what am I going to do without this programme!!!!argh!
I am even obssessed with this forum, I can honestly say I have read just about everything.
Tan x
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:25 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoyed todays programme, even if he is Man U fan

He seemed a really nice bloke, not sure whether his wife would get settled, maybe the editing but came across that she still wasnt sure.

Hope it all works out for them anyway.

Joex
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:27 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
Seemed like a nice grounded fella to us tbh...

btw to the poster a few up he used to play for stockport didn't heor did i miss something

Why is it classed as 'flashing cash' to go out and buy a nice ute etc - it's his money, he earnt it so what are peoples problems with this? Jealous? Hmm maybe...

i say fair play to them - wouldn't you do the same?

Sorry, just really annoys me that someone would judge them like that.

Good luck to em i say
exactly, just because he was an ex footballer he was flash. my friend who was the butcher in perth had a fancy V8 5 litre thingy on his driveway and nobody commented on that.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:34 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
exactly, just because he was an ex footballer he was flash. my friend who was the butcher in perth had a fancy V8 5 litre thingy on his driveway and nobody commented on that.
I did Mark loved it.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

Yes, must admit, thought mmm, nice motor (the butcher in perth that you know) wouldn't say no to one of those

One of my oh mates brother is a premier league player (boro) and a nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet - wish i could stay as level headed as him if i was earning 30k a week
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, must admit, thought mmm, nice motor (the butcher in perth that you know) wouldn't say no to one of those

One of my oh mates brother is a premier league player (boro) and a nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet - wish i could stay as level headed as him if i was earning 30k a week
my brothers best mate has played in goal for norwich, ipwich, millwall and coventry and until you saw his wife (very WAG ) you wouldn't realise he was loaded.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:08 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

nice to see some local people on the programme today.. dont blame them for getting out of rammy...its a lovely place, nice scenery but its been spoilt recently by gangs of kids and lots of vandalism. good look to the cookes
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Pippa1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seemed like a nice grounded fella to us tbh...

btw to the poster a few up he used to play for stockport didn't heor did i miss something

Why is it classed as 'flashing cash' to go out and buy a nice ute etc - it's his money, he earnt it so what are peoples problems with this? Jealous? Hmm maybe...

i say fair play to them - wouldn't you do the same?

Sorry, just really annoys me that someone would judge them like that.

Good luck to em i say
Hang on folks... I was defending him. Someone further up mentioned flashing cash first.

I totally agree if you are lucky enough to have a job (like being a footballer), where you can make a pile of money then great - fair play to the bloke!

It was a really nice update - mind you when we arrive in Oz, I doubt we would be spending too much of our house deposit on wheels. As much as I would love a new car etc.

Todays episode was good as well. So nice to see Sydney, albeit from a couples point of view.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in particular

Just getting it off my chest

I remember last year when they were in the UK many people on here were criticising them for having an x5 and a 911 on the drive

Anyway, good to see the family on todays doing so well
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in particular

Just getting it off my chest

I remember last year when they were in the UK many people on here were criticising them for having an x5 and a 911 on the drive

Anyway, good to see the family on todays doing so well
Indeed I'd agree with that. However had to laugh as he was talking about having a better work/life balance and that "it's not all about the money", as he was polishing his Porsche!

Good luck to them, the area they were looking to build their house looks absolutely fantastic.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Paul-N-Deb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Indeed I'd agree with that. However had to laugh as he was talking about having a better work/life balance and that "it's not all about the money", as he was polishing his Porsche!

Good luck to them, the area they were looking to build their house looks absolutely fantastic.
Hi all, we are new to this , so please bear with us.

We record and watch Wanted Down Under everyday and we cant get enough of it. However, it would be nice to see your everyday "joe" on the program for a change (no disrespect to any of the families on it as they are all probably very nice people). For example, you dont see many people on there with a house worth say £110,000 and very little equity on that property. Theres no way that they would be able to afford the cost of emmigrating and buy a £200,000 house, as seems to be the typical example on the show.

For years now we have both dreamt of emmigrating to Oz with our 2 children, however it is the financial aspect of it that scares us to death. How much money do you actually need to do it???? This is the information I would like to see on a program like this as Im sure many others would.

Does anybody else have an opinion on this??? OR maybe somebody has a realistic idea of how much it would actually cost.

Thanx
Paul-N-Deb

ps this forum has made some great reading for us this past few days.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:30 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul-N-Deb
Hi all, we are new to this , so please bear with us.

We record and watch Wanted Down Under everyday and we cant get enough of it. However, it would be nice to see your everyday "joe" on the program for a change (no disrespect to any of the families on it as they are all probably very nice people). For example, you dont see many people on there with a house worth say £110,000 and very little equity on that property. Theres no way that they would be able to afford the cost of emmigrating and buy a £200,000 house, as seems to be the typical example on the show.

For years now we have both dreamt of emmigrating to Oz with our 2 children, however it is the financial aspect of it that scares us to death. How much money do you actually need to do it???? This is the information I would like to see on a program like this as Im sure many others would.

Does anybody else have an opinion on this??? OR maybe somebody has a realistic idea of how much it would actually cost.

Thanx
Paul-N-Deb

ps this forum has made some great reading for us this past few days.
Hi there welcome to the site, theres a link here about how much poeple take over some take just a couple of grand (like what id be doing) some take lots obviously a bulk comes from the sale of their house, poeple have said as long as you have determination and a positive attidude to suceed you'll be ok.here the link http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409717
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Had to turn yesterdays WDU R off half way thought as that couple really got on my t**s.

I remembered them last year he was a drip and she whinged about everything and this year is just the same. I watched it til she started moaning about the wages. How she didn't like not knowing how much the husband was going to be bring home. IF YOU WANT MORE MONEY LUV GET A FULL TIME JOB. They had no kids to stay at home with and she was moaning about wanting more money.

Sorry if it got to the end and she had stopped whinging but I couldn't stomach her that long.

Also sorry to rant so early

Tina x
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Had to turn yesterdays WDU R off half way thought as that couple really got on my t**s.

I remembered them last year he was a drip and she whinged about everything and this year is just the same. I watched it til she started moaning about the wages. How she didn't like not knowing how much the husband was going to be bring home. IF YOU WANT MORE MONEY LUV GET A FULL TIME JOB. They had no kids to stay at home with and she was moaning about wanting more money.

Sorry if it got to the end and she had stopped whinging but I couldn't stomach her that long.

Tina x
I agree, I turned off, well actually the children I was caring for woke up from their naps and I had an excuse to turn off.

What a moany bunch of dafodils! She was only working part time for christs sake, get a full time job you lazy cow. Why didnt he want to use his highly skilled vocation to earn a regular and decent wage instead of being a slimy insurance sales man,yuck.

Oh and lets not forget how she NOW LIKES KIDS, what did she absolutly hate them before? or is it a case that those people are the only friends they have out there and the only reason they ared their friends because they cant find anyone else to talk to, I would have punched her for saying that, since hanging around with them they have now realised they like kids because they were hanging out with their kids, what sort of a wierdo doesnt like children???

Puts you off moving to Sydney knowing their there doesnt it.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:58 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandtina

Tina x
I feel every sympathy for them. If you watched all the program you would have seen that they were planning to have a family. This program never shows the full story and I could read between the lines that she was worried about the instability of his job and the lack of wage security as you would be if you were discussing what would happen if a baby was going to be part of the plan.

Watching the Cookes was like watching a dramatisation of my OH and myself moving to Australia in 2004. We too were excited, made friends (with expats)early and a couple of Australian ones as well, lived in a beautiful house in a beautiful area, were using our savings as we found it difficult to get secure work, were planning to have a family but were worried about doing so as to buy a house or even rent would mean both of us working fulltime and that would mean our lifestyle would be no better than our UK one. I really feel for them because we were still full of hope like they were in the first year. However it didn't get better for us. In fact it got worse.

Why also is having kids the only reason to work part time? They both wanted a change in lifestyle. He wanted to finally get out of his family business and she wanted to get out of the stress of working in prisons. Their compromise was obviously he had a complete career change and she worked part time. They moved to Australia to do this. Unfortunately as I keep on saying here it is easier to tweak your life in the UK than go overseas to do it.

I wish them well and hope it works out but I have actually been in their position and know it is very hard setting up in Australia and if it means living the same or worse lifestyle as your UK one then the stress is not worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.