Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

A really lovely family - great to see some real life put into the series....no coincidence that the best of the series is from last year...the BBC have ballsed this year and will be interesting to see if there is any point in making a revisited series next year.

Libby - can I borrow your daughter to take me shopping when we get to Adelaide That is my biggest worry - I know I should have a bit more to worry about but you know, if you dont look good you dont feel good.

COngrats and I wish you all the luck in the world. xxx
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

zanderman is an unknown quantity at this point

Your right I am only responding to a program but to be fair that is the only option I have and I was hardly scathing.

Not a glib comment, just an observation. Also not necessarily negative comments!

Just seemed like an odd choice given that it looked like the main reason you did all of this was to emigrate. I am sure you love RE (who doesnt!!) but given that your main reason was for emigration purposes why not choose something a little more mainstream that you might also like (again not a dig just a question!)

My comment about how long you might be their for was just based again on what I saw on the program and that it felt like you were all doing it for the sake of your husband and hanging on by a thread. Excuse me if I am wrong but prior to your message all I was doing was responding to a pragramme I saw this morning.

I am very glad it has all worked out and my comments werent meant to be unpleasant, just some observations is all.

Originally Posted by Libby1971
Thanks guys...

This time last year as already mentioned, some of the comments were not so positive.

I am very proud of my girls and it is lovely of you to say such warm and complimentary things about them.

And about the life we have got here. Life is good. At the time of filming we had moved into the house only a few days before, I had just observed the second anniversary of my father's death and feelings were raw. Now we are very much settled. Far from being a part time golfer, hubbie is a full time teacher while I am currently a lady that lunches!

zanderman, while I appreciate you are responding to the programme, you have no idea what we went through to fulfil our dream of living here, so a glib comment about choosing the most obscure subject etc is a little inappropriate. Did it ever actually occur to you that I might really enjoy this subject? I am well aware and have been for 10 years, before I began my degree that RS wasn't one of the mainstream Aussie school subjects...However, I liked the subject the university, taught it in the UK and really liked it. I have found a way to teach in this country, and to teach the subject I love. I have expanded my repertoire to teach (take a deep breath) Religious Studies, Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion, Moral Issues, Studies of Contemporary Society, Sociology, SOSE (History and Geography combined here), ICT and English. Three of these are since I have been in Oz - the others I taught in the UK and have taught all of them here.

Bob may have found Australia his spiritual home and yes, it has taken me and the girls longer to bond with Oz than him, but no, we won't be home in a year. It took us too damn long to get here and I am going to make sure I enjoy myself!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:01 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

In the middle of watching yesterday's! :curse: I am so embarrassed to think they come from the same county as me in fact the next door City - and someone please......that child!!! :curse:Emsx

ARGH...now the emotional blackmail from the Granny, who obviously is gonna pop her clogs!!Errrrrr

talk about get to the kids!
Well there was a surprise on the vote.....People please get real!
Rant over....thanks Ems x

Last edited by smiling4; Jan 23rd 2008 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Thanks guys...

This time last year as already mentioned, some of the comments were not so positive.

I am very proud of my girls and it is lovely of you to say such warm and complimentary things about them.

And about the life we have got here. Life is good. At the time of filming we had moved into the house only a few days before, I had just observed the second anniversary of my father's death and feelings were raw. Now we are very much settled. Far from being a part time golfer, hubbie is a full time teacher while I am currently a lady that lunches!

zanderman, while I appreciate you are responding to the programme, you have no idea what we went through to fulfil our dream of living here, so a glib comment about choosing the most obscure subject etc is a little inappropriate. Did it ever actually occur to you that I might really enjoy this subject? I am well aware and have been for 10 years, before I began my degree that RS wasn't one of the mainstream Aussie school subjects...However, I liked the subject the university, taught it in the UK and really liked it. I have found a way to teach in this country, and to teach the subject I love. I have expanded my repertoire to teach (take a deep breath) Religious Studies, Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion, Moral Issues, Studies of Contemporary Society, Sociology, SOSE (History and Geography combined here), ICT and English. Three of these are since I have been in Oz - the others I taught in the UK and have taught all of them here.

Bob may have found Australia his spiritual home and yes, it has taken me and the girls longer to bond with Oz than him, but no, we won't be home in a year. It took us too damn long to get here and I am going to make sure I enjoy myself!!
Libby

Can i just say that your two girls are amazing. to show that level of maturity at such a young age is a credit to you and your husband and todays show was the first one i enjoyed.

So happy things worked out for you and if my two kids turn out anything to be like yours i will be well happy.

All the best in the future and enjoy your dream
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys...

Hi Libby

watched the programme this am and all i can say is well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!! you went to queensland and ended up in adelaide, this just shows ur fight to have a better life for ur family. I could really related with close sister issue as i am very close to my sisters but my boy and his future come first and so sacrifices have to be made, thou i too will miss them dearly. Anyway i'm glad u settled in oz now, the gals are a credit to u. enjoy ur life down under and keep us all posted in life in general. you showed us all it can happen.

Diane xx
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Libby I thought your family were great today! Encouraging especially as I have a 14 year old daughter who is in the dont want to go stage! I thought your older daughters comments were fantastic and grounded and wish you and your family all the best x

Michelle
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Hi Libby

I cried the 1st time when I saw you daughter sitting at the table telling you and your OH how she felt about the move to Oz and had more tears when they replayed it on yesterday show. But what a lovely grown up girl you have there I'm sure your very pround of both girls.

It was nice to see your positive revisit show after all the moaning of most of the people this year.

Good luck and I may l see you in Adelaide if my visa ever gets granted.

Tina x
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:17 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I have just watched the Mathlin family from Newport who trialled Melbourne for a week - recorded on Sky either last week or the week before. They are mother Claire and her two (almost?) teenage sons. Such a positive, happy and close-knit family.

I don't visit this board but having been so impressed by their outlook, I am interested to know how they are getting on. Are they on here?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I have just watched the Mathlin family from Newport who trialled Melbourne for a week - recorded on Sky either last week or the week before. They are mother Claire and her two (almost?) teenage sons. Such a positive, happy and close-knit family.

I don't visit this board but having been so impressed by their outlook, I am interested to know how they are getting on. Are they on here?
Really good show today, nice couple and it showed just how long it can take to get a visa. Might stop everyone asking me have you got it yet.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys...

I had funnily just this lunchtime caught up and watched an episode of wanted down under on bbc iplayer.
It just so happened to be the episode featuring you and your family, and I then came on this forum and read this thread and discovered that you had contributed too.

All I want to say, is one thing you said really helped in my stressful current decision making on making a move to Adelaide, and that was that you have to make the best of your life. Which is so true.

I wish you and your family all the best!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:30 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Thanks guys...

Well spoken Libby i hope we as happy as your family when we move over!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:51 pm
drb
Forum Regular

drb is on a distinguished road

Was there a stringent chav test the BBC did before deciding what people to put on the show....
"If you can answer yes to either of the following questions then we will put you on Wanted Down Under..
1 - Do you have dodgy nashers?
2 - Does your wardrobe fullly consist of one England football shirt?"

No wonder the Aussies make it so hard for us to get in!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Libby,

I really enjoyed watching your update programme. You look so much more relaxed than in the original series. I know that you miss your family but well done on settling so well. Your girls are a credit to you and your husband.

Our main reason for moving is also to get the best possible life for our sons.

We are hoping to get to the Gold Coast in a couple of months time and are considering schools. We have seen Upper Coomera school on the web and thought we might check it out but on the programme it looked absolutely huge I wonder if you could let me know what your impression was when you spent the day there please?

Thanks,
Ren.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drb
Was there a stringent chav test the BBC did before deciding what people to put on the show....
"If you can answer yes to either of the following questions then we will put you on Wanted Down Under..
1 - Do you have dodgy nashers?
2 - Does your wardrobe fullly consist of one England football shirt?"

No wonder the Aussies make it so hard for us to get in!!
MY OH said exactly the same thing today. He reckons the footy T shirts are from the Wardrobe Department.

Also did you notice today, the family ran into their 'previously unseen' rental to find beer and wine left out for them. The guy picked up a bottle of beer and TWISTED OFF the cap. Now, if he had never been to Oz before and hadn't been told what to do, he would have automatically looked for a bottle opener. So much of what we see is set up for the cameras, that it is no wonder we all question what is going on.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

another good show today (the larners) - does anyone know if they have left for oz yet?

but someone please tell me what was going on with the estate agents hair - kept giggling to my self all day
a bald head with a strange fringe at the front - oh my
had to keep rewinding it to amuse myself

lisa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.