Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:29 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have stopped paying my license fee, does this count as a protest?
Excellent protest.
Hit em in da pocket where it hurts.

BTW me too
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:31 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Excellent protest.
Hit em in da pocket where it hurts.

BTW me too
I keep getting told that they can find a postage stamp at 45 miles so you have to pay...................but I am in year 5 of protest and so far so good.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished watching the warners update. Well, what a difference. This family actually wanted to move to Oz and had been working on getting the qualifications for a decade. They decided to move to an area where there was a higher likliehood of getting a job, they hadn't fallen for the 'dream' of a beach house with a pool but had bought a house which could be substantially improved in what looked like an established residential area.

If anyone is reading this from the BBC - what happened this year? Why didn't you pick more families like the Warners who genuinely wanted to make the move.

If you are reading this the Warner family, I was so pleased to see a normal family who could see good and bad and made sensible choices. Your two girls are a credit to you btw.

Hope to see you in Adelaide some time soon!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I keep getting told that they can find a postage stamp at 45 miles so you have to pay...................but I am in year 5 of protest and so far so good.
LOL. They tried to get us for not having a licence on an empty plot of land. It proves that the inspector vans don't exist. They claimed they had visited our home and had detected a signal from inside the house. I sent them a photo of a field. Funnily enough, it was the last we heard from them...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:50 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Just caught the end of this (I was out on my morning paddle with the dog)

Good, interesting update. Like you, I was impressed with their realistic attitude to the whole moving process & the implications....

and what great girls
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Barney99 will become famous soon enoughBarney99 will become famous soon enough

Can't agree with you more fly away,
watched every show avidly and with the exception of todays show and the one with the newly weds in Cairns, been a bit disappointed.
It seems that some of the people this time round haven't done much reaserch into job prospects, costs of living etc, it feels like some have just pulled a destination out of the hat and have completely unrealistic expectations.
There seems to be far fewer familys who are going to make the move after their trial week than last series - this is good news for us of course!
We would just love the chance to do a reccie, it would be SOOO usefull.
Liz
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

zanderman is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one that thought they would be back in the UK within a year??

Seems to me that the dad loved being there because he didnt have to do much but the others would probably have moved back had it not been for the dads impending broken heart.

Also whats the deal with doing hard training for years and years and picking the most obscure subject she could find to teach. Surely a bit of checking would have shown her a subject that was actually on the curriculum?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:24 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Just finished watching the warners update. Well, what a difference. This family actually wanted to move to Oz and had been working on getting the qualifications for a decade. They decided to move to an area where there was a higher likliehood of getting a job, they hadn't fallen for the 'dream' of a beach house with a pool but had bought a house which could be substantially improved in what looked like an established residential area.

If anyone is reading this from the BBC - what happened this year? Why didn't you pick more families like the Warners who genuinely wanted to make the move.

If you are reading this the Warner family, I was so pleased to see a normal family who could see good and bad and made sensible choices. Your two girls are a credit to you btw.

Hope to see you in Adelaide some time soon!
Like someone had already said this family got the same treatment as some of this years families and the same things were said "oh they dont want to go, moaning about state v private for their jobs, why did they send them, they havent done enough research" it went on and on eventually Libby had to come on to defend herself and a good job she did of it to

We had to remind people that Libby was actually a member.

Its amzing what difference a year makes you can never judge a family by the decisions the editor makes

I believe if I remember rightly Libby also had a more "normal" subject english i think but the programme last year edited that bit out. She has just got a job within her favoured area of teaching.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Libby1971 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys...

This time last year as already mentioned, some of the comments were not so positive.

I am very proud of my girls and it is lovely of you to say such warm and complimentary things about them.

And about the life we have got here. Life is good. At the time of filming we had moved into the house only a few days before, I had just observed the second anniversary of my father's death and feelings were raw. Now we are very much settled. Far from being a part time golfer, hubbie is a full time teacher while I am currently a lady that lunches!

zanderman, while I appreciate you are responding to the programme, you have no idea what we went through to fulfil our dream of living here, so a glib comment about choosing the most obscure subject etc is a little inappropriate. Did it ever actually occur to you that I might really enjoy this subject? I am well aware and have been for 10 years, before I began my degree that RS wasn't one of the mainstream Aussie school subjects...However, I liked the subject the university, taught it in the UK and really liked it. I have found a way to teach in this country, and to teach the subject I love. I have expanded my repertoire to teach (take a deep breath) Religious Studies, Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion, Moral Issues, Studies of Contemporary Society, Sociology, SOSE (History and Geography combined here), ICT and English. Three of these are since I have been in Oz - the others I taught in the UK and have taught all of them here.

Bob may have found Australia his spiritual home and yes, it has taken me and the girls longer to bond with Oz than him, but no, we won't be home in a year. It took us too damn long to get here and I am going to make sure I enjoy myself!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Libby1971
Thanks guys...

This time last year as already mentioned, some of the comments were not so positive.

I am very proud of my girls and it is lovely of you to say such warm and complimentary things about them.

And about the life we have got here. Life is good. At the time of filming we had moved into the house only a few days before, I had just observed the second anniversary of my father's death and feelings were raw. Now we are very much settled. Far from being a part time golfer, hubbie is a full time teacher while I am currently a lady that lunches!

zanderman, while I appreciate you are responding to the programme, you have no idea what we went through to fulfil our dream of living here, so a glib comment about choosing the most obscure subject etc is a little inappropriate. Did it ever actually occur to you that I might really enjoy this subject? I am well aware and have been for 10 years, before I began my degree that RS wasn't one of the mainstream Aussie school subjects...However, I liked the subject the university, taught it in the UK and really liked it. I have found a way to teach in this country, and to teach the subject I love. I have expanded my repertoire to teach (take a deep breath) Religious Studies, Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion, Moral Issues, Studies of Contemporary Society, Sociology, SOSE (History and Geography combined here), ICT and English. Three of these are since I have been in Oz - the others I taught in the UK and have taught all of them here.

Bob may have found Australia his spiritual home and yes, it has taken me and the girls longer to bond with Oz than him, but no, we won't be home in a year. It took us too damn long to get here and I am going to make sure I enjoy myself!!
Great post and great show. Congratulations on your new subjects. Hope you have many more happy years downunder. And like someone has already said your children are a credit too you.

Take care

Suexx
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:57 am
Just Joined

simonp is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally - after the dross of this years programmes, we get some of the real warmth and feeling that committed people give off. The BBC should watch their own "revisited" programmes and realise, with hindsite, what a mess they have made of this series!

I'm not sure of it was the selection of families, or the poor editing, but this series was not a patch on last years!

We are due to come to Adelaide in a few months, and I have a 15 year old daughter who is a little negative about our new life. I will be showing her todays program online this evening, to show her that although it will be hard initially, she will find that there is a better life than the one she currently has.

The Warner family have faced the challenge with the right attitute. Mum & Dad should be very proud of their daughters, they came over as lovely girls who have embraced the opportunity presented to them.

The best comment for me was over teenage shopping, because my daughter thinks that the shopping will not be good enough for her in Adelaide.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:59 am
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough

Here Here!!
You came across really well on the show today Libby! Very enjoyable viewing

It was great to see some of the area where we will be moving too soon, and I hope my 2 girls are as settled and happy as yours, they are lovely children

Can you or anyone else recommend any primary schools in that area please?
Regards
Susan
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

Only caught about 80% of the show in the end, I was suprised at the cost of the houses, I thought they would be more expensive, but then I suppose it was a year ago.

Have the prices in your area changed much Libby? and where abouts did you go, Brisbane suburbs?

Nice to see the reflection of people that actually did move there, I think they should do a programme following a family through the immigration process, and then settling in etc.

We'll volunteer!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Location: At the moment Lichfield, Staffs. Hopefully Adelaide June/July 08
Aussiebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Congratulations to the Warner family, you came across really well on todays show, nice to see someone happy and living their dreams. Wishing you all the luck in the world, we hope to join you sometime this year in Adelaide.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

simonp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Libby

Can you tell me how long your commute from Reynella to Woodforde is every day ?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.