Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Basics differences for me have been..

The weather in OZ is great, absolutely no comparison with the UK weather.
Food..lack of choice in OZ, better choice in UK, but meat is better quality in OZ.
Cars, too many 4x4's on the road in OZ.
Houses better built in UK.
TV better in UK.
Schooling better in UK.
Bills, about the same.
That's it. Basic differences. For me anyway.
Agree with them all - meat especially. UK is dire compared to Aus, which is a shame but the reality. Only Costco comes close in the UK. And small butchers.

Schooling - varying opinions on this. And a very subjective view will always be the case, since you cannot truly compare.

But thanks...
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot

If we could keep it to facts rather than opinions it would help. But I smile at some comments as well...

Cheers all...
I think they've done pretty bloody well at staying on topic for a BE thread.....we all need to smile
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Another difference - factual.

Australia is obsessed with speed limits and making money out of the motorist with ridiculous speed limits and dirty hidden speed traps at 2km over the limit.

Yet they have no annual check on cars in many places meaning, as others have said, dangerous cars can be on the roads for a long time.

Yet history and research has shown that driving in Australia is almost twice as likely to result in injury or an accident than the UK.

Thus showing that the whole 'speed kills' nonsense spouted serves only to try and blow something out of proportion. How about 'sh*t old un-cared for cars kill' - since they do. Or how about 'inappropriate use of speed kills' - far more accurate and relevant all over the world in developed countries.

One final thing - Australia tends to charge for everything. It may be small amounts but it all adds up.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:47 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with them all - meat especially. UK is dire compared to Aus, which is a shame but the reality. Only Costco comes close in the UK. And small butchers.

Schooling - varying opinions on this. And a very subjective view will always be the case, since you cannot truly compare.

But thanks...
costco beef is easily best in uk
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
costco beef is easily best in uk
Nonsense. My old butcher in Harpenden did the best beef in the UK. Lovely man as well
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well done chaps...

We got there in the end. Safin, thanks for kick starting it again.

My original post was clear in that I wanted to highlight the differences between the two countries and what I should have said was facts rather than opinion.

For example, it is a fact that Australia has better weather than the UK. It is also a fact that the higher rate of tax is 47% compared to 40%.

I make no judgement on whether it is better or not. Previous posts have indicated I'm a firm believer that the grass is not greener, just a different shade or colour.

I hate the idea that Australia is the 'greatest country in the world' (Borat has that sewn up). No country is the greatest but some people may feel that, because it depends on where they have come from, and what they do and everywhere has it's issues.

The thread was aimed at those people who are contemplating a move, and even though they could have been on holiday for months, living in a country is totally different to holidaying in a country. Thus I wanted to highlight the differences to assist people with background knowledge and experience.

If we could keep it to facts rather than opinions it would help. But I smile at some comments as well...

Cheers all...
I hate to play devils advocate, but to state that the weather here is "better" is actually a matter of opinion - if you prefer cold weather, then the weather in parts of Australia is definitely not better....for instance
Sorry, but its shows just how dificult it is to give just "facts" with nom "opinions"
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:04 am
ABCDiamond

Yet history and research has shown that driving in Australia is almost twice as likely to result in injury or an accident than the UK.
Only if you drive in the Northern Territory apparently ...

2005 Road Death Comparative Figures (latest I had located when I last looked)

From the above report: Road deaths per 100 million vehicle kilometres travelled:

0.6 Great Britain
0.7 Queensland, Australia
0.7 Victoria, Australia
0.8 New South Wales, Australia
0.8 Australian Capital Territory, Australia
0.8 Western Australia
1.0 France
1.0 South Australia
1.0 Tasmania, Australia
3.4 Northern Territory, Australia

Most states are pretty similar to the UK, (not much higher) but the NT figures throw Australia 'as a whole' right out.

Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, the tax you quoted isn't quite right. We don't pay 47% (and it's 45%) but thats because we aren't high income earners. Also you didn't mention the fact that you have NI in the UK at a minumum of 11% on wages of over 105 GBP per week and only 1.5% medicare here (unless you are exempt, see the ato site for more details)

There's also more tax bands here than the UK.

UK tax bands for 2008/9

2007-08
£ per year
2008-09
£ per year
Starting rate: 10%
£0-£2,230

Basic rate:22%
£2,231-£34,600
Basic rate: 20%*
£0-£34,800
Higher rate: 40%
Over £34, 600
Higher rate: 40%*
Over £34,800

* From 2008-09, there is a 10 per cent starting rate for savings income only, with a limit of £2,320. If an individual’s taxable non-savings income is above this limit then the 10 per cent starting rate for savings will not apply.] There are no changes to the 10 per cent dividend ordinary rate or the 32.5 per cent dividend upper rate.

Aus Tax bands for 2008/9

Taxable income
Tax on this income
$0 – $6,000
Nil
$6,001 – $34,000
15c for each $1 over $6,000
$34,001 – $80,000
$4,200 plus 30c for each $1 over $34,000
$80,001 – $180,000
$18,000 plus 40c for each $1 over $80,000
$180,001 and over
$58,000 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Burbage
Ok, ok.

It doesn't rain much on the Gold Coast and the dams are too small for the population, which is why they have water restrictions.
Gold Coast average rain: 1,228.9 mm per year.
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climat...=site&lc=40764

London receives about 650 mm per year.
http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/envir..._important.jsp

October 13th, 2008
WATER restrictions may again be held off with rain at the weekend expected to have kept the Hinze Dam level above the magic 95 per cent barrier.
http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
NO GRAVY GRANUALS??????? or Gravy thickener

http://www.greens.com.au/dir016/gree...hickenGranules
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wendy
Mmm, the tax you quoted isn't quite right.
The best way to compare Tax is to work out the tax paid on an average wage in each country.

The last time I did that, a few years ago, I think the factual figures showed less deductions in Australia.

And then, when tax return time came, and people claimed for overtime meals, sunscreen, sunglasses etc etc etc, Australians came out well ahead

Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The best way to compare Tax is to work out the tax paid on an average wage in each country.

The last time I did that, a few years ago, I think the factual figures showed less deductions in Australia.

And then, when tax return time came, and people claimed for overtime meals, sunscreen, sunglasses etc etc etc, Australians came out well ahead
sunglasses? what's this?! i must go get me some designer shades then if they're tax deductible! and some christian dior suncream.

Last edited by rabsody; Oct 30th 2008 at 10:30 am.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rabsody
sunglasses? what's this?! i must go get me some designer shades then if they're tax deductible! and some christian dior suncream.

If you work outside, you can claim for sunglasses etc
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
If you work outside, you can claim for sunglasses etc
drat!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

At the end of the day anyone can tell the 'facts' that prove what they want them to prove, but there's always something that is different for everyone which affects their 'facts' as opposed to the next persons 'facts'

I have done two tax returns now, and both times I have had a few thousand $$ back

I don't compare the UK to here, never have really. The UK is the YUK and Aus isn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.