Reload this Page >

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:14 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thread hijack statement....

Aussie women tend to be more physically able and more willing to do physical work than UK women.

wheres the door
It's a good life here init

Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Strangers talk to each other quite readily and with good intent in Aus.

Young people will move aside when you walk along the footpath in Aus.
Not where I live (inner city Sydney where there are many asians). Just this morning I had to reprimand an asian guy for trying to get on my lift before I had exited. Sadly it happens quite alot. Many of them have no manners.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Not where I live (inner city Sydney where there are many asians). Just this morning I had to reprimand an asian guy for trying to get on my lift before I had exited. Sadly it happens quite alot. Many of them have no manners.
As with any nation. Can we keep this thread race free please.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
As with any nation. Can we keep this thread race free please.
I wasn't racing anyone.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

The shoes are lovely here in Perth, much better than the UK just can't find anywhere to wear them except work

The cars are noisier than Uk cars

Potatoes are expensive
Bread is more expensive
Milk is more expensive
I paid 3.99 for a burpless cucumber only one there else i'd have suffered the burps
Chicken fillets seem tougher???
Veg's taste nicer
Meat is better
NO GRAVY GRANUALS??????? or Gravy thickener
6000000 varieties of sausage
Stamp duty on 2nd hand cars
Beer is more expensive but that could be agood thing as Uk was labelled Booze britain because of its cheap and easily accessiblity to Alcohol
Chocolate not as nice
When your bored pop out for a stroll instead of the shops
Kids playing out instead of being kept in because of the never ending rain
Not having youre rellies close by is a major difference and quite a sad one for us
It's just different, I quite like the supermarkets, remind me of the old days when Sainsburys & Tesco just sold food and not everything else
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:47 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, ok.

It doesn't rain much on the Gold Coast and the dams are too small for the population, which is why they have water restrictions.

The hot water tanks can be switched off. But most people don't. They do use a sort of storage power though. Took me ages to discover that the only way to switch mine off in my rental was to go outside and find the switchboard.

People keep sending each other cheerios on the radio, which presumably intends hello rather than good bye.

It's important tht people know that Brisbane is closer to Melbourne than it is to much of its own state centres. Isn't it?

More:

Reservoirs are known as dams in Australia. Dams are known as ... er.. dams.

You can catch about 500 different kinds of fish in the sea off Australia, off Britain you're lucky if you get one mackeral.

A car with a V12 engine and a shelf on the back is sexier than a Ferrari in Australia. (can anyone tell me why they don't tip up onto their noses?)

Almost every car in Britain would be considered a "girl's car" in Australia.

A 400km journey is considered "just popping out to the shops" in some parts of Australia.

Many more houses are built out of wood in Australia than in Britain.

Australia has more termites than Britain.

Australia seems to have one politician for every five citizens.

Australia has seven governments for 20 million people, Britain has one and a bit for 65 million people.

Bring your own snooker table.

Unless you know four hundred different ways to bet on a two horse race, you'll find it hard to fit into Australia.

The Melbourne Cup is a flat race.

Trotting is a horse race where the horses aren't allowed to run.

"Wogs" are not the same thing in Australia as they are in Britain.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bev1
Milk is more expensive
Just how much is Milk in Britain ?

NO GRAVY GRANUALS??????? or Gravy thickener
Bisto Gravy granules can be bought in most Supermarkets, as a product called "Sooo! Gravy", made by Bisto in the UK

Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Bisto Gravy granules can be bought in most Supermarkets, as a product called "Sooo! Gravy", made by Bisto in the UK
Safeway stopped carrying it in Melbourne... so I dont think you can get that down here anymore.... hopefully someone will correct me
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just how much is Milk in Britain ?

Thanks , only been here 8 weeks or maybe 9
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Thread hijack statement....

Aussie women tend to be more willing . . . .
Oh if only that were the case!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 5:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The hot water thing got me too - whaddya mean it's OUTSIDE? On the front street??? It was only when Burbage and Rudi both told me it was quite usual here, and we can leave them on all day and not need a mortgage to pay the bill, that I stopped looking for the switch in the house. I guess we all came via Asia where the house would probably blow up if you left the heater on for more than 15 mins so it's something we would pick up on.

I think people in the UK do chat to strangers - it's something I've always noticed on our annual trips. Maybe it's more the norm in the North. Then again, they talk to me in Sydney. Maybe it depends on the vibe one gives off?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 5:13 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks , only been here 8 weeks or maybe 9
You still have many things to find out about then

Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

Britains soccer players better than Australias...wouldnt be so confident on that..remember the last time the two met 3-1 to Australia...be nice to see them meet in the world cup 2010....

Originally Posted by Burbage
Britain (particularly in the north) is obsessed with global warming, hoping it would hurry up. Aussies are obsessed with global warming hoping they can stop it.

The computer equipment known as the router is not pronounced rooter in Australia.

All prefixes in Australia have one pronunciation.

Cheerio means hello.

At various intervals during rugby matches here they stop and give the ball to the other team.

Their cricketers are better than Britain's cricketers.

Britain's soccer players are better than Australia's soccer players.

Australians believe golf is a drinking game.

The reason the weather is so good on the Gold Coast is because it doesn't rain. That is why they have water restrictions.

Electrical systems have trip switches at the main board rather than fuses in the plugs.

Hot water tanks are left on all the time.

Brisbane is closer to Melbourne than it is to Cairns.

Cars don't rust as much in Australia because there is never any need to put salt on the roads.

Paintwork on many cars is destroyed by the sun. Something you'll never discover in Britain.

The ABC prefer to tell what the weather was like today rather than what the weather will be like tomorrow.

The weather tomorrow is usually the same as the weather today.

Almost any small animal can kill you in Australia.

Australians are obsessed with the Olympics.

Australia's only national sport is cricket.

"Cool" australians are never seen, they are floating out to sea waiting for a wave.

Australian lifesavers' hats are sillier than British lifesavers' hats.

Australia is different to Britain. Full stop.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:56 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the Third Test from India I'm not sure that Australia's cricketers are better than Britain's either.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Well done chaps...

We got there in the end. Safin, thanks for kick starting it again.

My original post was clear in that I wanted to highlight the differences between the two countries and what I should have said was facts rather than opinion.

For example, it is a fact that Australia has better weather than the UK. It is also a fact that the higher rate of tax is 47% compared to 40%.

I make no judgement on whether it is better or not. Previous posts have indicated I'm a firm believer that the grass is not greener, just a different shade or colour.

I hate the idea that Australia is the 'greatest country in the world' (Borat has that sewn up). No country is the greatest but some people may feel that, because it depends on where they have come from, and what they do and everywhere has it's issues.

The thread was aimed at those people who are contemplating a move, and even though they could have been on holiday for months, living in a country is totally different to holidaying in a country. Thus I wanted to highlight the differences to assist people with background knowledge and experience.

If we could keep it to facts rather than opinions it would help. But I smile at some comments as well...

Cheers all...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.