Reload this Page >

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:42 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Originally Posted by jancath2008
Oh that is so funny! Here in NSW we stop on green and go on red! We won't go into the roundabouts!
i drove all over france, on the wrong side of the road, and upon arriving back in dover was all over the shop, including the wrong way round a roundabout. my wife still goes on about it
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
i had to queue for it. tightfisted barstewards
think yourself lucky, i had to do a week down t'pit before i got mine!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

yeah! took me a while. i never get tooted here, whereas in the uk, within a millisecond of the light change, some deadhead would be doing the masterblaster
explains why only two or three cars get through a green light before it goes red then.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:25 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

To be serious - briefly - the traffic light thing is nation-wide.

As someone who grew up in Australia, I was quite surprised by the British light changing system!!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice idea Slipshot but the problem I see is that everything is relative to each person. I personally don't consider that there is necessarily a lack of choice. There are less products in the supermarket, for example but for me that's a positive. I don't need or want to see twenty different brands of multigrain bread and from what I read on here, that appears to be the type of 'choice' that most people mutter about when mentioning the hell hole that is Tescos.

Utilities? I have choice, have recently changed electricity supplier. Do I need to choose between 10 providers?

My life and the things I buy, need, etc etc is no different here from the UK except the weather and general lifestyle which cannot be listed as a difference. My life is different from yours.

It's an impossible list to create. I'm sure people will try though
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Nice idea Slipshot but the problem I see is that everything is relative to each person. I personally don't consider that there is necessarily a lack of choice. There are less products in the supermarket, for example but for me that's a positive. I don't need or want to see twenty different brands of multigrain bread and from what I read on here, that appears to be the type of 'choice' that most people mutter about when mentioning the hell hole that is Tescos.

Utilities? I have choice, have recently changed electricity supplier. Do I need to choose between 10 providers?

My life and the things I buy, need, etc etc is no different here from the UK except the weather and general lifestyle which cannot be listed as a difference. My life is different from yours.

It's an impossible list to create. I'm sure people will try though
my point. tesco to me is a corporate juggernaut aiming to obliterate any comers. any other view is naive frankly. support you local provider and boycott these parasites on humanity
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

support you local provider and boycott these parasites on humanity
ah but they don't sell spotted dick do they?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

my point. tesco to me is a corporate juggernaut aiming to obliterate any comers. any other view is naive frankly. support you local provider and boycott these parasites on humanity
Fully agree but calling it a hellhole works just as well for me Bloody awful shop, used to have panic attacks if I needed to do a big shop and go there. And what moron decided that it was a good idea to put a piggin cafe in the middle of a supermarket? I don't want to be there, let alone sit down and have a crap cup of coffee there. Bizarre.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rabsody
ah but they don't sell spotted dick do they?
if i wanted spotted dick i would..... anyway, no they don't

bread and butter pudding is more my style, mmmmmh
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Fully agree but calling it a hellhole works just as well for me Bloody awful shop, used to have panic attacks if I needed to do a big shop and go there. And what moron decided that it was a good idea to put a piggin cafe in the middle of a supermarket? I don't want to be there, let alone sit down and have a crap cup of coffee there. Bizarre.
they pretend to be your friend but just want to own you. just like my pimp
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

they pretend to be your friend but just want to own you. just like my pimp
and your drug dealer.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rabsody
and your drug dealer.
in my case dan murphys
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I think I'll leave it. Too many people who missed the point. Which was what I was originally afraid of, thus there's little point in trying.

I'll leave it for people to learn, smile and be shocked when living in Aus.

Slip
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:51 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
I'll leave it for people to learn, smile and be shocked when living in Aus.Slip
Ah but that's it you see. You're assuming everyone will be shocked [and maybe dissapointed] with the differences in Aus.

That's not the case for everyone who comes here
Old Oct 30th 2008, 12:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by slipshot
I think I'll leave it. Too many people who missed the point. Which was what I was originally afraid of, thus there's little point in trying.

I'll leave it for people to learn, smile and be shocked when living in Aus.

Slip
It's impossible to get any single differences that everyone will agree on.

I've learnt, smiled, been shocked, but am now happy

However, you should keep trying... don't give up on the idea..

Cars for example.
New cars are more often cheaper in Australia, but don't lose their value as fast as they do in the UK, meaning that used cars are often more expensive in Australia than they are in the UK.

The problem here is that a person with a Negative attitude to Australia will complain that used car prices are more expensive, whereas a person with a positive attitude will be happy that new cars are cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.