Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

I don't think its about putting a positive or negative on it just to highlight what is different. The migrant themselves can decide if its good or bad for them.

Good on you slipshot for trying to create a really useful and informative thread. Banter is fun and I am more than happy to participate but when someone is trying to be serious - and has tried several times - please take the banter to another thread and give them a fair go .....

Ok rant over.

3rd party car insurance is included with rego (road tax) and cover any driver in emergencies

Broadband speeds, allowances and prices are where the uk was a few years ago

Drink drive limit is lower

Phone calls have a flagfall (connection fee) as well as per 30 seconds charge

Shops do Layby (reserve it now pay it off monthly get it later)

Shops do rainchecks (if not in stock they'll order/restock and give it to you for todays prices)

Shops fell a rainforest or two weekly to junk mail you with this weeks bargains

Theres loads more adverts on tv, every few minutes sometimes. eg The Bill takes 90 mins not 60......

They call sweets lollies

They call crisps chips (and chips are hot chips)

You get pots and schooners not pints
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Safin
Phone calls have a flagfall (connection fee) as well as per 30 seconds charge
Phone calls cost up to about 30 cents flat fee for unlimited time (local calls are untimed), but are more often charged at 17.5 cents, flat fee, and some providers include them free with the monthly charge.

My connection gives me Free calls all over Australia, and to UK and America.

Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Basics differences for me have been..

The weather in OZ is great, absolutely no comparison with the UK weather.
Food..lack of choice in OZ, better choice in UK, but meat is better quality in OZ.
Cars, too many 4x4's on the road in OZ.
Houses better built in UK.
TV better in UK.
Schooling better in UK.
Bills, about the same.
That's it. Basic differences. For me anyway.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

yeees ... some include calls in monthly fee - or can do depending on which plan/provider but many don't. Ok local calls are fixed prices but std/international calls are normally billed per 30 secs.

My point was about flagfall which doesn't happen in the uk
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Basics differences for me have been..

The weather in OZ is great, absolutely no comparison with the UK weather.
Food..lack of choice in OZ, better choice in UK, but meat is better quality in OZ.
Cars, too many 4x4's on the road in OZ. Different conditions and uses here
Houses better built in UK. Different conditions here and have you seen some uk new builds????? shocking
TV better in UK. good excuse not to watch it here then
Schooling better in UK. [COLOR="Red"]Different goals I think - confidence and self esteem more emphasised in early years rather than academics/COLOR]
Bills, about the same. Elec cheaper but more used, gas bottled not piped where i am, telecommunication dearer, internet dearer, fuel cheaper, insurance cheaper

That's it. Basic differences. For me anyway.
Just my opinions too
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

3rd party car insurance is included with rego (road tax) and cover any driver in emergencies
Is that the case?

I thought it was third party medical insurance; for the medical bills of the people you've damaged rather than the mechanical bills of the cars you've damaged.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Ladies underwear and bed linen cheaper in the uk.
White goods cheaper in the uk.
Barbecues so much better than in the uk, but get stainless steel or they rust.
Very different sausages and chocolate to the uk, but meat quality better.
Fantastic fish- unless you only like fish chips and mushypeas/curry sauce.(no real equivalent here)
there is a shop that sells deep fried mars bars in Bondi for those that get the craving....
New cars cheaper especially now dealers are desperate to get rid of over ordered stock, but 2nd hand more expensive than the uk.
Petrol cheaper than uk.
Rental prices expensive, and hard to find, but similar to London prices, and it is a major city.
Weather generally warmer than UK.
Things grow faster- harvest your own veggies after only 4-6 weeks. (perhaps not in Tassie tho)
If you are female prepare not to be taken seriously-people will talk to the husband first when dealing with money, services etc.
If you are a telly addict prepare to sign up to Foxtel, or you will not know what to do of an evening!
Wine is similar price, but spirits much more expensive and less choice.
Coffee is much easier to get a decent cup and no problem with getting soy milk- in Sydney anyway.
It's easy to get fat eating all the delicious cakes when you go out for coffee.
It is easier to get slim as almost everyone power walks, jogs, swims or goes to the gym.
Round here people wax their armpits!!(and presumably anything else they fancy) They might have done it in the uk too, but they didn't talk about it.
If you do the school run, don't have the radio on, as there is some shocking language and crude conversations.
According to OH
Swearing in the office is compulsory.
The office coffee area fridge contains beer, wine, champagne and one tiny carton of milk.
People talk to you on trains
People are more prepared to help you, especially if you tell them you are going to make Australia you home.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
Is that the case?

I thought it was third party medical insurance; for the medical bills of the people you've damaged rather than the mechanical bills of the cars you've damaged.
Err ....I thought it meant any driver could legally drive your car and 3rd party cover would obviously cover people as you say but have to go check my docs now to find out about the property
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I
No MOT so you get cars that literally have not had any mechanical attention for years and years legally driving on the road.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

It's impossible to get diet tonic in bars so you can't get a gin and slim (though you can get it in the supermarkets).
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

"Cars, too many 4x4's on the road in OZ". Different conditions and uses here

Um, if you call driving to Woolies instead of driving to Tesco a different use, then yes.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

but they can still be done for being unroadworthy and they have to have a roadworthyness certificate to sell them
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

but they can still be done for being unroadworthy and they have to have a roadworthyness certificate to sell them
yes, but if you don't sell your car for, say, 20 years it doesn't legally have to be checked. and let's face it, who bothers paying out to get it checked unless you are forced to.

there are some awful bombs, V8 falcons and the like, driving about with 18 year olds behind the wheel. deathtrap much?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

I am surprised that my Son has to take 3 buses to get to school here.
x
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

too true but it doesn't mean they can't be prosecuted for the state of it should a cop decide to take the time to check it over

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.