Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia's terror alert level raised to high

As of a couple of days ago - Australia's terrorist alert level has been raised to high, meaning the risk of an attack is likely, but authorities say they do not know of a "specific" plot or target. It takes the level from medium, when an attack "could" happen, but stops short of the highest warning level of extreme, when an attack is "imminent".

Usual terrorism alert stuff, which many of us from the UK have grown up with - security checks tightened at government/public buildings, keep your eyes out for unattended bags, people at work having to wear ID cards all the time, don't leave your lunchbox unattended or someone will blow up your sandwiches in a controlled explosion (happened to a cop friend of mine back home!!).

Now today things are going further, G20 fever is starting 2 months out - Queensland Rail has done what the UK did many years back and announced that litter bins are to be removed from railway stations, or in some cases welded shut.

And this afternoon in Sydney patients and hospital staff were evacuated from parts of Prince of Wales Private Hospital, while police also went to Royal Prince Alfred hospital, Longueville Private hospital and Royal North Shore hospital.

============================

As one of my old adversaries on BE use to say - 'Please comment and discuss'
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As of a couple of days ago - Australia's terrorist alert level has been raised to high, meaning the risk of an attack is likely, but authorities say they do not know of a "specific" plot or target. It takes the level from medium, when an attack "could" happen, but stops short of the highest warning level of extreme, when an attack is "imminent".

Usual terrorism alert stuff, which many of us from the UK have grown up with - security checks tightened at government/public buildings, keep your eyes out for unattended bags, people at work having to wear ID cards all the time, don't leave your lunchbox unattended or someone will blow up your sandwiches in a controlled explosion (happened to a cop friend of mine back home!!).

Now today things are going further, G20 fever is starting 2 months out - Queensland Rail has done what the UK did many years back and announced that litter bins are to be removed from railway stations, or in some cases welded shut.

And this afternoon in Sydney patients and hospital staff were evacuated from parts of Prince of Wales Private Hospital, while police also went to Royal Prince Alfred hospital, Longueville Private hospital and Royal North Shore hospital.

============================

As one of my old adversaries on BE use to say - 'Please comment and discuss'
Not really where we want to be as a nation, is it Polly I obviously can't comment on the veracity of the information that led to the high alert. I've read a lot of news reports with typical polarised opinions - everything from 'the sky is falling' to accusations against the government of trying to take the spotlight off some of their more unpopular budget proposals.

I guess all we can do is be alert, not alarmed
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:06 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

If you're afraid of the terrorists, they win.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
That's an interesting point, commonwealth, and one that I mainly agree with. The rider is that unfortunately sometimes we do have to be cautious (which is level of fear I guess), such as when specific advice is given to avoid travelling to certain countries, or to stay away from large gatherings or places frequented by Westerners in particular countries.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:19 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
True. Its more about just being aware I guess, and taking a common sense approach.
Oh, and not abusing people whose jobs just got harder - poor security guy at work was telling us how some staff are abusing him just because he has to check their ID instead of just waving them through as he has been doing for years.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

True. Its more about just being aware I guess, and taking a common sense approach.
Oh, and not abusing people whose jobs just got harder - poor security guy at work was telling us how some staff are abusing him just because he has to check their ID instead of just waving them through as he has been doing for years.
I'm really aware, was at South Bank on the weekend and there are heaps of hot men in uniform patrolling. They were in a sort of blue camouflage outfit with an aussie flag on it, lovely they were.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:24 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Kim67
I'm really aware, was at South Bank on the weekend and there are heaps of hot men in uniform patrolling. They were in a sort of blue camouflage outfit with an aussie flag on it, lovely they were.
Love it, that's the spirit Kim
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:26 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Kim67
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:26 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see a more 'militarized' Australia - where every jaywalker is arrested
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Adandchloe is an unknown quantity at this point

Are people in Australia generally worried about terrorism?

My wife and I are looking to emigrate for a number of reasons but one of them is due to the fear of terrorism in the UK.

Last edited by Adandchloe; Sep 15th 2014 at 6:32 pm. Reason: Update
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

northlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:54 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Adandchloe

My wife and I are looking to emigrate for a number of reasons but one of them is due to the fear of terrorism in the UK.
My personal opinion - and it may well not be reflected by views of others on the forum - is that Australians in general have a rather naive approach. Never having been in the middle of events such as 9/11, or protracted campaigns such as those of the IRA, there is at times almost an air of being untouchable. Then when something occurs such as this week's change in terror threat level many go to the other extreme and become paranoid, mistrusting everyone and imaginging everyone who is not their best friend is out to get them. I acknowledge that this is a huge generalisation, but we've discussed it at work and I'm not alone in seeing the two extremes, certainly among the ordinary people in the street.

I think a lot of it is purely down to the fact that terrorism is (to this point) largely an offshore concern. Its the unknown, and so people really don't know how to react or what to look out for. Describing to my colleagues things from back home, like the removal of litter bins, the fear of pub bombings, the way a chill runs through me every time I use the tube and think of the 7/7 bombings, high levels of security in the police station I worked at - they are interested, and want to learn, but find it hard as it is such an alien area for them. Working in disaster management if anything does happen we are at the forefront, and yet most of the staff have no experience to draw on at all, only 2 or 3 of us from the UK have any kind of background.

The fact is though that these days terrorism is worldwide. Moving to another country will not stop it being there, the world today is too small a place.

=========================

Having said all that, I would really like to read opinions and views from the other guys on here - especially the Aussies. My views are coloured by it being the field I work in. Views and attitudes from outside the field genuinely interest me, and are also useful for us to incorporate into training at work.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adandchloe

Here is Brisbane, we have the G20 in a couple of months - military patrols have started in the exclusion zone, bins are being removed etc etc. I live not far from the exclusion zone and have friends in and on the border of the zone, they're all getting out of town for at least a week. I have to cross the exclusion zone to take the kids to school, we have been given one official public holiday, but I will be giving them an unofficial week off.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

My personal opinion - and it may well not be reflected by views of others on the forum - is that Australians in general have a rather naive approach. Never having been in the middle of events such as 9/11, or protracted campaigns such as those of the IRA, there is at times almost an air of being untouchable. Then when something occurs such as this week's change in terror threat level many go to the other extreme and become paranoid, mistrusting everyone and imaginging everyone who is not their best friend is out to get them. I acknowledge that this is a huge generalisation, but we've discussed it at work and I'm not alone in seeing the two extremes, certainly among the ordinary people in the street.

=========================
IMO you have summed it up to the tee. Spot on.

Whereas before it was look at us, it doesn't happen here, how smug are we.

Its changed, I have noticed an increase in the already not infrequent racist rants. Or the 'Australian way of life', or 'Un-Australian' comments, which always raise an eyebrow, how do they work out who is Australian?? Many Australians are third/fourth.., generation Chinese, Lebanese, Greek, Indian, Asian ........

Am I Australian?, I have a passport, citizenship, lived here since 2000. People still say where are you from? I admit I have not adopted the accent nor dress code but I always think this constant 'you'r not Australian comment' at the beginning of every new introduction would drive you crazy if you were a person of Colour.

There have been moments where Australian politicians are a Loose Cannon in International Situations requiring great diplomacy. The G20 in Brisbane worries me, its a big Situation to handle for Australia, let alone Brisbane, let alone at the Current time.

Probably the worse disaster will be the total collapse of traffic/transport, lots of fawning, the standard comments rolled out again, 'world class', and my favorite, How someone infamous for their Style, arrives and allegedly declares how they love Australan's fashion sense Or how Obama wishes to move to Australia. doesnt every celebrity who comes here

Will probably be fine, but interesting to watch, with some spectacuarly cringe worthy moments

Last edited by jad n rich; Sep 15th 2014 at 9:29 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally haven't come across anyone who's worried about it.

I'm certainly not. Still way more likely to be hurt crossing the road.

Just get on with life and hope the authorities responsible for keeping an eye on this stuff are doing their job.

I think the motivation of publicly raising the alert level is partially linked to justifying military action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.