Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

By contrast, your comments just come across as a sweeping contempt for Australia and Australians and mostly have little to do with the subject under discussion. By the way, there a loads of 'people of colour' who are Australians - in fact, they are the first Australians
Your comment shows you did not even read it. Third line, I already said people from many countries are Australian from generations back.

We have business dealings in the G20 firing line, and further business dealings 2 mins walk from where a Mosque is being built,much to the total horror of locals. So we are noticing plenty of reaction from the people we deal with daily. Hence my comments.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That's an interesting point, commonwealth, and one that I mainly agree with. The rider is that unfortunately sometimes we do have to be cautious (which is level of fear I guess), such as when specific advice is given to avoid travelling to certain countries, or to stay away from large gatherings or places frequented by Westerners in particular countries.
The issue being of course not to allow the authorities to under mine our individual freedoms in the name of combating terrorism.

The upsetting of such processes is the goal of terrorists and a definite win for those on that side.

Meanwhile fear is a handy tool for the government to rally the population around.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
I'd like to see a more 'militarized' Australia - where every jaywalker is arrested
Don't stop there. Incarcerate every non conformist. Show one and all Team Australia means business and plays hardball.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The issue being of course not to allow the authorities to under mine our individual freedoms in the name of combating terrorism.

The upsetting of such processes is the goal of terrorists and a definite win for those on that side.

Meanwhile fear is a handy tool for the government to rally the population around.
You make some very good points there, troubadour - food for thought for me.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Are people in Australia generally worried about terrorism?

My wife and I are looking to emigrate for a number of reasons but one of them is due to the fear of terrorism in the UK.
The fear is/has being created. Australia's stance on the matter overseas will indeed make the nation and likely nationals abroad more likely targets.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Are people in Australia generally worried about terrorism?

My wife and I are looking to emigrate for a number of reasons but one of them is due to the fear of terrorism in the UK.
I have absolutely zero fear of terrorism here in the UK and had the same level of fear when in Australia, the risk of being affected by terrorism is pretty much equal in either place.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddyo
I think the current loss of innocent lives, in particularly Muslim by the ISIS, is already enough to support action. Genocide is not good, it has happened in Germany, Vietnam, Iraq and others, at all times the world has stepped in to stop it. Why change now?
The fact is that ISIS is primarily made up of ex Iraq forces and has a very professional pedigree, those idiots on TV with the UK accents carrying out beheadings are just show ponies trying to destabilise the country they came from. I can guarentee one punch from a SAS would have them cowering in a corner crying their eyes out like a baby and claiming they were brainwashed.
As for the OP, I fully agree, its nothing unusual for a lot of UK expats. But I think G20 will be a nightmare. Not sure I agree with taking kids out of school for the whole week though just because you can't be arsed to find a different route, thats just lazy.
Actually not true. the West has proved selective in the stopping of genocide. Rwanda nothing was done. Cambodia. Marsh Arabs in Iraq. Kurds. In fact some interventions have greatly increased the loss of life, Vietnam being a prime example. The carpet bombing of Laos did little to increase lifespans neither Cambodia, in both countries rural folk die till this day from unexploded bombs.

Normally there are economic or geo political reasons for intervention. No unlikely to beat ISIS on the battle field as with all such conflicts the winning comes from winning the hearts and minds.

What is more likely is an on going struggle lasting generations with a heavy cost in finance and threats to global nationals and cities.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
I have absolutely zero fear of terrorism here in the UK and had the same level of fear when in Australia, the risk of being affected by terrorism is pretty much equal in either place.
Allows the government though to focus on international issues and create fear rather than failed local politics.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Grow up mate.
Well unless you have a viable alternative suggestion to prevent the slaughter, then it look like its war against IS. Of course, everyone is open to viable alternatives.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Do you like genocide?
Did you raise a voice in Rwanda against genocide?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We're prepared anyway. Local 'art' festival on our beach this week. This is one of the exhibits....
Attached Thumbnails Australia's terror alert level raised to high-2014-09-16-13.52.42.jpg  
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Well unless you have a viable alternative suggestion to prevent the slaughter, then it look like its war against IS. Of course, everyone is open to viable alternatives.
I wasn't saying that we shouldn't respond to this. I was making the point that killing might be an appropriate response but wishing for killing is, surely not desired.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I wasn't saying that we shouldn't respond to this. I was making the point that killing might be an appropriate response but wishing for killing is, surely not desired.
Absolutely. It's not even about responding. It's about helping those who are left, under threat from the evil.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. It's not even about responding. It's about helping those who are left, under threat from the evil.
Right but you responded to my response to Amazulu who claimed to wish for killing. Maybe he was kidding but I honestly don't know.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well obviously the solution comes from within. Strengthen the forces of opposition with equipment and training. But today's friends due to having a common enemy and be tomorrows enemy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.