Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's terror alert level raised to high

I really can't help but feel there is a political points game being played to cash in on some potential threat.

If there is more reason to be afraid, who do we hold responsible for that anyway? But to go to war to win a fight that won't end is not a sensible or morally correct approach as it will lead to much more loss of innocent lives. I'm not suggesting we let beheadings happen. I just don't know how to approve of war.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:17 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I think the current loss of innocent lives, in particularly Muslim by the ISIS, is already enough to support action. Genocide is not good, it has happened in Germany, Vietnam, Iraq and others, at all times the world has stepped in to stop it. Why change now?
The fact is that ISIS is primarily made up of ex Iraq forces and has a very professional pedigree, those idiots on TV with the UK accents carrying out beheadings are just show ponies trying to destabilise the country they came from. I can guarentee one punch from a SAS would have them cowering in a corner crying their eyes out like a baby and claiming they were brainwashed.
As for the OP, I fully agree, its nothing unusual for a lot of UK expats. But I think G20 will be a nightmare. Not sure I agree with taking kids out of school for the whole week though just because you can't be arsed to find a different route, thats just lazy.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Personally haven't come across anyone who's worried about it.

I'm certainly not. Still way more likely to be hurt crossing the road.

Just get on with life and hope the authorities responsible for keeping an eye on this stuff are doing their job.

I think the motivation of publicly raising the alert level is partially linked to justifying military action.
Agreed. I haven't heard anyone getting their knickers in a knot about non Australians or the way of life being affected. Whether that makes people naive or just '**** it life goes on' is debatable. Even working in London during the height of the IRA I was of the latter belief, I was most certainly not naive.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it because some rocket launchers have gone missing, believed buried by the father of the guy who is fighting for IS?

Or

Because there are a bunch of Australians who have or are fighting for IS and have returned or could returned as hardened Islamic scum?

If both of the above had any credit wouldn't it be fair to do something with the terror alert?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I think the current loss of innocent lives, in particularly Muslim by the ISIS, is already enough to support action. Genocide is not good, it has happened in Germany, Vietnam, Iraq and others, at all times the world has stepped in to stop it. Why change now?
Exactly
Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be interested to see how well the Super Hornets operate against ISIS. They are seriously capable platforms. Have they had the Growler update done yet? If so, the only threat they need to worry about is mechanical/electrical failure

Let's hope they do a whole like of killin'
Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'll be interested to see how well the Super Hornets operate against ISIS. They are seriously capable platforms. Have they had the Growler update done yet? If so, the only threat they need to worry about is mechanical/electrical failure

Let's hope they do a whole like of killin'
Easy to get excited about from your office chair, isn't it? It's sad that anyone would wish for killing.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Easy to get excited about from your office chair, isn't it? It's sad that anyone would wish for killing.
It gives me a boner my leftie friend
Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
IMO you have summed it up to the tee. Spot on.

Whereas before it was look at us, it doesn't happen here, how smug are we.

Its changed, I have noticed an increase in the already not infrequent racist rants. Or the 'Australian way of life', or 'Un-Australian' comments, which always raise an eyebrow, how do they work out who is Australian?? Many Australians are third/fourth.., generation Chinese, Lebanese, Greek, Indian, Asian ........

Am I Australian?, I have a passport, citizenship, lived here since 2000. People still say where are you from? I admit I have not adopted the accent nor dress code but I always think this constant 'you'r not Australian comment' at the beginning of every new introduction would drive you crazy if you were a person of Colour.

There have been moments where Australian politicians are a Loose Cannon in International Situations requiring great diplomacy. The G20 in Brisbane worries me, its a big Situation to handle for Australia, let alone Brisbane, let alone at the Current time.

Probably the worse disaster will be the total collapse of traffic/transport, lots of fawning, the standard comments rolled out again, 'world class', and my favorite, How someone infamous for their Style, arrives and allegedly declares how they love Australan's fashion sense Or how Obama wishes to move to Australia. doesnt every celebrity who comes here

Will probably be fine, but interesting to watch, with some spectacuarly cringe worthy moments
Polly's comments were thoughtful and, as an Aussie, I believe accurate.

By contrast, your comments just come across as a sweeping contempt for Australia and Australians and mostly have little to do with the subject under discussion. By the way, there a loads of 'people of colour' who are Australians - in fact, they are the first Australians
Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it is ... Iraqi civilian death toll passes 5,500 in wake of Isis offensive | World news | The Guardian
Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Explain why you posted that. Is it an attempt to justify our own desire for killing? Protection is a reason, wishing for killing is something different.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Are people in Australia generally worried about terrorism?

My wife and I are looking to emigrate for a number of reasons but one of them is due to the fear of terrorism in the UK.
Pains me to say this, but if the going really got tough with bombs going off frequently in Aus, or the UK, I think I'd rather be in the UK. You can be absoultely certain that the populace as a whole is more crisis capable in the UK than here. Combination of things, from the the stiff upper lip upbringing through the generations, then the blitz then the IRA campaigns against the British v the very broad easy life for most here.

Australias Muslim community is far more Arab based than the UK's, so this time around there is a real threat IMO. It would take a fair while to get the Aus populations robustness up to UK levels, in fact I dont think it would be possible in this day and age. I dont think they would fold Spanish style, but there would be a far greater outcry about Aus troops being involved. Thing is there arent many Western/European type populatlons that would cope as well as the British... Probably just the Russians and Germans.

Incidently I advised my 16yo son yesterday to avoid the closed in enviornments of Flinders st Station, Melbourne Central and the Bourke st Mall, something I've never had to do in my 3 decades plus here. We have easy Tram alternatives. I feel we are a real target as there are no Australian hostages and a Bomb going off here would not only be payback from any ISIS sympathises POV, but also impact/newsworthy here as in the UK and the US.

It's only going to be dodgy for the next 4 weeks IMO.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 16th 2014 at 4:09 am.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
It is obviously not good, and I broadly agree with intervention here, but it absolutely not the case that 'at all times the world steps in to stop it'

See: Sudan, Nigeria, Cambodia, Armenia, etc

If you were cynical you would say world powers only step in when it suits their own interests.....
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Explain why you posted that. Is it an attempt to justify our own desire for killing? Protection is a reason, wishing for killing is something different.
Do you like genocide?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
Do you like genocide?
Grow up mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.