Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've not taught history directly, but have taught citizenship and general studies and at times I have been pretty shocked at the level of understanding of the past that many of the kids have demonstrated.

In particular, I remember trying to explain why we had a 2 minutes silence and what the significance of it was. The kids really couldn't have been any less interested and obnoxious about the whole thing.

To be fair though, this was in the second worst school in Leicestershire, so maybe that had something to do with it...

S
I think this may be Leicestershire. I moved there and found the schooling dreadful. I took the kids out of good old Hyndleys and they went to Ashby grammar and Delisle. I had never met so many ignorant kids in my life. My sons were always involved with army cadets and the scouts, so remembrance day became important to them.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:11 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
I think this may be Leicestershire. I moved there and found the schooling dreadful. I took the kids out of good old Hyndleys and they went to Ashby grammar and Delisle. I had never met so many ignorant kids in my life. My sons were always involved with army cadets and the scouts, so remembrance day became important to them.

Leicestershire/Lecicester City is the poorest funded LEA in the country if memory serves me correctly...

S
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Leicestershire/Lecicester City is the poorest funded LEA in the country if memory serves me correctly...

S
Yes it is the most under funded we were always writing to the local mps. Fat lot of good it did.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 5:55 pm
Off to Goldy on my own!!!

sreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kapri
I can't believe that MD09 can come onto a site meant mainly for British people and spout the cr*p that he has.
The fact is that all our Grandads/ Great Grandads have had to go to war and they were on the same side.
MD09 - you should be ashamed of yourself. If you hate the British so much then stop posting on here.
Couldn't agree more,what a T**T!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:08 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sreeby
Couldn't agree more,what a T**T!!!!!!!!
Think he might have been granted his obvious wish for an extended leave of absence...
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:10 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Post by Vash:

>>We celebrate ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day; we have songs and poems dedicated to our fallen, and the wars in which we fought. Many Australians travel to Gallipoli for the annual memorial service. I've never heard of any Poms doing the same (though I do recall something about a few Pommy ex-soldiers visiting Flanders at some stage).<<

And don't forget that every evening at sundown, all RSL clubs have a short remembrance prayer - "At the going down of the sun, and in the morning...."

Very moving and done every single day.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
Post by Vash:

>>We celebrate ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day; we have songs and poems dedicated to our fallen, and the wars in which we fought. Many Australians travel to Gallipoli for the annual memorial service. I've never heard of any Poms doing the same (though I do recall something about a few Pommy ex-soldiers visiting Flanders at some stage).<<

And don't forget that every evening at sundown, all RSL clubs have a short remembrance prayer - "At the going down of the sun, and in the morning...."

Very moving and done every single day.
The RSL club is a great place for really remembering. They don't just do the prayer, they really remember and look after the men too. My father was in the British army and when my mother was really ill and had her leg amputated the RSL bought her a brand new wheel chair. How brilliant was that?