Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:18 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Originally Posted by yanH
Unfortunately I think you'll find that a lot of Brits have never heard of the Somme either! The teaching and awareness of history in the UK is a national disgrace.
Yes, this is true. The lack of knowledge about any kind of history that kids have today is unbelievable. I think this is where the lack of respect arises - they just have no idea or empathy with what other people went through to provide them with the freedoms and opportunities that they a so quick to squander...

S
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by cresta57
Bloody good post mate. I've read a lot about Gallipoli I have a keen interest in that whole theatre.

My own take on it briefly; the idea was an excellent concept, failing only by poor communication and lack of naval support. Had the Fleet Admiral provided that necessary support the war in Europe could/would have been shortened greatly.
An incisive synopsis.

Gallipoli wasn't chosen by accident; it was a highly sensitive area of incredible strategic value. It could have worked, and should have worked. And yet... the theory was correct, but the execution was a shambles.

Interesting fact: the US Marine Corps based their own principles of amphibious warfare upon the successes and failures of the Gallipoli campaign, since this was seen as a defining moment of amphibious doctrine.

So the legacy of Gallipoli lives on...
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Originally Posted by shiels
It seems i opened a bit of a can of worms here!! That was not my intention, i was just trying to find out what celebrations happened on these days as they fell on my childrens birthdays!!!!

I was aware about Anzac day just wondered how it was marked.

Sorry for any ill feeling caused............ C x
No ill feelings, mate. You didn't know, but now you do.

End of.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, this is true. The lack of knowledge about any kind of history that kids have today is unbelievable. I think this is where the lack of respect arises - they just have no idea or empathy with what other people went through to provide them with the freedoms and opportunities that they a so quick to squander...

S
Have any of you actually been involved in the teaching of history in UK schools?
From what you are saying here it sounds like you have no idea at all.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:13 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe that MD09 can come onto a site meant mainly for British people and spout the cr*p that he has.
The fact is that all our Grandads/ Great Grandads have had to go to war and they were on the same side.
MD09 - you should be ashamed of yourself. If you hate the British so much then stop posting on here.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

My kids have both learnt about the Somme etc and were taken over to France for a week as part of their school history lesson.

In fact, I also make it my business to teach them about their past and the people who lost their lives (whatever nationality). I have great respect for everyone who went through it or are still part of war.

Mind you, when I was at school all I learnt in history was about China and the Chinese revolution!

Mandy
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
My kids have both learnt about the Somme etc and were taken over to France for a week as part of their school history lesson.

In fact, I also make it my business to teach them about their past and the people who lost their lives (whatever nationality). I have great respect for everyone who went through it or are still part of war.
Glad to hear it,good for you - I have taken dozens of teenagers to northern France as well as teaching hundreds (or maybe even thousands!) of them about the Somme and the other horrors of the twentieth century. Without exception they have shown interest in and empathy for the men whose lives became entangled in these awful events. (Even bottom set studying war poetry! & this is in a less-than-average comprehensive school)
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:53 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I can't believe that MD09 can come onto a site meant mainly for British people and spout the cr*p that he has.
The fact is that all our Grandads/ Great Grandads have had to go to war and they were on the same side.
MD09 - you should be ashamed of yourself. If you hate the British so much then stop posting on here.
Couldn't agree more...
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean, I worked in a secondary school for a couple of years and worked with alot of kids with behavioural problems.

Alot of these kids actually got alot out of the trips and especially enjoyed talking the the old folk who had stories to tell, it made it more real to them I suppose. Reading it from a book isn't quite the same.

Mandy
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Please somebody tell me MD09 lives in Perth or at least no where near Queensland? or we may have to change our minds on where to live!

In reply to the poster about visiting the battlefields thousands of vets or thier famillies go to Normandy each year, but as to visiting the Somme, for it to be directly relevant the visitors would mostly be over 90!, and that would be the decendants!, and compared to Gallipoli, the beach hotels aren't up to much .

I think with regard to gallipoli, the ANZAC force were mainly if not wholely volounteers, and were completely unprepared for the lack of concern for casualties held by the army commanders of the time, and this is where the feeling that they were singled out as "cannon fodder" comes from, whereas the truth is it was not directed at them, all soldiers were equally expendable regardless of thier origin!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Originally Posted by windog
I think with regard to gallipoli, the ANZAC force were mainly if not wholely volounteers
All Australian soldiers who fought in WWI were volunteers; the government didn't introduce conscription until 1942.

Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
All Australian soldiers who fought in WWI were volunteers; the government didn't introduce conscription until 1942.

]
I thought that was the case but I wasn't 100% sure
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Reading it from a book isn't quite the same.
Absolutely, especially if you can't read! (Shouldn't take the piss really, but when you have a whole class of functionally illiterate 14 year olds you have to find some way for them to access the subject!)

Like the poster Vash.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:51 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Have any of you actually been involved in the teaching of history in UK schools?
From what you are saying here it sounds like you have no idea at all.
I've not taught history directly, but have taught citizenship and general studies and at times I have been pretty shocked at the level of understanding of the past that many of the kids have demonstrated.

In particular, I remember trying to explain why we had a 2 minutes silence and what the significance of it was. The kids really couldn't have been any less interested and obnoxious about the whole thing.

To be fair though, this was in the second worst school in Leicestershire, so maybe that had something to do with it...

S
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:38 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've not taught history directly, but have taught citizenship and general studies and at times I have been pretty shocked at the level of understanding of the past that many of the kids have demonstrated.

In particular, I remember trying to explain why we had a 2 minutes silence and what the significance of it was. The kids really couldn't have been any less interested and obnoxious about the whole thing.

To be fair though, this was in the second worst school in Leicestershire, so maybe that had something to do with it...

S
I think that you may have hit the nail on the head with that last point! In my opinion, the teaching of the world wars and other recent conflicts has improved signicantly. The use of contempory media and texts (eg war photographers, poets etc) and an approach that looks beyond military tactics and examines cultural, political and sociological elements of history has made historical events more meaningful and given children a greater understanding of why we have remembrance services, wear poppies, visit battlefields...

But if the kids don't want to learn about history / geography / maths etc they won't give a toss IMO about the subject. Esp. if it's not about gangstas and their hos, shooting enemies and going on spending sprees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.