Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Australia has nothing like the battle honours of the British Army- so the WW1 actions like Gallipoli would run deep in the military and society conscious.
You make a fair point. From my observations, I don't think that the Australian Military is held in the same esteem by the Australian public as the British Military is with the British public.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:34 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
haven't you got a husband or long term unemployed case worker to go argue with..
No neither
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:35 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Last I looked the english needed a VISA to come to oz. woot

The scottish live for that day too. One day it will come.
Don't think there was immigration controls in the days of the First Fleet.

And I'm sure the indigenious population of Australia lives for that day too. Whatever 'that day' is that you are referring to.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:36 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

One day I'm going to get around to reading the history.
Can you lend the book to MD09 once you've finished with it?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

The battle at gallipoli (Turkey) was when the English sent large amounts of Aussie and Kiwi troops onto gallipoli beach, knowing full well we would be slaughtered.

Which of course we were.

As aussies/kiwis our lives were seen as lesser, therefore we had to take the brunt of the turkish force to make way for the english troops who were watching safely tucked away on their ships.

ANZAC day is to remember those who perished. It also represents what being Australian is all about - standing by your mate.
Brainwashed from birth springs to mind. The problem is others like you believe this rubbish.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:38 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chels
Don't think there was immigration controls in the days of the First Fleet.

And I'm sure the indigenious population of Australia lives for that day too. Whatever 'that day' is that you are referring to.
My granny wasn't quite that old.

Good luck to the aboriginals, prefer to have a beer with them than any londoner.

Anyway, the only ppl I know who have a problem with the aborigines are english immigrants.
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The ANZACs were sent to fight, with the english knowing we were lambs being sent to the slaughter.
Dude, I have no axe to grind with you but I am a student of history. I have read nothing to verify what you say. If you can back this up with something from a respectable source then I will accept your point of view. Everything I have read points to the contrary.

It was a badly planned, badly executed operation and everyone suffered because of this.
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by blowfly
Brainwashed from birth springs to mind. The problem is others like you believe this rubbish.
People like you also deny the holocaust existed.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
any lengths to take a dig at the english
I think NB that its suffering from a giant chip on the shoulder.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You make a fair point. From my observations, I don't think that the Australian Military is held in the same esteem by the Australian public as the British Military is with the British public.
Australian society is far more pacifist or rather, less war-aware.

Thing is, the only time society is in 'sync' with the military is when everyone is involved - or touched by it. Hence why the Falklands vets and First Gulf vets (1991) felt so hard done by. Everyone forgot. This time around people seem to care.

WW1/2 touched everyone - there might have been slightly less impact on Australian society as there were no bombing raids etc.

Originally Posted by blowfly
I thnk there IS something in the good old Aussie legend of ANZAC and it would be wrong to detract from it, but you need to be careful as my old History teacher would say(!) MD09's 'old lambs to the slaughter' is overcooking it.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

People like you also deny the holocaust existed.
Rubbish< I would never deny such a thing, I knew some one from that time. He died recently, and a bigger person than you gungadin.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, the only ppl I know who have a problem with the aborigines are english immigrants.

And the Queensland Police service of course...

S
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
so very true, they just lovem up here!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Australian society is far more pacifist or rather, less war-aware.

Thing is, the only time society is in 'sync' with the military is when everyone is involved - or touched by it. Hence why the Falklands vets and First Gulf vets (1991) felt so hard done by. Everyone forgot. This time around people seem to care.

WW1/2 touched everyone - there might have been slightly less impact on Australian society as there were no bombing raids etc.

I thnk there IS something in the good old Aussie legend of ANZAC and it would be wrong to detract from it, but you need to be careful as my old History teacher would say(!) MD09's 'old lambs to the slaughter' is overcooking it.
All men and women involved in the wars should be remembered with respect regardless of their nationality.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Why do you always come out of the woodwork when there's a sniff of a disturbance but can't interact on a friendly basis with people.

You need to de-london yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.