Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:51 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Originally Posted by blowfly
Rubbish< I would never deny such a thing
I would hope not.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
Why do you always come out of the woodwork when there's a sniff of a disturbance but can't interact on a friendly basis with people.

You need to de-london yourself.
Just in the neighbourhood.

I'm not from London.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:53 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Just in the neighbourhood.

I'm not from London.
Ok, well de-Sydney then.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well de-Sydney then.
Why? What's wrong with people from Sydney?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:57 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well de-Sydney then.
And become more like who? You? I think his interaction skills are far greater than yours ever aspire to be.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Australian 'Holiday Days'...........

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Australian society is far more pacifist or rather, less war-aware.
I hate to disagree with you mate, but IMHO that is simply not true.

We suffered the terrible effects of two World Wars (including the destruction of Darwin by Japanese bombers) and several pointless conflicts (including Korea and Vietnam). I saw more war cenotaphs during three months in Adelaide (that was in 2003; just before I emigrated) than I've seen during three years in the UK.

We celebrate ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day; we have songs and poems dedicated to our fallen, and the wars in which we fought. Many Australians travel to Gallipoli for the annual memorial service. I've never heard of any Poms doing the same (though I do recall something about a few Pommy ex-soldiers visiting Flanders at some stage).

With all of this in mind, I don't see how anyone could say that we are "far more pacifist or rather, less war-aware", and I don't see how our view of our own army is an indication of our attitude to war (whether for better or worse).

I think you'll find that Australians view their army through pragmatic eyes - not pacifist spectacles. We realise that our armed forces are tiny by global standards, and we usually end serving as support troops for the larger nations (such as the UK and US). Military service is not generally regarded as a career option (as it is in the UK, which IMHO has the most disciplined and professional army in the world) and the Australian army is too young to be associated with centuries-old victories and historic victories.

Consequently, there is little sense in glamorising the Australian war machine.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, the "Poms betrayed us and deliberately used ANZACs as cannon fodder" nonsense is a relatively modern spin on Gallipoli (usually dragged out by the pro-republic propagandists) and one to which I do not subscribe. No-one with half a brain could possibly believe such a ludicrous conspiracy theory.

Gallipoli was lost as a result of inadequate preparation, incompetent leadership and slavish adherence to traditional methods; it was not lost due to any desire of the British to sacrifice the ANZACs in place of their own men. The very idea is laughable.

British soldiers fought like heroes and died in their thousands at Gallipoli. It is shameful to belittle their contribution by implying (or suggesting) that the ANZACs bore the brunt of the battle, or were deliberately pushed into the front line as human shields for their British allies. WWI was fought under the Clauswitzian doctrine of attrition; all men were seen as expendable, regardless of nationality.

Wikipedia has an accurate, dispassionate account of Gallipoli, which I would recommend to anyone. You can find it here.

On a related note, I never cease to be amazed by the number of Poms who've never heard of the ANZACs or Gallipoli. I had to explain it to my work colleagues last year; some of them weren't even aware that Australia had fought in the World Wars.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
On a related note, I never cease to be amazed by the number of Poms who've never heard of the ANZACs or Gallipoli. I had to explain it to my work colleagues last year; some of them weren't even aware that Australia had fought in the World Wars.
I bet a lot of pommie migrants don't know the Aussies were in 'Nam too.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:45 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by renth
That would not surprise me.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:03 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW...
Good post Vash...
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
far more important things to know Renth like where to purchase Aunt Bessies!!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:02 am
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

FWIW, the "Poms betrayed us and deliberately used ANZACs as cannon fodder" nonsense is a relatively modern spin on Gallipoli (usually dragged out by the pro-republic propagandists) and one to which I do not subscribe. No-one with half a brain could possibly believe such a ludicrous conspiracy theory.

Gallipoli was lost as a result of inadequate preparation, incompetent leadership and slavish adherence to traditional methods; it was not lost due to any desire of the British to sacrifice the ANZACs in place of their own men. The very idea is laughable.

British soldiers fought like heroes and died in their thousands at Gallipoli. It is shameful to belittle their contribution by implying (or suggesting) that the ANZACs bore the brunt of the battle, or were deliberately pushed into the front line as human shields for their British allies. WWI was fought under the Clauswitzian doctrine of attrition; all men were seen as expendable, regardless of nationality.

Wikipedia has an accurate, dispassionate account of Gallipoli, which I would recommend to anyone. You can find it here.

Nice post.

Regards to why Brits have never heard of Gallipoli, I guess there were bigger and bloodier battles closer to home like the Somme.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mctree
Nice post.

Regards to why Brits have never heard of Gallipoli, I guess there were bigger and bloodier battles closer to home like the Somme.
Unfortunately I think you'll find that a lot of Brits have never heard of the Somme either! The teaching and awareness of history in the UK is a national disgrace.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:09 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

It seems i opened a bit of a can of worms here!! That was not my intention, i was just trying to find out what celebrations happened on these days as they fell on my childrens birthdays!!!!

I was aware about Anzac day just wondered how it was marked.

Sorry for any ill feeling caused............ C x
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:17 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody good post mate. I've read a lot about Gallipoli I have a keen interest in that whole theatre.
My own take on it briefly; the idea was an excellent concept, failing only by poor communication and lack of naval support. Had the Fleet Admiral provided that necessary support the war in Europe could/would have been shortened greatly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.