Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice
Default Re: Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Which country are you talking about ? Obviously not Australia...

Number of movements ; Permanent Settler Arrivals in Australia
11,780 Jan-2007
11,040 Feb-2007
12,940 Mar-2007
11,180 Apr-2007
11,440 May-2007
13,670 Jun-2007
10,000 Jul-2007
12,820 Aug-2007
11,390 Sep-2007
10,840 Oct-2007
12,510 Nov-2007
12,040 Dec-2007
12,960 Jan-2008
13,420 Feb-2008
14,660 Mar-2008
12,500 Apr-2008
13,180 May-2008
13,050 Jun-2008
11,460 Jul-2008
15,460 Aug-2008
13,920 Sep-2008
13,700 Oct-2008
14,010 Nov-2008
13,200 Dec-2008
14,210 Jan-2009

Source: abs.gov.au 3401.0 Overseas Arrivals and Departures, Australia
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=2
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:53 pm
ABCDiamond

The number of people who applied for work visas fell by 30 per cent from September last year to January
Ahh, you are talking about working visas, not immigration.
Well yes, we all know that people worldwide are concerned about jobs everywhere at the moment.

It only really makes sense to apply for a temp working visa here, if you are pretty sure of having a job.

With unemployment rising, it does make sense to avoid having too many people coming here just to find work.

Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
FFS, most people will keep their jobs, most will just keep on living in their homes, dont forget those who do lose their jobs in OZ are going to get very good welfare benefits, this is not the USA, a family in OZ with 2 kids will pick up equal to the avg wage.
Is that right? That means we would keep the house easily. I assumed benefits was a couple of quid. That's the second good piece of news I've heard from you this week.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

With unemployment rising, it does make sense to avoid having too many people coming here just to find work.
i'm too lazy to explain why you're wrong. a macroeconomic read would do wonders for you.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Is that right? That means we would keep the house easily. I assumed benefits was a couple of quid. That's the second good piece of news I've heard from you this week.
I'm not sure what the unemployment benefit is with two kids under 16 in tow. Circa 1100 to 1200 a fortnight for a couple I think.

I wonder if anyone knows, it's the kids part that confuses the figure.

Currently unemployment is around 492 bucks a fortnight for a single person.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lastere
i'm too lazy to explain why you're wrong. a macroeconomic read would do wonders for you.
I am being very basic in this, which is the way most people look at it.

If Australia has fewer job vacancies, and unemployment is rising, how many normal people would pay out the fees and apply for Visa's so they can come here purely to work ?

Macroeconomics is a totally different thing, and I doubt very much if the average person, considering getting a working visa in Australia, is going to read up on macroeconomics before they apply for a visa.

My guess is they will just think something along the lines of; can I get a job there, or should I wait till things pick up ....

Although I passed my economics exams, a few decades ago, I don't use much of that in the real day to day world.
I find that 'living' in the real world has done wonders for me these days

Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm not sure what the unemployment benefit is with two kids under 16 in tow. Circa 1100 to 1200 a fortnight for a couple I think.

I wonder if anyone knows, it's the kids part that confuses the figure.

I once said that I would rather be hard up with a mortgage here than in London.
If these figures are reliable, then we would keep the house no problem at all.

I thought you'd get job seekers allowance - petrol money. I can't find much on Centrelink - maybe having a blond moment.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:36 am
ABCDiamond

I once said that I would rather be hard up with a mortgage here than in London.
If these figures are reliable, then we would keep the house no problem at all.

I thought you'd get job seekers allowance - petrol money. I can't find much on Centrelink - maybe having a blond moment.
The Centrelink site isn't very clear on some aspects.

But as well as the basic rate of NewStart Allowance (unemployment benefit), you also get:
  • Rent Assistance
  • Telephone Allowance
  • Pharmaceutical Allowance
  • Work for the Dole Supplement
  • Health Care Card
  • Remote Area Allowance (if aplicable)
Plus of course FTB part and B. With no income, that could be quite high.

The base rate of Newstart is $847 pf for a couple with child.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...tart_rates.htm

Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You have to be 60 years old to get that $492 , otherwise it's only $449.30 for a single person.

Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
He works on the joint venture that is responsible for the maintenance of the platforms on the northwest shelf. My husband says it is very much who you know in getting work offshore. The last platform that was installed by Woodside up on the northwest shelf is an unmanned platform so no work there and the project they currently have on the go isn't likely to be installed and in production in for at least another 18 months.

I know it kind of bursts your bubble, and that isnt my intention. Just a stark word of warning from someone who is aware of how difficult the industry is just now.
I work more in the construction side of things offshore,not production so i am more or less looking to know if any mods are being done or any news jobs being done up there etc now and in the near future,i work on live working rigs and ones that are not up and running yet,and i suppose your right its who you know to get a job offshore,i have worked offshore for 17yrs now so might have a good chance there,its know who deals with these jobs
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brian.w
I work more in the construction side of things offshore,not production so i am more or less looking to know if any mods are being done or any news jobs being done up there etc now and in the near future,i work on live working rigs and ones that are not up and running yet,and i suppose your right its who you know to get a job offshore,i have worked offshore for 17yrs now so might have a good chance there,its know who deals with these jobs
How's the car mate?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

How's the car mate?
How's tha car???
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:20 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Unless you are a migrant with less than two years worth of PR in which case you will get nowt
Correct.

also discovered the price of food has soared over the last few weeks. Aunty in Sydney said the cost of beans in her local market had gone up from $3 a kilo upto $15 a kilo,and broccoli has doubled and when a 500g pat of butter has rose from $1-99 to $2-63 within the space of a single week, accompanied by a rise in the price of many other everyday grocery items this is a fact not a prediction. So what happens when you cant afford to feed your familly.

Its a myth that prices come down in a recession, house prices yes....food NO. The price is factored around things like weather and rising production costs. Food prices are NOT recession proof just ask anyone in the UK about the price of veggies. Rice has soared by 80 per cent to £1.62 per kilo and the price of frozen peas has gone up by 73 per cent to £1.64 per kilo.and that is is in the last 6 months, this is fact not predictions from some dull man sat in front of a computer.

So how do you cope when you cant cope with rising costs. People in UK have cut back on every day items,parents go hungry just to feed their children, the shelves now have budget products at the front of aisle and branded goods at the rear.Everybody the world over has the basic needs in life: food, water, air, shelter, and depending on environment, clothing. Beware its not easy living from day to day with no income.

Last edited by dinner-dash; Mar 7th 2009 at 8:52 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
Correct.

also discovered the price of food has soared over the last few weeks. Aunty in Sydney said the cost of beans in her local market had gone up from $3 a kilo upto $15 a kilo,and broccoli has doubled and when a 500g pat of butter has rose from $1-99 to $2-63 within the space of a single week, accompanied by a rise in the price of many other everyday grocery items this is a fact not a prediction. So what happens when you cant afford to feed your familly.

Its a myth that prices come down in a recession, house prices yes....food NO. The price is factored around things like weather and rising production costs. Food prices are NOT recession proof just ask anyone in the UK about the price of veggies. Rice has soared by 80 per cent to £1.62 per kilo and the price of frozen peas has gone up by 73 per cent to £1.64 per kilo.and that is is in the last 6 months, this is fact not predictions from some dull man sat in front of a computer.

So how do you cope when you cant cope with rising costs. People in UK have cut back on every day items,parents go hungry just to feed their children, the shelves now have budget products at the front of aisle and branded goods at the rear.Everybody the world over has the basic needs in life: food, water, air, shelter, and depending on environment, clothing. Beware its not easy living from day to day with no income.
Some foods have gone up in price, others have come down.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:53 am
ABCDiamond

when a 500g pat of butter has rose from $1-99 to $2-63 within the space of a single week, <..>. So what happens when you cant afford to feed your familly.
Buy margarine ?

beans in her local market had gone up from $3 a kilo upto $15 a kilo
Better start eating steak instead of beans, it's half the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.