Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:58 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Having been in Australia now for 4 weeks and settled in after 2 weeks I decided to look for employment (painter & decorator) thinking and taking advice from locals it was a booming industry and work is abundant. How little did I know they were wrong. I set up a few email alerts when still in UK (seek and the like), sure enough to the end of 2008 i was notified on a daily basis of maybe 7/8/9 vacancies on the Gold coast while around me in UK jobs were vanishing at an alarming rate. Everyone in the construction industry here are telling me that they are finishing off contracts and dont intend to start any fresh orders.

My question is........... after witnessing the speed and alarming destruction of the UK economy/job market caused by the recession does anyone else who's fresh in Australia notice the early signs of Australia being dealt the same hammer blow.

I notice on the news yesterday The Australian economy has shrunk for the first time in eight years and is sliding to recession as it faces a global threat that has belted other industrialised nations. Economists say the full impact of the global downturn will hit Australia in 2009, although the effects aren't expected to be as extreme because of the fiscal and monetary policy stimulus already in the system.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/a...aspx?id=308889

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/a...aspx?id=308712

This is exacly what Gordon Brown said August 2008....how wrong was he, and now Australian government are repeating his concerns.

As the Clash sang " Should I go or should I stay now "

I have seen what happened 1st hand in the UK and I really dont want my family to witness it again.

Last edited by dinner-dash; Mar 5th 2009 at 12:02 am.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:20 am
Just Joined

UsLot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

We were here September 07 - April 08 and most trades were booming! Totally different this time round. OH managed to secure a job within the first week, but after just a month he's now been laid off - Must of rang around twenty odd firms and all are saying the same thing....No work!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UsLot
We were here September 07 - April 08 and most trades were booming! Totally different this time round. OH managed to secure a job within the first week, but after just a month he's now been laid off - Must of rang around twenty odd firms and all are saying the same thing....No work!
Yes it is - it is all proportionate but giving people a grand to spend on what they want which is mainly paying off debts or buying a plasma or LCD TV is not going to sort this economy. It's going to happen and indeed already is...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by slipshot
Yes it is - it is all proportionate but giving people a grand to spend on what they want which is mainly paying off debts or buying a plasma or LCD TV is not going to sort this economy. It's going to happen and indeed already is...
Totally agree - that cash injection will not help anyone!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
Having been in Australia now for 4 weeks and settled in after 2 weeks I decided to look for employment (painter & decorator) thinking and taking advice from locals it was a booming industry and work is abundant. How little did I know they were wrong. I set up a few email alerts when still in UK (seek and the like), sure enough to the end of 2008 i was notified on a daily basis of maybe 7/8/9 vacancies on the Gold coast while around me in UK jobs were vanishing at an alarming rate. Everyone in the construction industry here are telling me that they are finishing off contracts and dont intend to start any fresh orders.

My question is........... after witnessing the speed and alarming destruction of the UK economy/job market caused by the recession does anyone else who's fresh in Australia notice the early signs of Australia being dealt the same hammer blow.

I notice on the news yesterday The Australian economy has shrunk for the first time in eight years and is sliding to recession as it faces a global threat that has belted other industrialised nations. Economists say the full impact of the global downturn will hit Australia in 2009, although the effects aren't expected to be as extreme because of the fiscal and monetary policy stimulus already in the system.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/a...aspx?id=308889

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/a...aspx?id=308712

This is exacly what Gordon Brown said August 2008....how wrong was he, and now Australian government are repeating his concerns.

As the Clash sang " Should I go or should I stay now "

I have seen what happened 1st hand in the UK and I really dont want my family to witness it again.
we arrived August 08 - the multi national recruitment company i work for have made more than 20 redundancies and not replaced maybe another 10 leavers in melbourne and my hubby who is carpenter / plumber / electrician just got told his hourly rate as sub contractor being cut by $30 an hour - so we are off home in 2 weeks - we would rather be unemployed or hard up in a familiar place than here!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Shock drop in building approvals

Approvals for new homes dropped in January, marking seven consecutive months of declines, as consumers shrugged off rate cuts and increased grants.

New home building approvals dipped 3.7%

The market forecast was for building approvals to gain 1% in January, according to Bloomberg.

The results of surveys from manufacturing & services sectors in Aus are also truly abysmal just now.

Australia's service sector slumps in February

SYDNEY, March 4 (Reuters) - Activity in Australia's service sector slumped anew in February reaching record lows as firms reported big falls in sales, new orders and employment, an industry survey showed on Wednesday.

Australia Feb manufacturing slumps to record depths

SYDNEY, March 2 (Reuters) - Australian manufacturing activity slumped to record lows in February with weakness in new orders and output leading to a particularly sharp fall in employment intentions, an industry survey showed on Monday.

The only difference between Aus and UK economies at the moment seems to be about 3 months!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Australian home-building approvals unexpectedly fell in January for a seventh month, adding to signs the economy is already in a recession.

but how deep does it go...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:58 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone.

5 phone calls today, all the same "sorry mate, got nothing"

Yep, its going to be another bad day.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Emiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of light

If i could turn back the clock i would about 7 weeks back..i would have kept my quite secure job and stayed.Have called and visited about 60 companies and nothing..they are all letting people go..Can afford to stay here for another 2 months then i think we have to go home..me the wife and 2 children..
But to what!!!!!!!!!!
My advise would be if you have a job in the UK, stay there...
Thats my opinion..
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emiric
If i could turn back the clock i would about 7 weeks back..i would have kept my quite secure job and stayed.Have called and visited about 60 companies and nothing..they are all letting people go..Can afford to stay here for another 2 months then i think we have to go home..me the wife and 2 children..
But to what!!!!!!!!!!
My advise would be if you have a job in the UK, stay there...
Thats my opinion..

Jeez thats tough, hope things work out, and people take real note of your post here.

I think he advice to stay with any stable job, is probably the best advice for anyone at present.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Australian home-building approvals unexpectedly fell in January for a seventh month, adding to signs the economy is already in a recession.

but how deep does it go...
That story carried on to say:

"But the slight increase in approvals to build private sector houses -- the first positive reading since April 2008 – provided a positive note amid the weakness. ...

And the latest figures on business investment, private sector credit and home sales show signs of life in the economy.

Sales of newly built homes climbed 8.3 percent in January from December as lower interest rates and the increased first-home buyer’s grant encouraged more people back into the property market
"

From that I would assume that the approvals for units has dropped, whilst house approvals are increasing again.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:48 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

Hang in there mate, same goes for most of us tradies, I arrived 6 months ago and have not had a sniff of work, done a few days with a pom for free just to get some oz experience. I have done all the networking known to man, I visit sites once a week ring companies every other day. I have put ads in the local paper and on local community boards asking for anything been doing this for 3 months and have had no response.

While I have time I am in the process of obtaining my licence (plastering) just because it gives me something to do, people say it's a waste of money but it's better to be prepared for the future and make a go of living in Australia rather than say this country stinks and I'm off home, at least with a licence you can try and create your own work and maybe make a better life for yourself once work does eventually pick up again....
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

I think it is gonna impact on the different states differently, whilst some states rely heavily on manufacturing etc, other states rely on mineral exports and others food exports etc. Tassie doesn't really have any manufacturing to speak of so is fairing quite well at the moment, we are relying on our forestry and mining industries to keep us going, if they go down hill so will our jobs. Already there have been major job losses within the mining industry, all hopes are on the forestry and agriculture to keep us afloat.

Times are tough that's for sure, but I reckon it's gonna get tougher, it's been said already, but if you're in a job, stay there and lets hope it weathers the storm.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clairemoir
and my hubby who is carpenter / plumber / electrician just got told his hourly rate as sub contractor being cut by $30 an hour -!
..cut by $30 an hour ! How much is the hourly rate for a carpenter/plumber etc in Melbourne?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

I think OZ is heading down the same slippery path as the U.K, The U.K put 2 stimulus packages in last year in to there economy and that did bugger all, The food prices went up, same as here just now...So personally i don't see how they can avoid it and maybe be worse here...Thats just my opinion...

Suzanne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.