Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Originally Posted by brian.w
heading for perth as thats the place i think there is most work onshore and offshore,i fly with bristows to come out here but i would not have any idea if there is less flights going out to the north sea,i suppose i might be one of the lucky ones with still a job offshore.
My husband works for Woodside. If you have a half decent job in the UK just now, I wouldn't be abandoning it to come to Perth.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

DogSheba is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
Having been in Australia now for 4 weeks and settled in after 2 weeks I decided to look for employment (painter & decorator) thinking and taking advice from locals it was a booming industry and work is abundant. How little did I know they were wrong. I set up a few email alerts when still in UK (seek and the like), sure enough to the end of 2008 i was notified on a daily basis of maybe 7/8/9 vacancies on the Gold coast while around me in UK jobs were vanishing at an alarming rate. Everyone in the construction industry here are telling me that they are finishing off contracts and dont intend to start any fresh orders.

My question is........... after witnessing the speed and alarming destruction of the UK economy/job market caused by the recession does anyone else who's fresh in Australia notice the early signs of Australia being dealt the same hammer blow.

I notice on the news yesterday The Australian economy has shrunk for the first time in eight years and is sliding to recession as it faces a global threat that has belted other industrialised nations. Economists say the full impact of the global downturn will hit Australia in 2009, although the effects aren't expected to be as extreme because of the fiscal and monetary policy stimulus already in the system.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/a...aspx?id=308889

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/a...aspx?id=308712

This is exacly what Gordon Brown said August 2008....how wrong was he, and now Australian government are repeating his concerns.

As the Clash sang " Should I go or should I stay now "

I have seen what happened 1st hand in the UK and I really dont want my family to witness it again.
No. Australia's depression will be much worse than the UK's as it has higher to fall fall from. My prediction is that Australian housing prices will contract by at least an "additional" 30% in 2009. furthermore, unemployment will increase to 9% nationally by the end of 2009.

Don't like my prediction? Then listen to the experts and see where it gets you.....
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
My husband works for Woodside. If you have a half decent job in the UK just now, I wouldn't be abandoning it to come to Perth.
what does your husband do with woodside?

I plan on going to perth in about a years time hoping things are ok by then,would be great if i could go sooner though but worry about how the work is at this time.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DogSheba
No. Australia's depression will be much worse than the UK's as it has higher to fall fall from. My prediction is that Australian housing prices will contract by at least an "additional" 30% in 2009. furthermore, unemployment will increase to 9% nationally by the end of 2009.

Don't like my prediction? Then listen to the experts and see where it gets you.....
Australia sits on trillions of dollars worth of resources and is capable of feeding most of South East Asia, as soon as other countries start to recover they have to buy from Australia. The farming and food industries are not going to stop.

There are not many countries better placed in the world to go it alone than Aus.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 6th 2009 at 8:20 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

Agreed. Places like Adelaide will have 20% unemployment, sydney and melbourne a bit less. Houseprices will fall by 50% at least ( yes, 50% MORE ).
You guys just listen to the 'experts'.... trust them : After all , they are experts right ? Were they ever wrong when they said Australia would never see a recession ?
Were they ever wrong when they said houseprices always go up ?
Were they ever wrong when they ....

Were they ever right ?....
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:22 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Any experts in particular? I think you can get experts that predict across the whole spectrum from doomsday to something quite positive.

I think the old saying about plan for the worst and hope for the best has a lot going for it as reality tends to sit somewhere in the middle.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Doomsday sayers ( this but even more so the other thread ) have you tried St Johns wort.

FFS, most people will keep their jobs, most will just keep on living in their homes, dont forget those who do lose their jobs in OZ are going to get very good welfare benefits, this is not the USA, a family in OZ with 2 kids will pick up equal to the avg wage.

Nobody is going to starve and die or sell their home and go live under a gum tree Yep we will all tighten our belts ( lardy aussies it will do them good anyway ) Get a grip.

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 6th 2009 at 9:34 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:33 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
...as reality tends to sit somewhere in the middle.
Doesn't it just... unemployment will rise and property prices will drop but not by the cataclysmic amounts some are suggesting...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich

FFS, most people will keep their jobs, most will just keep on living in their homes, dont forget those who do lose their jobs in OZ are going to get very good welfare benefits, this is not the USA, a family in OZ with 2 kids will pick up equal to the avg wage.
Unless you are a migrant with less than two years worth of PR in which case you will get nowt
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
what does your husband do with woodside?

I plan on going to perth in about a years time hoping things are ok by then,would be great if i could go sooner though but worry about how the work is at this time.
He works on the joint venture that is responsible for the maintenance of the platforms on the northwest shelf. My husband says it is very much who you know in getting work offshore. The last platform that was installed by Woodside up on the northwest shelf is an unmanned platform so no work there and the project they currently have on the go isn't likely to be installed and in production in for at least another 18 months.

I know it kind of bursts your bubble, and that isnt my intention. Just a stark word of warning from someone who is aware of how difficult the industry is just now.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scamp1976
Agreed. Places like Adelaide will have 20% unemployment, sydney and melbourne a bit less. Houseprices will fall by 50% at least ( yes, 50% MORE ).
You guys just listen to the 'experts'.... trust them : After all , they are experts right ? Were they ever wrong when they said Australia would never see a recession ?
Were they ever wrong when they said houseprices always go up ?
Were they ever wrong when they ....

Were they ever right ?....
Which experts actually said that Australia would never see a recession

Which experts actually said that houseprices always go up

I am curious...

I know they have said that we 'might' avoid a recession, and if we began spending again, we actually just might.

I also know that they have said that property always comes back up again, as everyone knows that it goes in cycles.
Inflation alone will always cause property to rise eventually long term. Unless of course inflation can be reversed.

Houseprices will fall by 50% at least ( yes, 50% MORE ). ?

I have a few bob set aside for when houses in Sydney go below $140,000 then

Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:15 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

Hello love...

Agreed. I am on the minset that anyone doing okay where they are at the moment should just hunker down and see where everything is sitting in a year's time.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hello love...

Agreed. I am on the minset that anyone doing okay where they are at the moment should just hunker down and see where everything is sitting in a year's time.
Nice to see you pal, hope you hunkydory.

I know for sure I wouldn't be coming now.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Australia sits on trillions of dollars worth of resources and is capable of feeding most of South East Asia, as soon as other countries start to recover they have to buy from Australia. The farming and food industries are not going to stop.

There are not many countries better placed in the world to go it alone than Aus.
sure they have, but not at any price.

i know proud union members don't believe in free markets and capitalism but those pesky communists do. so here are some numbers for you:

for sale office building inventory in beijing is 16 years.
one more time for the cheap seats: 16 years!!!!
(those shiny buildings made of steel and glass you know)

your inept govt's own estimation is that iron ore and coal prices at current level (30% and 40% down yoy) take 4% off gdp. just revenues. knock-on effect due to lost jobs/demand another 1.5%. minimum. that's your recession for you. 9% is usually when govt falls.

food is cheaper in asia, so not sure who's feeding who. farming and food industries? after 13 years of drought? hope springs eternal.

australia is the only country that still has the short ban in effect for banks. must be healthy banks. and the only reason they didn't go down yet is because, again the govt. or 'we the people' is guaranteeing their foreign debt. so you're paying the banks to charge you the highest fees and interest rates in the developed world. good deal to be a banker. but hedge funds have a lot of patience.

immigration was down 30% last fall. the sucker money who propped up the economy is drying up. and the govt is doing its best to make it even worse!

you ain't seen nothing yet. union and welfare collectors are not going to put this sucker back up soon.

oh, almost forgot. trillions in resources? it took $19b for china to get a seat at the rio table. and you know what? they're going to sell for 19b b/c they got no option. that's your resources for you.

Last edited by lastere; Mar 6th 2009 at 11:33 pm. Reason: lazy
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lastere
immigration was down 30% last fall.
Which country are you talking about ? Obviously not Australia...

Number of movements ; Permanent Settler Arrivals in Australia
11,780 Jan-2007
11,040 Feb-2007
12,940 Mar-2007
11,180 Apr-2007
11,440 May-2007
13,670 Jun-2007
10,000 Jul-2007
12,820 Aug-2007
11,390 Sep-2007
10,840 Oct-2007
12,510 Nov-2007
12,040 Dec-2007
12,960 Jan-2008
13,420 Feb-2008
14,660 Mar-2008
12,500 Apr-2008
13,180 May-2008
13,050 Jun-2008
11,460 Jul-2008
15,460 Aug-2008
13,920 Sep-2008
13,700 Oct-2008
14,010 Nov-2008
13,200 Dec-2008
14,210 Jan-2009

Source: abs.gov.au 3401.0 Overseas Arrivals and Departures, Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.