Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:41 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Is Australia going to suffer the ways of UK ?

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
..cut by $30 an hour ! How much is the hourly rate for a carpenter/plumber etc in Melbourne?
I have just had a quote for something, with no materials needed, from a plumber.

He said two hours work $300, but maybe up to $500 if he needed to add some extra piping.

So a $30ph cut would be $240 for the job

PS: Any licenced plumbers in my area .......... ?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Weird isnt it ABCD, I've talked to Carpenters that wont work for anything less than 80 bucks per hour.

Yet when one is a new Migrant, the wages seem to drop to 35 bucks per hour.

Why cant I find a new migrant carpenter, or any other migrant tradesmen for that matter and meet them half way.

Gotta be money in a specialsed agency for them.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Weird isnt it ABCD, I've talked to Carpenters that wont work for anything less than 80 bucks per hour.

Yet when one is a new Migrant, the wages seem to drop to 35 bucks per hour.

Why cant I find a new migrant carpenter, or any other migrant tradesmen for that matter and meet them half way.

Gotta be money in a specialsed agency for them.
The only migrant tradespeople that I know are all charging normal Australian rates

I did look into setting up an agency type thing that you mentioned, as I did something similar back in the 80's, but I ended up getting the feeling it wouldn't work, due to people getting higher pay once they settled in.

Maybe now the boom is possibly over, it may be feasible, but till when ?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:55 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emiric
If i could turn back the clock i would about 7 weeks back..i would have kept my quite secure job and stayed.Have called and visited about 60 companies and nothing..they are all letting people go..Can afford to stay here for another 2 months then i think we have to go home..me the wife and 2 children..
But to what!!!!!!!!!!
My advise would be if you have a job in the UK, stay there...
Thats my opinion..
Ditto emiric

I telephoned my 9th possible employer today, he is about to lay off his complete workforce next friday and they dont even know it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:08 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I have just had a quote for something, with no materials needed, from a plumber.

He said two hours work $300, but maybe up to $500 if he needed to add some extra piping.

So a $30ph cut would be $240 for the job

PS: Any licenced plumbers in my area .......... ?
There's a difference though... he's quoting for a complete job, not just for wages as though he was subbing from someone...

I can tell you that Sydney's Northern Beaches is as expensive as it gets in Aus for living costs and yet the wages are pretty well nothing like that... A really really good subby will get $60-$70 per hour, Mr average $45... employed will be tops $35 ph plus ute/van, etc., phone, super, uniform, blah blah...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

what about the oil and gas industry in w.a. as say a pipe fitter is that still busy and busy to come or are they on the run down as well,would hate to say move over there,give up my job here and cant find anything over there,just wondered how it was there on the oil and gas industry if there are many contracts ongoing and ones to come,anywhere i can find this info on a monthly basis etc
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Just started a new job this week working for a company in the renewable energy sector. This is still a healthy sector to be in.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

It is tough starting off, however sometimes you have to just take whatever you possibly can to get by, and if that means the work is not what you were trained to do here in the UK, then so be it,until things get better.Any job is better than no job and lots of stress thrown in!

Bluekipper
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

chuckie76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by svinnes
I think OZ is heading down the same slippery path as the U.K, The U.K put 2 stimulus packages in last year in to there economy and that did bugger all, The food prices went up, same as here just now...So personally i don't see how they can avoid it and maybe be worse here...Thats just my opinion...

Suzanne
wooooaaaahh everyone - think positive here, whats is unemployment in aus now versus uk ? 4% versus 7ish? the credit crunch has hit so why is oz 3 months behind uk? uk banks are f##ked, aus bankls have not hadx bailout as far as i know? I dont think the comparisons are correct.......just an opinion i'm not based in either country but from watching british news and reading oz papers there is no comparison
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chuckie76
wooooaaaahh everyone - think positive here, whats is unemployment in aus now versus uk ? 4% versus 7ish? the credit crunch has hit so why is oz 3 months behind uk? uk banks are f##ked, aus bankls have not hadx bailout as far as i know? I dont think the comparisons are correct.......just an opinion i'm not based in either country but from watching british news and reading oz papers there is no comparison
As i said that was just my opinion...When we were in the U.K on holiday, all we heard about was how bad the US was, the U.K wasn't even in the shit when all that was getting spoken about on the news...Hey presto 3-4 months later it all hit...Just my theory...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

As i said that was just my opinion...When we were in the U.K on holiday, all we heard about was how bad the US was, the U.K wasn't even in the shit when all that was getting spoken about on the news...Hey presto 3-4 months later it all hit...Just my theory...
fair enough but the whole banking system collapse thing was started in US with sub-prime which had knock on effects causing much of the sh#t elsewhere or at least starting it, so my question is - how come aus has a slower reaction time , i.e. why isn't oz being hit as hard as uk, US, europe now?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

fair enough but the whole banking system collapse thing was started in US with sub-prime which had knock on effects causing much of the sh#t elsewhere or at least starting it, so my question is - how come aus has a slower reaction time , i.e. why isn't oz being hit as hard as uk, US, europe now?
personally i have no idea...Same as saying how is OZ behind in fashion by a couple of months, the music is behind by a couple of months, Technology bit behind again...I hope it does not hit as hard as it has every where else in the world, but i fail to see how it can be avoided...My hubbie works on the oil rigs and there is rigs getting stacked in the US, here there is talk of it...

Suzanne
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

personally i have no idea...Same as saying how is OZ behind in fashion by a couple of months, the music is behind by a couple of months, Technology bit behind again...I hope it does not hit as hard as it has every where else in the world, but i fail to see how it can be avoided...My hubbie works on the oil rigs and there is rigs getting stacked in the US, here there is talk of it...

Suzanne
fashion, technology, music?? hardly same thing in fairness as banking collapse....i would say oz is being hit at the mo hence the slowdowns outlined on this thread but that it is not heading down the same route as elsewhere...but hey im not an economist so what do i know!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:05 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

fashion, technology, music?? hardly same thing in fairness as banking collapse....i would say oz is being hit at the mo hence the slowdowns outlined on this thread but that it is not heading down the same route as elsewhere...but hey im not an economist so what do i know!
I think the UK was undergoing a gradual slowdown prior to the real onset of GFC last year - primarily due to the housing market. Australia wasn't really in that position but has had a now very rapid turnaround in the state of its economy.

My '3 months behind' comment was based on the GDP numbers. The UK reported 3 quarters at 0%, -0.5% then -1.5%. Australia has reported 0.1%, -0.5% and judging by the surveys of what was happening in Jan, Feb so far will report a strongly negative number in the Mar qtr 2009. The numbers for Aus I have quoted are 3 months behind the UK ones.

Not at all scientific, and quite probably completely wrong. But, there are many countries in the world with supposedly conservative banking systems, not as strongly involved in the asset bubbles and irresponsible lending as US/UK/Aus were whose economies are now tanking.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:52 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

3 phone calls today.........all no

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.