Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Ashes Series

The Ashes Series

Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Ashes Series

Originally Posted by Pearl&Wal
Tbf Vash, England has all of those leagues too - County Championship Div 1 and 2, Sunday League 20/20 Cup (first in the world to have one), womans cricket so it's not that.
Indeed. My point was simply that Australia has a lot more going on in the domestic cricket scene than some people realise. Competition is extremely fierce, and amateur level is at a very high standard.

And also, I watch A Grade Cricket and I played in the top leagues in England in the Midlands and Surrey, played with Aussie overseas players and County players and i'd say Aussie A grade is closer to the equalvilent of minor Counties Cricket with 1 or 2 state players thrown in. However, State sides are well above average county sides. It's a very good standard, but A grade is not 4 day county cricket - atleast it's not in South-East Qld.
I don't follow A grade, so I can't comment. But it seems to me that the quality of England's county cricket is not particularly high, and that's where I believe England is failing. There's just not enough talent at the upper amateur levels.

The reason England are getting dicked on is that they didn't take their chances when batsmen got in during their first innings - they lacked patience and had poor shot selection. Australia taught England a lesson about how to bat on a good wicket. Katich and Pontings innings just showed England that patience and good shot selection when in on a great wicket = lots and lots of runs.
Agreed.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Ashes Series

What I would concede is that A Grade Cricket is harder, tougher cricket (mentally) that it's English equivalent. This is largely due to the competitiveness to get into these sides (more kids seem to play Cricket in Oz) and due to the fact that the games are structured over 2 weekends (1 side bats 1 week, the other the next).

What this means is that, as a batsman, you prize your wicket more as you might get another opportunity to bat for 3 weeks if things pan out against you.

In England they play 50 over one day games so the batsmen know they'll bat every week - hence they seem to prize their wickets less. In my experience, Aussies I played with were always far more 'hardened' players in comparison to their English counterparts and this was why they (the overseas Aussies) thought this was.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:02 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You underestimate the diversity of Australian cricket. We have a thriving amateur scene fuelled by highly competitive interstate rivalries. Our international players are drawn from a high quality domestic pool.

"Grade cricket" is our equivalent of England's county cricket. It is well organised, with intra- and inter-state competitions at an amateur level.

Australia also has four major national domestic cricket competitions (Sheffield Shield, Ford Ranger Cup, KFC Twenty20 Big Bash, Cricket Australia Cup & Women's National Cricket League) and two minor nationals (CA Under-19 Cup & CA Under-17 Cup) all of which are fiercely contended.

One major difference that has struck me during my 5+ years in the UK is the provision of public sporting facilities. Cricket nets are a common feature of public parks in Australia, but I have never seen one in a UK park.
there are a few factors in my opinion why this is. One is that cricket is still very much a class sport. Very few schools these days really push cricket in a competitive manner. Whereas is in Aus, it is more the working class that play.
The other one is that the climate doesn't allow for cricket playing for long periods of time. It is difficult enough as it is just getting a full test series uninterrupted by rain in the summer let alone getting a full national league running fluently.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:15 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
( England to get bowled out for less than 200 today )
looking good
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

looking good
Yep. 70 for 5 now.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:28 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yep. 70 for 5 now.
you have to laugh.....how the hell can one team get nearly 700-6 and the other struggle to score 100 on the same wicket ?

ohh cos its England thats how !

tosspots

Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
The point is that if Aus get smashed in this series then SA will go top. Sure SA don't gain any points from this result but the Aussie lose points. That's how the system works. So Amazulu is correct
Even a drawn series will give SA top spot.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

you have to laugh.....how the hell can one team get nearly 700-6 and the other struggle to score 100 on the same wicket ?

ohh cos its England thats how !

tosspots

It really is hard to believe. Two sessions to go now.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:30 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
there are a few factors in my opinion why this is. One is that cricket is still very much a class sport. Very few schools these days really push cricket in a competitive manner. Whereas is in Aus, it is more the working class that play.
The other one is that the climate doesn't allow for cricket playing for long periods of time. It is difficult enough as it is just getting a full test series uninterrupted by rain in the summer let alone getting a full national league running fluently.
Have to agree entirely with this. Cricket (like Tennis) in the UK is a middle/upper class sport. The fact of the matter is that inner city schools neither have the money to pay for the equipment, or land for pitches (especially as half of the school pitches have been sold off to build houses on), so cricket is hardly played. My mother is a school teacher in a run down town in the north of England and even in summer they never play cricket, only football.

This is borne out in the England team, where in recent years (with the exception of maybe Flintoff, Harmison and Tuffers) the English team have been made up of nice middle class lads, whereas they've been facing ultra -competitive bogans like Warney and don't have the mongrel fighting spirit.

The other factor is the weather, which doesn't lend itself to cricket full stop, but even at a professional level doesn't create results, and ends up with county teams losing 2 days of a four day game to rain and grinding out draws. That makes lazy cricketers.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The Ashes Series

Congratulations England, on your... er... draw.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

INDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really nice

I thought congratulations were given for a team that won.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: The Ashes Series

Originally Posted by INDOAUS
I thought congratulations were given for a team that won.
They are, but Poms celebrate a draw as if it's a win, so congratulations are in order.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

It's only going to get worse as kids in school in the UK are taught that there are no winners or losers... what's important is taking part......
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They are, but Poms celebrate a draw as if it's a win, so congratulations are in order.
So true!!!

PPPHHHEEEWWW!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

Yes indeed, but don't kid us Vash. In Cricketing terms, you must be devastated not to have won that one (I know I would be if it were England).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.