Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Ashes Series

The Ashes Series

Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

simonking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Ashes Series

Which team do you support to win (or barrack for in Oz terminology)?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:29 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ashes Series

Originally Posted by simonking
I'll support a team from the backwoods of Kazicstan if they happen to be playing an Australian team captained by Ponting.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:25 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Can you explain why the ENGLISH team are playing in Wales? Will it be Scotland then N. Ireland next??
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Can you explain why the ENGLISH team are playing in Wales? Will it be Scotland then N. Ireland next??
So the poor relations don't have to find the money to get on a bus up to the big smoke. It would be scary for them
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:02 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So the poor relations don't have to find the money to get on a bus up to the big smoke. It would be scary for them
But they played the Welsh National Anthem. Well I suppose we don't have an English one do we?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:14 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I'll support a team from the backwoods of Kazicstan if they happen to be playing an Australian team captained by Ponting.
I wanted to start a 'Ricky Ponting is a dickhead' Facebook group but around two dozen people had beat me to it!

I'm happy with 435. As soon as Freddie can get Ponting out we're into the Australian tail.

To the OP's topic: I can't understand any Brit would change any allegiance when it comes to cricket.

True I quite like to support the Socceroos because I like to see football do well here. I can also understand Brits taking a curious interest in AFL. Then there'll also be a few Sweaty Socks around who'll be anti anything English, but generally I can't see why any Expat with a decent sense of identity would change to support Australia in the Ashes. Especially when the Aus team has dished out such misery in the last couple of decades with the most detestful arrogance.

LIVE: Come on Monty, get the **** out!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:35 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you don't really follow cricket then.

The team may be called "England" but it represents both England and Wales as does the ECB.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

And technically Wales is not a country but something like a Price's parity?? OOOH
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Even though they are commonly referred to as "The England Cricket Team" it is in fact the "England and Wales Cricket Board" that governs the game. Hence why Wales are not represented as a separate nation at the World Cup like Scotland are.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

ECB

I reckon it's just a marketing gimmick and they needed a few players from Glamorgan to help out. It doesn't feel like a Welsh team to me so I'm not supporting it
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:08 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
ECB

I reckon it's just a marketing gimmick and they needed a few players from Glamorgan to help out. It doesn't feel like a Welsh team to me so I'm not supporting it
Simon Jones in 2005 made a massive contribution to the team
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Simon Jones in 2005 made a massive contribution to the team
One of the players from Glamorgan that's helped out over the years.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like either team but I'm going to support England because if Australia don't win the Ashes, South Africa will go to 1st spot in the World rankings.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rab
I wanted to start a 'Ricky Ponting is a dickhead' Facebook group but around two dozen people had beat me to it!

I'm happy with 435. As soon as Freddie can get Ponting out we're into the Australian tail.

To the OP's topic: I can't understand any Brit would change any allegiance when it comes to cricket.

True I quite like to support the Socceroos because I like to see football do well here. I can also understand Brits taking a curious interest in AFL. Then there'll also be a few Sweaty Socks around who'll be anti anything English, but generally I can't see why any Expat with a decent sense of identity would change to support Australia in the Ashes. Especially when the Aus team has dished out such misery in the last couple of decades with the most detestful arrogance.

LIVE: Come on Monty, get the **** out!
Well said that man, music to my ears
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:00 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Mr Peepster read something on this other day - apparently the Welsh govt paid over £3million to hold the 1st test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.