British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Ashes Series (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ashes-series-619143/)

simonking Jul 9th 2009 10:16 am

The Ashes Series

Which team do you support to win (or barrack for in Oz terminology)?

The Bloke Jul 9th 2009 11:29 am

Re: The Ashes Series

Originally Posted by simonking (Post 7736932)

I'll support a team from the backwoods of Kazicstan if they happen to be playing an Australian team captained by Ponting.

ray2gill Jul 9th 2009 12:25 pm

Can you explain why the ENGLISH team are playing in Wales? Will it be Scotland then N. Ireland next??:eek:

moneypenny20 Jul 9th 2009 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by ray2gill (Post 7737242)
Can you explain why the ENGLISH team are playing in Wales? Will it be Scotland then N. Ireland next??:eek:

So the poor relations don't have to find the money to get on a bus up to the big smoke. It would be scary for them :blink::D

ray2gill Jul 9th 2009 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 7737248)
So the poor relations don't have to find the money to get on a bus up to the big smoke. It would be scary for them :blink::D

But they played the Welsh National Anthem. Well I suppose we don't have an English one do we?

rab Jul 9th 2009 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 7737111)
I'll support a team from the backwoods of Kazicstan if they happen to be playing an Australian team captained by Ponting.

I wanted to start a 'Ricky Ponting is a dickhead' Facebook group but around two dozen people had beat me to it!

I'm happy with 435. As soon as Freddie can get Ponting out we're into the Australian tail.

To the OP's topic: I can't understand any Brit would change any allegiance when it comes to cricket.

True I quite like to support the Socceroos because I like to see football do well here. I can also understand Brits taking a curious interest in AFL. Then there'll also be a few Sweaty Socks around who'll be anti anything English, but generally I can't see why any Expat with a decent sense of identity would change to support Australia in the Ashes. Especially when the Aus team has dished out such misery in the last couple of decades with the most detestful arrogance.

LIVE: Come on Monty, get the **** out!

Kalenge Jul 9th 2009 2:35 pm

I take it you don't really follow cricket then.

The team may be called "England" but it represents both England and Wales as does the ECB.

sportsendurance Jul 9th 2009 10:37 pm

And technically Wales is not a country but something like a Price's parity?? OOOH

Broad Shoulders Jul 9th 2009 10:43 pm

Even though they are commonly referred to as "The England Cricket Team" it is in fact the "England and Wales Cricket Board" that governs the game. Hence why Wales are not represented as a separate nation at the World Cup like Scotland are.

MartinLuther Jul 9th 2009 10:48 pm

ECB

I reckon it's just a marketing gimmick and they needed a few players from Glamorgan to help out. It doesn't feel like a Welsh team to me so I'm not supporting it :lol:

Broad Shoulders Jul 9th 2009 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 7738660)
ECB

I reckon it's just a marketing gimmick and they needed a few players from Glamorgan to help out. It doesn't feel like a Welsh team to me so I'm not supporting it :lol:

Simon Jones in 2005 made a massive contribution to the team

MartinLuther Jul 9th 2009 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 7738688)
Simon Jones in 2005 made a massive contribution to the team

One of the players from Glamorgan that's helped out over the years.

Amazulu Jul 9th 2009 11:30 pm

I don't like either team but I'm going to support England because if Australia don't win the Ashes, South Africa will go to 1st spot in the World rankings.

thedons Jul 10th 2009 4:40 am

Originally Posted by rab (Post 7737523)
I wanted to start a 'Ricky Ponting is a dickhead' Facebook group but around two dozen people had beat me to it!

I'm happy with 435. As soon as Freddie can get Ponting out we're into the Australian tail.

To the OP's topic: I can't understand any Brit would change any allegiance when it comes to cricket.

True I quite like to support the Socceroos because I like to see football do well here. I can also understand Brits taking a curious interest in AFL. Then there'll also be a few Sweaty Socks around who'll be anti anything English, but generally I can't see why any Expat with a decent sense of identity would change to support Australia in the Ashes. Especially when the Aus team has dished out such misery in the last couple of decades with the most detestful arrogance.

LIVE: Come on Monty, get the **** out!

Well said that man, music to my ears

Peepster Jul 10th 2009 5:00 am

Mr Peepster read something on this other day - apparently the Welsh govt paid over £3million to hold the 1st test.