Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Old Mar 31st 2007, 5:40 am
Just Joined

cheeky_ monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
a thread close to my heart. have a look at my threads about the very same thing...............

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427065

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430735

i have posted on other threads about the same thing. what can i say? i know
exactly how you feel. my sister did the medical receptionist thing, and has just jot a job where we live for 3 days a week. still, it has taken here months to find that job. i dont know the pay, sorry.

it is so fustrating, this lack of job opportunities. i didnt expect a job to fall into my lap, but i did not expect to find it so hard. it is so demoralising and makes you feel like crap.

i applied for everything and anything, and am still applying now. sorry, i cant offer any words of wisdom on this, just words of 'keep going, thats all we can do'. fingers crossed. the 2 day a week job i now have (casual), has come from me dropping off my resume at the local airport when we first got here in august. they contacted me a couple of weeks ago and asked me to call in for an interview. but, 2 days a week isnt enough financially. we need more.

i have sent you some good luck karma, hope it helps. fingers crossed.
xx
you should try france mate-3 years to get anything- and i'm bilingual!!
i would do a secretary job for crap money- you would'nt get in over here!!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gigi100
Hi Pollyanna

We are already living in Melbourne and have been here for 7 months. My hubby has got a permanent full time job now but believe you me it was touch and go for a while as all the jobs he had before were casual and we thought we were never going to be able to get a mortgage. He would still like to do post office work though.

Cant believe you need to do a course just to do bar work! Next they will be telling us we have to do a course just to work at Woolies! Still dont know what a PCA course is though...Ozzieeagle can you enlighten?
Georgina

Personal Care Attendant, (PCA) there should be courses in your local paper, normally it's aimed at people wanting to work in Aged Care, However you can avoid the wiping bums type of work, by moving into orderly work, or people shifting. I'd aim for a Psych hospital, because I know lots of psych nurses and I'm married to a Psych nurse. It's a long road getting the right job out of this, and it basically comes down to contacts or getting yourself known. Simple fact is Orderlies are employed in Psych hospitals, and they take new people on to replace those that leave, and new employees required to have PCA certificates.

With Aussie post, you have to go to the following URL, let me know how you go with this, because we take on mail sorters all the time, and if the forms you fill in dont cover mail sorters, I will find our how we are sourcing them.

http://www.auspost.com.au/BCP/0,1080...7EMO19,00.html

Give Adecco a ring as well, its on the Apost site BTW Messenger post is probably the best courier work out there at present, but I wouldn't advise it as all courier work is inherently crap.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 31st 2007 at 4:22 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Almost all new jobs are now Casual, for the most part they are crap jobs, however they dont pay as poorly as one would expect, with supermarket employees, easily able to earn circa 24 bucks an hour for Sunday and public holiday work.

At Aussie post, we were told all new employees, would be taken on as Casuals, The turnover of these new employees is phenominal, at circa 60-70 pct a year as they have no protection, and are given the worst hours. When you consider they work aside people doing the exact same job as permanent employees, With the permanent employees getting Sick pay, holiday pay, and higher super, its like rubbing salt into a gaping wound. When you consider you can have a Casual, who may well have been phoned up to come in at 2am and it's now 1 hour later at 3am, and the Casual is getting 21 bucks per hour on easter sunday, whilst the fulltimer is getting 45 bucks per hour because he is on the public holiday rate @ 2.5 times the basic rate, then it's easy to see how sickening it would be for those casual employees.

I'm banging on a bit here, my whole point in posting, is to realise the dream, one has to go and find the money to fund it. The inner cities is generally where the money is. Base jobs at crap unsocial hours is where most jobs are, Its all part of the Assimulation system.

I think thats enough for now, I daren't say how some potential pommy employees are getting entrapped and laughed at by Aussie employers and interviewers, by letting them run off at the mouth, at how they are going to change their new workplace, with their superior experience in what is obviously an inferior country ... Beleive me it happens, it's expected and it causes Aussies a great deal of mirth.

BTW, if your in the right place, it is easy to get a job here, if your willing to work the crap hours.

A very Real view of casual hours and how workplace reform has affected the way people are employed.

I think the reality of casual work is that it suits very few people, although it seems almost the majority will soon be employed that way. For a start how many people have the sort of life where they can drop eveything and suddenly be at work in a few minutes notice, I'd suggest the reality of that for anyone with children is obvious. Who can pay a mortage when you dont know what you will earn week to week?

Yes some days you may get more money for being casual, but thats disappering too, penalty rates dont apply in many jobs now as the OP has described. Now take supermarkets where they do still exist, has anyone been in a coles/wools on a sunday, there are no workers in there over the age of about 16, they simply employ kids at $9 for those days.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

We understand where your coming from. Were in the same boat. always thought we'd get through it, but now absolutly broke, cant pay the bills, rent, or anything as of friday just gone.

My hubby has applied for near on 70+ jobs, some were just cold calls, emails and letters, but the rest were advertised. so far he has about 2% of actual replies, how bad is that? or the jobs have actually been filled, even though they have only just been advertised!

We believe that whilst yea his qualifications were more than enough to satisfy TRA, it seems like the companies here dont recognise them.
He has also tried other types of work, but no luck, theres always something, being it a fork lift licence needed, or a licence for retail or computers....so much for the better life, and the point that i heard so many australians were changing careers, hmm dont see that myself, unless you are well off to be able to leave work and pay for courses.

He even went to a job agent, only to be told they cant help until he has been on benefits for 3 months, then they will take another look...p*ss poor in our opinion.

so from looking at the skilled work, right they way to a bum job he still hasnt got anywhere, we also believe that they do prefer to employ ozzies over "foreigners".

so where do you go and what do you do? he is now contemplating relocating, as if relocating to the otherside of the world wasnt enough! and Brisbane, supposedly the best place for employment! hmmm yea ok, what ever.

we hope you are all having much better luck than we are.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laverda down under
We understand where your coming from. Were in the same boat. always thought we'd get through it, but now absolutly broke, cant pay the bills, rent, or anything as of friday just gone.

My hubby has applied for near on 70+ jobs, some were just cold calls, emails and letters, but the rest were advertised. so far he has about 2% of actual replies, how bad is that? or the jobs have actually been filled, even though they have only just been advertised!

We believe that whilst yea his qualifications were more than enough to satisfy TRA, it seems like the companies here dont recognise them.
He has also tried other types of work, but no luck, theres always something, being it a fork lift licence needed, or a licence for retail or computers....so much for the better life, and the point that i heard so many australians were changing careers, hmm dont see that myself, unless you are well off to be able to leave work and pay for courses.

He even went to a job agent, only to be told they cant help until he has been on benefits for 3 months, then they will take another look...p*ss poor in our opinion.

so from looking at the skilled work, right they way to a bum job he still hasnt got anywhere, we also believe that they do prefer to employ ozzies over "foreigners".

so where do you go and what do you do? he is now contemplating relocating, as if relocating to the otherside of the world wasnt enough! and Brisbane, supposedly the best place for employment! hmmm yea ok, what ever.

That's awful

What job does(did) he do ?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

By trade he is a printer, qualified in sheet and web printing.
He qouldlike to work as a computer tech, however all companies want qualified techs. we were hoping that 10years experience in working on computers in spare time and weekends would be enough, but app not.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

By trade he is a printer, qualified in sheet and web printing.
He qouldlike to work as a computer tech, however all companies want qualified techs. we were hoping that 10years experience in working on computers in spare time and weekends would be enough, but app not.

Well I hope everything comes good for you both.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:22 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soonbethere
...<snip>.. the only conclusion i can come up with, is that women here generally work part time,..<snip>...

I'm female and I work full time with a six figure salary. 3 of my (female)friends are the same and one is $200k+

There are plenty of jobs out there but it is very much a case of who you know.

In Perth, 80% of the jobs are never advertised.

You need to get in with a good agency and prove your worth.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:33 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Cant guarentee its the same in every company but cetainly in the company I work for, our casual/contract employees are paid 20% more then staff employees to off set the holidays and sick leave.

When we employ a new starter we offer the option of staff or contract.

If the person opts to go contract, their salary is based on the formula of (staff salary)/2080 multiplied by 1.2 to get the hourly rate. And given that contractors are expected to work 45 hour week rather than 40 hour week for staff, they can make quite good money.

The majority of folk in Perth opt to go contract rather than staff for just that reason.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you dont work at coles then
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I take it you dont work at coles then
My mate works at Coles and is doing very well in her casual job.
My wife actually wants a job where she doesn't have to think and quite fancies it herself.

If working parttime meant casual I'd be happy to do it - if I get paid then that ticks the box for me. I work as a volunteer firefighter at all sorts of inconvenient times and obviously I do it for free.....jesus. I should move to SA and get paid.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
There are plenty of jobs out there but it is very much a case of who you know.

In Perth, 80% of the jobs are never advertised.

You need to get in with a good agency and prove your worth.
Allways been the case. When I was young , I always used to wonder where all the high flyers got their jobs as there didn't seem too many in the papers. Then I realised that it was networking, agents, mates and luck.....
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Totally understand. My ex husband and I came to Brisbane in 2000, he had been working in direct marketing in London, quite well paid. Took over seven months to find something here, despite trying everything, and that was a far more junior role on about half the money. And he is Brisbane born and bred, went to public school here (it's very much old boys network alive and kicking in qld, what school you went and who you know still very much counts) and was only in UK for five years ... so what hope do the Brits have?!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
jesus. I should move to SA and get paid.
We'd be happy to have you
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Well i have a "contractors" job as a computer tech, but so far one job a week, which just about pays the petrol lol. also was offered another computer tech job today, but what they wanted and what they paid was unrealistic. However, i have finally been offered a job, again in computers, have had no choice but to take it, though i woud prefer to stick with the guy i have signed a contract with, but no work means no bills get paid, its a tough situation, loyalty over quick fix!
i have also found a job that i have applied for that is my history and experience down to a tee, the downside...its in new zealand, though this appeals big time, do i want yet another huge move and huge costs so early since moving to Aus.
I also contacted out local governament about my plight, however i got a reply stateing they are nt an employment agent, and stats show only 3% are unemployed ..... Full Time.. that is. and he cant see why i am struggling!

Sometimes i do wonder why i came here, all the promises Howard was giving, but once were here, there are no promises. Theres a niche in the market, employment agency for skilled migrants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.