Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all
Default Re: Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Hi there,

We are hoping to be moving to Perth later this year. Reading this post has made me worried about finding work for myself. My other half is an Engineer, and I am an Accounts Payable Clerk. We have no children so I would be looking for full time. Does anyone know how easy it would be for a Pom to get a job as an account bod?? I see loadsa vacancy's advertised, but if agencies are anything like over here, then they don't exist

Thanks for you time

Tracey
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:01 am
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice

Just to add a positive job story...

I am an Office Manager/Accounts, extensive experience but not qualified accountant. I applied for roles in Perth on seek.com.au, had several call backs straight away, the only slight sticking point was lack of experience of BAS, PAYG and Super, oh and they LOVE MYOB over here . Met with an agency on the Thursday, had an interview on the Friday and permanent job offer that afternoon, it literally took me less than a week, I was flexible on salary with the agreement it would be reviewed after I had gained a little Aus experience. Maybe I found it easier because I was looking full time? (No children to worry about, yet)!

For people who are still looking in Perth, I know a couple of people in recruitment and they reckon they have loads of jobs but just can't find the people, am happy to pass on contact details for anyone here who is interested...

p.s this isn't meant to sound smug in any way whatsoever, just wanted to give a positive example!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

flower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by soonbethere
We live in Mandurah, got here on 136 skills visa, (cook) i managed to get some hours at the local TAFE working as a cook, the hours advertised were from 7 - 3.30, i got to the interview and was told that its 7 - 1.30, the 3.30 was in case there any functions on. I agreed to the post, and started, all was fine until the 'manageress' (more like lioness!!) started to poke her nose in all my pans of food. i could go on about her wanting me to cook a bechamel sauce with milk and just cornflour, and asking (no telling me!!) to cook FROZEN chickens, when i refused it was such an issue, but i am going off the point.

She then decided that because I managed to get the meals out on time, she would cut my hours, WITHOUT any discussion, she said on a friday afternoon to look at the rota because she has changed some of the staff hours for the following week. Mine was cut to finish at 12.00 !!! what cook finishes work at the crucial service time???? she was just so rude to everyone, all the delivery drivers seemed to dislike her so much because of her lack of manners. I eventually couldn't take the crap any more so i told her i was finishing work at the end of the week, "the job isn't what i thought it would be" after her trying to work out what my problem was, i ended up telling her about the lack catering knowledge across the board, and my hours being cut. she was stuck for words, and i eventually left....

Since then i can't get ANYTHING, in the UK I was an office manager and worked in accounts doing all the company books, total control of the accounts, running all the admin etc....i have applied for literally dozens of jobs, and i haven't had a look in...I have actually got a spreadsheet going so i can keep up with where i am up to. The hours on offer are either 15-20 hrs a week, and with the mortgages etc here i need to be clearing $500 per week. i was offered a job the other day but the hours were for 20 hrs, then i went to a Dr's practise yesterday and was offered the job, but the money was CRAP, the office manageress, told me she was sorry the salary was so bad, and i would be better off probably going to K mart and picking my hours...!!!! but i really don't think i could even do that!! she said the women there had been there for over 10 years, the newest has been there for 5, and they don't ask for a wage rise.... what!!!! why????? perhaps they don't need it with the big investment they are sat on at home,,,, (i sound really sore, but i am not, good luck to them)
I am getting really depressed with the thought that i am not wanted, the only conclusion i can come up with, is that women here generally work part time, (and thats great if you don't have a big mortgage... due to the house prices etc) I also have an 11 yr old that i need to think about in school time, all our plans have gone to pot, we thought that i could get a p/t job, and have enough money coming in for a small mtg,, its just too much
anyone any answers?? I was thinking of going on a medical receptionist course , but whats the point for $15+ per hour???
After a long fruitless search for work. i found an add for a house keeper in one of the local resort complexes no exp needed! I tele had 1/2 a days traning, got the job. I get paid per room and pay is depending on size of room. Only work i could find, i work part-time and earn approx 250 dollors a week.
Keep trying, i worked for the Police in the UK, and if i told my collegues that i now make beds and clean bathrooms( including toilets) they would be shocked. But what can ya do! Best of luck....
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:55 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
[with regards the comments from the Bloke, its unfortunate you made those comments about the lady, i wish people would think before they open there mouth, its as though the "Bloke" put his mouth into gear before engaging the Brain.??

If the lady spends time with her family on a saturday thats fine we all have a life you know. As for the comments about canteen lady's your well out of order there mate, i hope you are NOT a Thatcher supporter because it appears the comments where a direct derogatory dig a females in general and belive me mate your on your own there, imagine facing all these females on here, you will be like the "Lone Ranger".

arthur
Please engage your brain before opening mouth. The person in made it quite plain that she did not want to work on a roster that involved Saturdays, which was part of the job requirements, and was not prepared to be flexible. FFS the rosters are usually rotating anyway, so she most likely wouldn't be required every Saturday. If she knew of the required hours, why apply? BTW Woolies is not a canteen, it is a supermarket chain where staff are required to work on rosters, that is if they really want the job.

Also, I am not being degrogatory to females, it is just I am getting sick of people male and female, who complain that they cannot get a job, simply for the fact that they can't get the chosen position immediately and will not take any job, no matter how tedious, lower in pay than they are used to etc., then come on BE and whinge about it. Over the years there has been many, with a few only giving it a couple of months before going back to the UK citing lack of employment as a reason. If you had bothered to check some of my older posts, you would see that I have actually tried to help with websites etc. One poster lasted 7 weeks in Brisbane, left for the UK after the Gov't position he applied for didn't contact him immediately after he posted his job application. I actually told him that it may take several months to get even to the stage of interviews. Personnally I do not real give a monkey's what you think, I was expressing an opinion.
FFS my OH worked sorting mail for Australia Post when she first came out.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:57 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TraceyW;4554772]
Originally Posted by The Bloke

Aaaahhh The Bloke. What an arrogant and condescending attitude you have. Right back at ya babe....you're an Australian man. Says it all really.

I would've thought, after the crap your wife has had to put up with here, you would have half a brain that understood just how difficult things can be.
I just tell it like it is......
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JoandStuV
Just to add a positive job story...

I am an Office Manager/Accounts, extensive experience but not qualified accountant. I applied for roles in Perth on seek.com.au, had several call backs straight away, the only slight sticking point was lack of experience of BAS, PAYG and Super, oh and they LOVE MYOB over here . Met with an agency on the Thursday, had an interview on the Friday and permanent job offer that afternoon, it literally took me less than a week, I was flexible on salary with the agreement it would be reviewed after I had gained a little Aus experience. Maybe I found it easier because I was looking full time? (No children to worry about, yet)!

For people who are still looking in Perth, I know a couple of people in recruitment and they reckon they have loads of jobs but just can't find the people, am happy to pass on contact details for anyone here who is interested...

p.s this isn't meant to sound smug in any way whatsoever, just wanted to give a positive example!
Thank you for that. That has made me a little more confident. I too have extensive experience in accounts, but am not qualified. I am not too fussed on salary and don't expect top dollar, am well aware I have to prove myself first.

PS - You don't sound smug, its nice to hear success stories as well

Thanks again.

Tracey
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:43 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gigi100
Hello The Bloke
Well you are obviously a man hey. Well let me put it to you that if you cant get a flexible job that fits round the kids etc especially at a place where they work til midnight, well us mothers should perhaps just stay at home and sponge off the government then?
I find it difficult to believe that when Tracey said she couldnt work Sat but could work the Sunday and every other day that her hours could not be accommodated. Surely there are workers that would prefer to work til midnight during the week and not have to work a Saturday for example. They are pretty unflexible and cannot relate to the real lives of applicants. People have to pay child care during the week and isnt it a bit mean of you to suggest also that Tracey cannot at least spend 1 day with her hubby? There are a lot of people who need flexibility and cannot work certain hours. Your comments about how much a school cook should be paid are also uncalled for and i would hope that most schools would pay slightly more for a good cook. If you worked out how much $15 per hour for 27 hours was over the year and also not paid for holdays then she is certainly probably better off sponging from gov. Is that what you would prefer?
Anyway you made me a bit angry with your attitude. All i hope is that you are never in a situation where flexibility is needed as i am sure if you were your attitude might change:curse:
time for a reality check

$15 an hour isnt a poor wage i`m a sparkie with 20 plus years experiance
i started on $22 an hour ( the going rate whilst waiting for a full licence )

your kidding yourselve if you think you can come over work on a casual basis and dictate the terms of your employment

the blokes reply ?
from personal experiance over the last six months
pretty spot on i would say

Last edited by steve`o; Mar 27th 2007 at 7:17 pm. Reason: added a bit
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I would totally advocate accepting whatever job you're offered, if you need it (beggars can't be choosers) there is also a problem for some people, especially women I think, who end up being totally overqualified for the jobs they apply for.
For example, there are plenty of ladies out there who have degrees, qualifications and professional experience, but after having children they either can't or won't work full time hours. They end up applying for jobs in schools, or part time office jobs - and the employers chuck their CVS immediately because they expect that am experienced graduate won't stay in the job. If this hypothetical woman did get the job, she would probably be tearing her hair out in no time because of being mindnumbingly bored. After a short while, her selfesteem might be at rockbottom. Alternatively when she is continuously rejected from jobs that are way below her, she still loses all confidence in her own abilities and self worth.
What is the solution?! It almost seems as if the only way to have a decent job and kids is to have your job secured before becoming pregnant, then you can go back to it. (even that is not guaranteed).
If anyone has a magic solution, do share!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:25 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Please engage your brain before opening mouth. The person in made it quite plain that she did not want to work on a roster that involved Saturdays, which was part of the job requirements, and was not prepared to be flexible. FFS the rosters are usually rotating anyway, so she most likely wouldn't be required every Saturday. If she knew of the required hours, why apply? BTW Woolies is not a canteen, it is a supermarket chain where staff are required to work on rosters, that is if they really want the job.

Also, I am not being degrogatory to females, it is just I am getting sick of people male and female, who complain that they cannot get a job, simply for the fact that they can't get the chosen position immediately and will not take any job, no matter how tedious, lower in pay than they are used to etc., then come on BE and whinge about it. Over the years there has been many, with a few only giving it a couple of months before going back to the UK citing lack of employment as a reason. If you had bothered to check some of my older posts, you would see that I have actually tried to help with websites etc. One poster lasted 7 weeks in Brisbane, left for the UK after the Gov't position he applied for didn't contact him immediately after he posted his job application. I actually told him that it may take several months to get even to the stage of interviews. Personnally I do not real give a monkey's what you think, I was expressing an opinion.
FFS my OH worked sorting mail for Australia Post when she first came out.
..........well i have been on here and whinged. is that okay with you? we have been here over 7 months now. i have applied for many many jobs, sometimes 6 a day, and all sorts of jobs. coles/funeral directors/health care worker/pizza delivery driver/admin jobs, all well beneath my capabilities, as well as the jobs that i am qualified to do (i have qualifications and experience). i am sick to death of applying for jobs, a job at the post office? chance would be a fine thing.

people are on here to express their experiences. it is a sounding board. do you kinow how demoralising it is to hear that you are not good enough to deliver a pizza? i think not. my self esteem is rock bottom, this makes life harder for us. it makes life difficult at home, with both my husband and my kids. i feel like crap if coming on here and letting rip helps, then i will do it. it doesnt help me to hear how easy it is to get a job............IT EFFIN ISNT!!!! not for me, and not for other people, out there. it isnt for the want of trying, it isnt for the want of only applying for jobs that i want (who wants to shower and toilet old people anyway, i certainly dont :curse.

so, please, a little sympathy rather than 'telling it like it is', because from where i am sitting (and my poor family that have had to take the brunt of my inability to gta job) it is like it is, far from it
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Whilst I would totally advocate accepting whatever job you're offered, if you need it (beggars can't be choosers) there is also a problem for some people, especially women I think, who end up being totally overqualified for the jobs they apply for.
For example, there are plenty of ladies out there who have degrees, qualifications and professional experience, but after having children they either can't or won't work full time hours. They end up applying for jobs in schools, or part time office jobs - and the employers chuck their CVS immediately because they expect that am experienced graduate won't stay in the job. If this hypothetical woman did get the job, she would probably be tearing her hair out in no time because of being mindnumbingly bored. After a short while, her selfesteem might be at rockbottom. Alternatively when she is continuously rejected from jobs that are way below her, she still loses all confidence in her own abilities and self worth.
What is the solution?! It almost seems as if the only way to have a decent job and kids is to have your job secured before becoming pregnant, then you can go back to it. (even that is not guaranteed).
If anyone has a magic solution, do share!
I totally agree, they will bin your application if you are overqualified as they will know that you are only filling in time until a better job comes along, my suggestion would be to tailor your CV to fit the job and not over sale on a lower spec job, just add a couple of bonus points in.

Have you registered with any agencies, this is what I did when I first decided to work and worked in the city which gave me some Aussie experience and finally applied for a job at the local hopital which I got and have been there 14 months now 2 full days a week at $20.5 per hour as a Admin officer. Have just applied for another job within hospital 5 days a week 8-1.30 and have an interview next Tuesday. I really work hard on my CV to tailor its needs and also especially in gov jobs or similar I make sure that I address the essential and disirable criteria, even when I dont meet it for eg I have been able to type upto 75wpm but as I dont do this much anymore my speed is more 50wpm they where asking for at least 60 wpm and rather than lie and say I meet that (cause some places test you) I explain that I have acheived this in the past but due to the fact that I havent been typing a lot lately my speed has declined and I am sure that within a short time I will meet and exceed the required speed. This way if I do get tested and fail they know why.

Try hospital websites for job openings and large firms as most of them will have websites with jobs on them. Where I work at Gosford Hospital they provide staff with holiday childcare which costs about $30 per day (+excursions some days) and this is usually from 6.30 to 6.30 or there abouts. Also if you have young children they have a list of approved childminders which health staff are given priority for (even us admin girls) and I know a lady at work pays approx $160 per week for her 1year old full time.

Jo
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

In fact personally this is not an issue for me yet. I haven't had any kids, so I will be looking (in two weeks!) for a graduate position that will offer me training and prospects for promotion. I don't mind working full time, long hours, weekends (preferably not all of the above!) and even starting on a low wage if I can just get my foot in the door.
For me the problem is that my qualifications & three years experience are in something that I want to move completely away from. So whilst I am a graduate, and have lots of skills to offer, I will effectively be starting from scratch in my new career, whatever it is. (I'm flexible!) So for me the challenge will be getting a foot in the door for an interview, and then persuading them to give me a shot - when i am well aware I might be up against people with much more specific & recognised qualifications. So I will be working hard on my CV! I already have a new suit, hair cut when I get there and then lots of dedicated applying & networking. Wish me luck, I know I'm going to need it.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

The Bloke, your post did read like you was slagging the lady i may have read it wrong mate my appologies please do forgive me. we are all normal & make mistakes, so if & when we ever meet i owe you a beer

arthur
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I get $15 an hour and I don't work weekends or fridays.

It is a crap wage as steveo says but what can you do when you live in the promise land don't want to work lol.

I am a qualified teacher and hairdresser and I want to do neither. I came to live not to work my arse off like I did in the UK.

Good luck to the job seekers it is very hard to secure employment over here if you just want a small part time job

hugs Lace xxx

Oh sorry and good luck petal
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I had the same thing while looking for a job. I was a PA in the UK and worked for the VP of an international company for 5 yrs. Had great refs etc. I applied for loads of jobs on Seek.com and also out of the paper and through agencies. I had a few interviews and at a couple of them I thought "I've definitely got this job". One of the interviewers was even asking me which desk I would like to sit at ! Anyway, didn't get any of them and the reasons were always the same "You don't have any experience working in Australia". How the F*** are you supposed to get this experience if no bugger will give you a job! In the end I applied for a job at a car rental place in Scarborough. I used to work for Eurodollar in the UK years ago and quite liked it so I thought it would be quite an ok job. Not much thinking involved. Anyway, the bloke said that the hours were shifts. I said fine, but I can't do Sundays because (like Tracey) it's the only day off my OH has. He said that wouldn't be a problem because he'd get someone else to do Sundays. Asked him what the wages were... $14 per hour. I must have looked shocked as I just couldn't believe it! Anyway, he said he'd give me a ring, asked when I could start etc. A week later and no call so I called him and he said I didn't get the job because I couldn't do Sundays! I asked one of the girls at my son's daycare about the wages and she said that is under the minimum wage.

To the lady who was on about accounts jobs, a friend of mine does accounts and has had a couple of good part time jobs since she's been here while the kids are at school. You do need to know MYOB though.

Jo
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I get paid $14.86 jo so that can't be under the legal wage as the company I work for is IGA and they (as you know) are a massive supermarket. If there is not much thinking involved then you would expect the wage to be low. Just the way it is petal

I hope you find something soon

Iv'e seen loads of accounts jobs in the paper here.

lace xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.