Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:23 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
getting a job at $15 and hour would be a bonus. congratulations on the applying for 8 jobs and having responses from them all. i have applied for jobs numbering 3 figures, had replies back numbering about 20, and had about 8 interviews. i have well surpassed the criteria on about 98% of the jobs i have applied for, as i am not afraid of applying for jobs that are beneath my capabilities......................but needs must. my sister made a comment to me this week, i cant see you helping old folk out in their homes, she says, cleaning them etc. i am willing to do what is necessary to obtain some employment, but it just isnt happeninga. maybe you are lucky, maybe i am unlucky, but it aint happening here, even though i am an astute person with qualifications and give my employers 110%, have had 4 jobs in nearly 25 years, and have excellent references.

by the way, are you alan or sam?
Sam, and have been applying for jobs in schools, which i have did back in the Uk and have qualifications for!
but am also in WA so not sure if that has some bearing on it SB?

I hope you get something soon, i know how demoralising it can be, i was in that situation 8 years ago in the UK (dont know why i have found things so much easier over here and others find it the other way around? )
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:31 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan and sam
Sam, and have been applying for jobs in schools, which i have did back in the Uk and have qualifications for!
but am also in WA so not sure if that has some bearing on it SB?

I hope you get something soon, i know how demoralising it can be, i was in that situation 8 years ago in the UK (dont know why i have found things so much easier over here and others find it the other way around? )
i think you are lucky then, whether it is because you are in WA, I dont know? i too have qualifications and experience from the UK as a teachers aide, but that has had no bearing on job applications. i have also got many qualifications, including computer courses, and over 17 years experience in the travel industry, and again this has made no difference. maybe you have a super covering letter? who knows? but, there are many people who struggle to get anything out there. my ideal job is to work in a school, but with all the parent helpers, why should they employ teachers aides?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:30 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

i think you are lucky then, whether it is because you are in WA, I dont know? i too have qualifications and experience from the UK as a teachers aide, but that has had no bearing on job applications. i have also got many qualifications, including computer courses, and over 17 years experience in the travel industry, and again this has made no difference. maybe you have a super covering letter? who knows? but, there are many people who struggle to get anything out there. my ideal job is to work in a school, but with all the parent helpers, why should they employ teachers aides?
i see your point SB, parent helpers don't seem to be as prevelant over here for some reason.
I've been lucky enough to have a few days relief in a secondary school, which i managed to get through a recommendation from a friends dad (whos a teacher at that school) i have found that its definately who you know over here and not really what you know! daft i say, you'd think experience and qualifications would stand on their own ground but not necessarily so in Oz.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:12 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jodie n' Mark
Just a thought soon be there have you thought about setting yourself up in business? Sounds like with your catering skills you could set yourself up in any number of businesses from sandwich van (do they have them in oz? - you could serve healthy fresh boxed salads?) to catering for large functions weddings, business meetings etc? With this you could work around your own hours and kitchen hence looking after the kids and perhaps emplying another unfortunate brit to drive the van? Applications on an email to .....

Good luck in whatever you decide to do - I am sure the job you want is round the corner.

Jodie

PS Karma sent
Thanks so much for the vote of confidence, i don't have the 'balls' to start something on my own, i really wish i did,
and to 'the bloke'..... thanks for looking down on us, just like the rest of them.. what a complete tosser, you obviously think that 'school dinner ladies' are paid enough, well not in my book. City and Guilds, apprenticship, hands on knowledge all count for nothing then, well done on getting an A in your man management skills.
We (my OH & I) were laughing about the job adverts wanting people with skills and customer service etc... then when you try and deal with the people who actually write these adverts out, they don't know the first thing about customer service, they don't seem to get it that i could be a potential customer one day, and so I would definitely think twice about going there after the service i received.... dur..doesn't take a lot to get that right!!

Thanks again to all who understand, and all of us that are in the same boat, lets keep positive, there are more good people than bad!!!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

sent you a private message hun.

Hubby has had to retrain and it has just taken us 7 weeks from start to finish for him to get a job. We were just talking about this a week or so ago weren't we SB.

Something will come along hun. Lots of us are in the same boat

hugs Lace xxxx
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:11 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21
sent you a private message hun.

Hubby has had to retrain and it has just taken us 7 weeks from start to finish for him to get a job. We were just talking about this a week or so ago weren't we SB.

Something will come along hun. Lots of us are in the same boat

hugs Lace xxxx
me or soonbethere on the pm? cos if it was me, i havent got it

what has p retrained as lace?
are you still working at IGA?

love to you all honey.
xx
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:05 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by alan and sam
i see your point SB, parent helpers don't seem to be as prevelant over here for some reason.
I've been lucky enough to have a few days relief in a secondary school, which i managed to get through a recommendation from a friends dad (whos a teacher at that school) i have found that its definately who you know over here and not really what you know! daft i say, you'd think experience and qualifications would stand on their own ground but not necessarily so in Oz.
well you cant move in my childrens school for parent helpers. i was doing 3 mornings a week, with 2 groups of children. they had their own files for me, and i had objectives to meet. i can no longer do that, as i have this 2 day a week job, and i dont know the days. why should schools employ teachers aides if they have all these 'helpers', even if some of them dont know what they are doing. i understand it is more of a case of who you know rather than what you know, as most of the aides i have spoken to havent got any qualifications at all.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:08 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

me or soonbethere on the pm? cos if it was me, i havent got it

what has p retrained as lace?
are you still working at IGA?

love to you all honey.
xx
I got one, I got one!!
thanks for the support Lace!
SB good luck, things can only get better, and think what it would feel like if we were in blighty, raining, cold, and pennyless, looking for a job, any job.
Someone on here had a message "same s**t different bucket" how right they are! x
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:23 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by soonbethere
I got one, I got one!!
thanks for the support Lace!
SB good luck, things can only get better, and think what it would feel like if we were in blighty, raining, cold, and pennyless, looking for a job, any job.
Someone on here had a message "same s**t different bucket" how right they are! x
.............yep, although i had a great job in the uk as a teachers aide and O/H was earning decent money

we will get there, i know that. its just so fustrating on the road there,
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

LOl she got one lol

yeah I rang you SB.. how did the interview go?

I know what you mean about the teachers aide. I was doing this in the UK. The jobs are like rocking horse Shit here lol.

He trained in security and got a job at the Airport but it took 7 weeks for him to get it and a lot of nail biting.

There are some jobs from coles in Broome soonbethere lol

not too far away then

Lace xxx
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:21 am
visa granted 16/5/06

I'VE GOT AN INTERVIEW- I'VE GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!
sorry, just couldn't help myself there! I applied for this about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and thought they weren't interested in me, anyhow totally out of the blue i got the call last night to ask me to call in today at 12.00. (sounds like they had started someone, and it didn't work out??)
I will let you all know how it went, fingers crossed-( oh- its an admin role in a physio nearby ......)
I've never been excited for an interview before, I have never been nervous for an interview either, lets hope i keep my cool !!! whats happening to me!!!h my:

Feet on the ground, deep breaths......
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, just couldn't help myself there! I applied for this about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and thought they weren't interested in me, anyhow totally out of the blue i got the call last night to ask me to call in today at 12.00. (sounds like they had started someone, and it didn't work out??)
I will let you all know how it went, fingers crossed-( oh- its an admin role in a physio nearby ......)
I've never been excited for an interview before, I have never been nervous for an interview either, lets hope i keep my cool !!! whats happening to me!!!h my:

I think it takes them about that long to get through the applications

Good luck
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:59 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you well for the interview later, I have yet to look for work, am waiting till we are settled in our own place, but it sounds like it could be fun and games to come!!!!

Shirley

(May just go for my original idea and work from home - Anyone NOR Perth needs legs waxed, eyebrows tinted & shaped? )
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yipeeee she has an interview thank bloody god

come on girl you can do it.

Shirley will be calling you soon just have to lose another few kilos and then I'll be ready miss money penny lol

My works phoned me back up and gave me a job back without the bitch of a manager she has been sacked. There is a god!! lol

gppd luck hun xx

lace xxxx
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

[with regards the comments from the Bloke, its unfortunate you made those comments about the lady, i wish people would think before they open there mouth, its as though the "Bloke" put his mouth into gear before engaging the Brain.??

If the lady spends time with her family on a saturday thats fine we all have a life you know. As for the comments about canteen lady's your well out of order there mate, i hope you are NOT a Thatcher supporter because it appears the comments where a direct derogatory dig a females in general and belive me mate your on your own there, imagine facing all these females on here, you will be like the "Lone Ranger".

arthur

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.