Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Originally Posted by laverda down under
Well i have a "contractors" job as a computer tech, but so far one job a week, which just about pays the petrol lol. also was offered another computer tech job today, but what they wanted and what they paid was unrealistic. However, i have finally been offered a job, again in computers, have had no choice but to take it, though i woud prefer to stick with the guy i have signed a contract with, but no work means no bills get paid, its a tough situation, loyalty over quick fix!
i have also found a job that i have applied for that is my history and experience down to a tee, the downside...its in new zealand, though this appeals big time, do i want yet another huge move and huge costs so early since moving to Aus.
I also contacted out local governament about my plight, however i got a reply stateing they are nt an employment agent, and stats show only 3% are unemployed ..... Full Time.. that is. and he cant see why i am struggling!

Sometimes i do wonder why i came here, all the promises Howard was giving, but once were here, there are no promises. Theres a niche in the market, employment agency for skilled migrants
Theres a niche in the market, employment agency for skilled migrants

you might be onto something!!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Both my boys work part time at Bakers delight, 16yr old on 10 bucks and 17 yer old on 12 bucks, if your 21 and casual you get 20 bucks thats not bad for a front counter staff.

Jo
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Clerical agencies like Select are pretty good. Both my son (18 at the time) and hubby when he first came here, got some temporary work. So long as you can work a computer and know your way round the MS Office suite there seems to be plenty of basic admin work out there. It pays the bills until you can get something permanent. Son had a 6 week placement at Brisbane Water while he waited for Uni to start. Hubby had a placement at Qld govt. The agency ask you to do a competency test and once they have used you a couple of times and know they can trust you to turn up to jobs on time etc you're in.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Both my boys work part time at Bakers delight, 16yr old on 10 bucks and 17 yer old on 12 bucks, if your 21 and casual you get 20 bucks thats not bad for a front counter staff.

Jo
$20 is about £8? I'd say that's bloody good for working in a shop! No offence to people who work in shops, I've done it myself, but in the UK I think you'd consider yourself wellpaid on £7, and plenty work for less.