Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

** Who Is Going To/living On Sunshine Coast

** Who Is Going To/living On Sunshine Coast

Old Dec 30th 2005, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** Who Is Going To/living On Sunshine Coast

We'll be your neighbours Jane hon. Were going to live on the Sunshine coast near Redcliffe.

See you there, have a fab new year
hugs Lace x
Old Dec 30th 2005, 11:32 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
We want to go ASAP, hopefully April.

TAFE would be OK I would have thought (the one near Mountain Creek), the one over in Nambour might not be so good though (for making friends at least). I think the TAFE's have a wider catchment area where as the schools are local only. Our son plans to go to school for the remainder of next year (year 12) then either TAFE or similar.

Have you been over yet?
Hi Kevin

I think you'll find that TAFE's don't have a 'catchment' at all. Each TAFE offers different courses. The one at Mountain Creek offers courses on catering, hairdressing & beauty therapy etc....amongst other things. The one at Maroochydore does Business Admin, Real estate etc. The one at Nambour is where my other half has had to go to get his electrical licences sorted, but prob does loads of other courses too. So it depends on what your son wants to do, not where you live.

Oh and as far as the uniform goes at Mt Creek High.....its ok. My lad starts yr 11 in Jan & he thinks its ok....lets face it...all the others are wearing it & any kid would feel odd to look any diff from everyone else wouldn't they?
Old Dec 31st 2005, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep
Hi Kevin

I think you'll find that TAFE's don't have a 'catchment' at all. Each TAFE offers different courses. The one at Mountain Creek offers courses on catering, hairdressing & beauty therapy etc....amongst other things. The one at Maroochydore does Business Admin, Real estate etc. The one at Nambour is where my other half has had to go to get his electrical licences sorted, but prob does loads of other courses too. So it depends on what your son wants to do, not where you live.

Oh and as far as the uniform goes at Mt Creek High.....its ok. My lad starts yr 11 in Jan & he thinks its ok....lets face it...all the others are wearing it & any kid would feel odd to look any diff from everyone else wouldn't they?
When we were over we went to Nambour TAFE (my son was thinking of doing Plumbing), it looked nice, Nambour looked a bit sleepy though.
Mountain Creek High seemed really nice, big swimming pool next door, decent performing arts building etc. When we were there the children (or young adults) were practising for end of year formals. Everywhere we went there were people dancing!!
Weren't like that when I was at school (oops, sounding like my parents now :-))
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

*bump*

Noosa anyone ??
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:57 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Noosa ? :scared:
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Noosa ?

go on mate, get it off your chest!!

all i sem to be able to establish is that its bloody well expensive

im struggling with getting the girls into catholic schools to be honest mate
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Ah you already know.

Nice if you can afford it but I was just going to say it has a rep for being yuppy land and very expensive.

That was all.....you know my opinion of SC.....never been but like the look and sound of it.

Another very good spot is supposed to be Coulandra. Tried that one ?
Buderim is there too I think - Artep lives there.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Ah you already know.

Nice if you can afford it but I was just going to say it has a rep for being yuppy land and very expensive.

That was all.....you know my opinion of SC.....never been but like the look and sound of it.

Another very good spot is supposed to be Coulandra. Tried that one ?
Buderim is there too I think - Artep lives there.

i have had an email back from catholic school in caloundra simply saying get intouch when you get here. so not a no but not a yes!! all others are full poop
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:54 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
i have had an email back from catholic school in caloundra simply saying get intouch when you get here. so not a no but not a yes!! all others are full poop
hey rooksie

shame about the catholic school - was it Unity that said that? to be honest by the time you get here they'll prob have built another one!

i work some days in noosa and the rep is that its expensive which is true - bit like comparing paignton to totnes? its also called 'latteville' by SC's.

its a bit funny cos its so spread out with noosa heads, noosa junction, noosaville, sunshine beach, tewantin - but all the same a beautiful place, with beautiful people. check out an overview on multimap.com
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Koala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone

We're Paul and Gill and we've been living on the Sunshine Coast for about a year and a half now. Like some of you guys here, we live up in the Blackall Range. We're currently renting in Flaxton but move to our new place in Montville shortly. My Dad lives in Caloundra (about 15 years now) and I've got one brother in Caloundra and one in Toowoomba (in QLD but nowhere near the sunny coast). Anyone comtemplating a move to Australia should check out this piece of paradise. We love it here. The beauty of both the beach and the rain forest - truly a wonderful place to live.

Mount Coolum (going back to a much earlier post on this thread) is a great rock to climb. When the planes fly in to the Sunshine Coast airport it's weird looking out to sea and seeing them come in to land 'below' you!

And Mount Ninderry affords fantastic views of the Maroochy river. This place is gorgeous!

We're also thinking about a meet and greet service for migrants coming to this part of the world. Anyone offering accommodation to migrants on arrival (no matter where they are arriving - not necessarily just the Sunshine Coast, all across Australia) please get in touch with us through our Web site and we'll start a list of details - links etc. Our web site is: www.koalakonnection.com.au

Paul and Gill
www.koalakonnection.com.au
Anything else we can do to help?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Koala Konnection
Hi Everyone

We're Paul and Gill and we've been living on the Sunshine Coast for about a year and a half now. Like some of you guys here, we live up in the Blackall Range. We're currently renting in Flaxton but move to our new place in Montville shortly. My Dad lives in Caloundra (about 15 years now) and I've got one brother in Caloundra and one in Toowoomba (in QLD but nowhere near the sunny coast). Anyone comtemplating a move to Australia should check out this piece of paradise. We love it here. The beauty of both the beach and the rain forest - truly a wonderful place to live.

Mount Coolum (going back to a much earlier post on this thread) is a great rock to climb. When the planes fly in to the Sunshine Coast airport it's weird looking out to sea and seeing them come in to land 'below' you!

And Mount Ninderry affords fantastic views of the Maroochy river. This place is gorgeous!

We're also thinking about a meet and greet service for migrants coming to this part of the world. Anyone offering accommodation to migrants on arrival (no matter where they are arriving - not necessarily just the Sunshine Coast, all across Australia) please get in touch with us through our Web site and we'll start a list of details - links etc. Our web site is: www.koalakonnection.com.au

Paul and Gill
www.koalakonnection.com.au
Anything else we can do to help?
Just had a look at your link...looks a good website. Cheers.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
hey rooksie

shame about the catholic school - was it Unity that said that? to be honest by the time you get here they'll prob have built another one!

i work some days in noosa and the rep is that its expensive which is true - bit like comparing paignton to totnes? its also called 'latteville' by SC's.

its a bit funny cos its so spread out with noosa heads, noosa junction, noosaville, sunshine beach, tewantin - but all the same a beautiful place, with beautiful people. check out an overview on multimap.com

Hi - yes it was Unity. However, as they are both still of primary school age we have got them places at Our Lady of Rosary and then when they leave that school they should hopefully get places at Unity in the secondary school phase. fingers crossed
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:41 am
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Originally Posted by morrelllinda
Hello there

Never mind who is going to live on the Sunshine Coast who is already living on the Sunshine Coast is the question.

Hi I am Linda and emigrated here 2003 my husband and I are living on Mount Ninderry overlooking Mount Coolum. We came from Runswick Bay in the UK where I used to run a very successful B&B. Life on the sunshine coast is paradise. Bit rainy today but generally every day is sunny.

I have some friends who recently emigrated to Melbourne and they told me they had great difficulty in the transitition period from arriving and getting there new life up and running. I helped where I could but not being to familiar with Victoria and not living down there they struggled on there own with a few issues.

It was suggested to me to register on the Expat register and see if I can help all you weary travellers coming to Qld. I am in the process of arranging a web site to show what we can offer. A friendly face to meet people arriving was the big thing. Getting people organised in the initial couple of days of their arrival, and longer if necessary.
Helping newcomers to understand the rules and regulations of this State and pointing people in the right direction with regards to any issues they might find daunting. Accomodation - Car hire and buying cars - Registering cars - buying houses - Solicitors - Medicare - all the stuff you know so well in the UK is always a little different here. Believe me we found that out for ourselves.

We have accomodation here for up to 4 people - it is the end annex of our house and would be like a Boutique 2 Bedroom appartment with sea views, with all the mod cons. We are 10 mins from the beach 5 mins from the main H/Way in an excellent position to peruse the whole area. It is tranquil, with swimming pool large patio and a huge rainforest with resident ducks and roos, the lorikeets come daily and the black cockatoos come to tell us when the rain is due. All in all its paradise. We know lots of expats and have got a wide variety of Australian friends so as you can imagine life is wonderful.

Do you think this idea of helping people with the transition of leaving the UK arriving in Australia and the interim settling down period would be a good idea. I wont be able to take children below the age of 15 as we have a huge lagoon which would be rather dangerous, plus it is more Boutique accomodation not suitable for families with children.

Pleas let me know your thoughts as these ideas are in the early stages and we would value you comment.
Regards Linda
Hello
we live in Sleights Nr, Whitby just up the coast from Runswick Bay! ... at least till the 24th March when our house sale completes..yippee!!!
We are renting until June when we will fly out to the Brisbane area, could settle there or Sunshine/Gold Coast, will travel around and decide when we get over there. Its been snowing most of this week in and around Whitby, very pretty but freezing cold!
Glad you have settled well.
Angie
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:05 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21
We'll be your neighbours Jane hon. Were going to live on the Sunshine coast near Redcliffe.

See you there, have a fab new year
hugs Lace x
Great stuff, as soon as the house sells we will be over to have a look and find our new home !!!!
J xxx